Before 1L: Which is better (or worse)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
englawyer

Before 1L: Which is better (or worse)

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:39 pm

I am in a weird situation. I am currently unemployed, and have a 6-7 month chunk of time before law school. I am employable as an engineer.

Option 1 Get a "real" engineering job at a company. I will have to be dishonest and not mention law school, or else I will have no shot. This will also look shady to OCI /future employers, since it would only be a 6 month gig. The big plus is I could save more $$ before heading to school, but not such an enormous sum that it would be worth jeopardizing my future prospects in any way.

Option 2 Get by on tutoring/part-time work/etc. Well not impressive, it is probably less shady than #1, but then again they might roll their eyes at a weird resume gap.

What do you all think from a legal employment perspective?

Anonymous User

Re: Before 1L: Which is better (or worse)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:48 pm

NO to option 1 and yes to option 2.

You don't want to make yourself look bad but screwing over an employer in option 1. I found a new job, but luckily found out I got into law school. HR of the new employer were so relieved that I told them the truth and did not take the new job with plans of leaving six months from now. Do not do it.

For option 2, who do you mean by "they?" Your future employer? You could have been using your time to travel and enjoy life before the three hardest years of your life. Law firm recruiters care about grades and school name.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:51 pm

By they I meant prospective legal employers.

Well I would like to travel and enjoy life, I still have rent to pay and whatnot. Perhaps I will do a fair share of relaxing while working part-time, which should be enough to get by.

Thank you for the response!

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:52 pm

I had the same situation, and decided to go with option 2. I didn't feel good about screwing someone that tried to give me an opportunity.

Good Luck

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:I had the same situation, and decided to go with option 2. I didn't feel good about screwing someone that tried to give me an opportunity.

Good Luck

makes sense. i will probably do the same.

sapp

Postby sapp » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:35 pm

If you really want experience as an engineer...

Find a job as a contract engineer. Then you're being honest (you don't expect full long term employment from them) and they're being honest (they don't intend for you to be a full long term employee).

P.S. Engineering companies need lawyers and outside counsel too. Having knowledge and experience in both could help you fill a lucrative nitch in the future.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Any thoughts about taking a job, working for 1.5 years instead of just 0.5 years and deferring LS for 1 year?

My only reasoning for this is that I've noticed that most of the people that I know w/ 1L summer jobs lined up are those who have had previous substantive work experience. Granted it could be the crappy economy speaking, but I think the w/e gives people an advantage at the end of the day. Plus waiting 1 more year to go to LS may be helpful anyway in terms of saving money and also coming in at a time when the market has time to bounce back. Right now it's still pretty crappy for everyone, including 1Ls.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:12 pm

I actually have 2.5 years of experience already in the engineering field. I am a non-traditional (entering at 26) so I am hesitant to wait another year. If I were 23, I think your advice is spot on though.

Return to “Legal Employment”