Interviewing after accepting an offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interviewing after accepting an offer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Hey guys --

Yesterday I accepted an offer with a non-vault, but still fairly highly regarded firm. I really like the firm, and I really like all the people I met with. I'd be genuinely happy working there.

Today, I received an invite to interview with a very high vault firm, that is also one of the top firms in the area of law which I want to practice.

On one hand, interviewing would allow me to get my foot in the door and perhaps make an impression for when I interview with them next year.

On the other, if I interviewed and got an offer and turned it down, wouldn't that look a little weird for next year? And I don't want to waste their time/money...

Advice?

Anonymous User

Re: Interviewing after accepting an offer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:46 pm

It is highly unethical to interview after already accepting an offer. Do not do it!

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:57 pm

Sounds like a good opportunity to contact firm #2 and explain that, while you have already accepted employment elsewhere for this summer, you remain very interested in firm #2 and would still appreciate meeting with the interviewers so you can introduce yourself and learn a bit more about the firm. Offer to meet informally with the interviewers, perhaps during a break if this is some sort of highly structured OCI event, so as not to take up too much of their time.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:Sounds like a good opportunity to contact firm #2 and explain that, while you have already accepted employment elsewhere for this summer, you remain very interested in firm #2 and would still appreciate meeting with the interviewers so you can introduce yourself and learn a bit more about the firm. Offer to meet informally with the interviewers, perhaps during a break if this is some sort of highly structured OCI event, so as not to take up too much of their time.
This is good advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:24 pm

betasteve wrote:Why not ask if you can split the summer?
The program I was accepted to doesn't allow split summers.

Also, I'm a 1L. Not sure if that changes anything for anyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:47 pm

I don't think this Vault firm would care about you turning them down, so I wouldn't worry about that.

But it might be wrong in principle to go on an interview knowing full well that you would not accept. I'm not sure.
Sounds like a good opportunity to contact firm #2 and explain that, while you have already accepted employment elsewhere for this summer, you remain very interested in firm #2 and would still appreciate meeting with the interviewers so you can introduce yourself and learn a bit more about the firm. Offer to meet informally with the interviewers, perhaps during a break if this is some sort of highly structured OCI event, so as not to take up too much of their time.
I think this would make them LOL and say never mind. However, it might be the honest choice and I certainly don't think it would have any negative impact. Plus you might actually get an informal interview.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:52 pm

You simply can't do this (unless both firms indicate there's the possiblity of a split). Not only is it unethical, but some career services offices threaten to ban you from OCI if you interview with an offer in hand and they find out.
Anonymous Loser wrote:Sounds like a good opportunity to contact firm #2 and explain that, while you have already accepted employment elsewhere for this summer, you remain very interested in firm #2 and would still appreciate meeting with the interviewers so you can introduce yourself and learn a bit more about the firm. Offer to meet informally with the interviewers, perhaps during a break if this is some sort of highly structured OCI event, so as not to take up too much of their time.
This sounds like your best option.

jamaicanjynx

New

Post by jamaicanjynx » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:26 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:You simply can't do this (unless both firms indicate there's the possiblity of a split). Not only is it unethical, but some career services offices threaten to ban you from OCI if you interview with an offer in hand and they find out.
This sounds like your best option.

Bolded part is what I thought about. Check with your OCS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Declined interview, but asked to come in for a more informational interview over the summer. They were happy to do so, and want to stay in touch.

Thanks for the advice guys.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Declined interview, but asked to come in for a more informational interview over the summer. They were happy to do so, and want to stay in touch.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Definitely the right move. You're in great shape for this summer, and that's great you got the informational interview. It'll put you on their screens more so than the other people at OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”