Will we really be making $160,000? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Renzo

Gold

Re: Will we really be making $160,000?

Post by Renzo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:09 am

legends159 wrote:I think you meant international human rights law.
Everyone knows you don't go into human rights law for the money. It's about helping people while jetting from nation to nation like you're on perpetual vacation.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:42 am

Renzo wrote:
Everyone knows you don't go into human rights law for the money. It's about helping people while jetting from nation to nation like you're on perpetual vacation.

Whatever. There are tons of these jobs out there, ripe for the picking. People working in store front personal injury mills off Stuphin Blvd in Jamaica Queens, chasing down $2,011.43 in statutory fees for no-fault auto filings and a divorce, name change and domestic abuse conviction expungement package special for $541.93 + filing fees are all there by choice. Those guys didn't 'work their butts off' in LS and they attended schools ranked 53 instead of 47, so no one should ever consider that after all their hard work they might end up doing something other than flying off to Zurich to handle a conference on protecting a dying breed of Tazmanian antelopes.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:50 am

reasonable_man wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Whatever. There are tons of these jobs out there, ripe for the picking. People working in store front personal injury mills off Stuphin Blvd in Jamaica Queens, chasing down $2,011.43 in statutory fees for no-fault auto filings and a divorce, name change and domestic abuse conviction expungement package special for $541.93 + filing fees are all there by choice. Those guys didn't 'work their butts off' in LS and they attended schools ranked 53 instead of 47, so no one should ever consider that after all their hard work they might end up doing something other than flying off to Zurich to handle a conference on protecting a dying breed of Tazmanian antelopes.
Just when I thought it couldn't get any better...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:58 am

reasonable_man wrote:
Renzo wrote:

I love you.

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:20 pm

boilercat wrote:FWIW I already have a T10 acceptance and I'm going into it with the mindset that I'm going to get median grades wherever I go and end up slaving away at a $60k job unless the legal job market improves significantly.
So why are you going to law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:52 am

reasonable_man wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Can you have sex with these Tazmanian antelopes?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:03 am

ughOSU wrote:
liplaw wrote:I hear a lot that even though many top schools advertise that the median salary is $160,000, that in actuality that info is very misleading.
with grammar like that, you will not be making $160,000 per year.
:lol:

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:09 am

LjakW wrote:
boilercat wrote:FWIW I already have a T10 acceptance and I'm going into it with the mindset that I'm going to get median grades wherever I go and end up slaving away at a $60k job unless the legal job market improves significantly.
1) This is a pessimistic mindset so that I don't set my expectations too high.
2) Even being a senior at a top UG with good grades getting a lot of callbacks, I can't get a $60k job now in this shitty economy.
3) It's not entirely about the $$$

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 am

boilercat wrote:
LjakW wrote:
2) Even being a senior at a top UG with good grades getting a lot of callbacks, I can't get a $60k job now in this shitty economy.

Umm.. In a good economy, only certain types of majors could command a 60k+ starting salary from a 'top U-grad.' Not picking a fight here, but just sayin..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:51 am

detljgh wrote:Like I posted in another forum, my GPA is a 4.0 with 25% of professors reporting.
I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:55 am

reasonable_man wrote:
boilercat wrote:
LjakW wrote:

Umm.. In a good economy, only certain types of majors could command a 60k+ starting salary from a 'top U-grad.' Not picking a fight here, but just sayin..

Check and check :wink:. I've had so many callbacks, the state of the economy is just making it so difficult to close an offer. At one or two of these jobs (one of which I still have a decent shot at), I would actually pull in over $70k. Back before everything crashed, people with 'worse' majors and worse grades than me were easily getting these jobs.

(like you, not trying to be a douche, sorry if i come off as a jerk)
Last edited by los blancos on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:58 am

reasonable_man wrote:Umm.. In a good economy, only certain types of majors could command a 60k+ starting salary from a 'top U-grad.' Not picking a fight here, but just sayin..
In a good economy it's goddamn easy to make $60k if you're willing to go get the jobs that pay it.

I was a freakin' film major and I was making $60k when I quit to go to law school. It was a job that didn't care what my major was, and hell, wouldn't have even required a degree if I had more experience. There are jobs out there that you can get with almost any degree, it's just that almost nobody wants them, they're not considered desirable, so they get overlooked.

(No, I will not name or describe what I did. Yes, I hated the job enough to quit and go back to school. Money is indeed not everything. For an equivalent job experience see: Police officer. You get pay bonuses for having a bachelor's degree and can be making $60k+ within 2-3 years of hiring. But does everyone rush out to be a police officer in a good economy? No. It's only in a shitty economy where they can't even find lower-paying stable work that people really start lusting after the job.)

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:07 am

vanwinkle wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Umm.. In a good economy, only certain types of majors could command a 60k+ starting salary from a 'top U-grad.' Not picking a fight here, but just sayin..
In a good economy it's goddamn easy to make $60k if you're willing to go get the jobs that pay it.

I was a freakin' film major and I was making $60k when I quit to go to law school. It was a job that didn't care what my major was, and hell, wouldn't have even required a degree if I had more experience. There are jobs out there that you can get with almost any degree, it's just that almost nobody wants them, they're not considered desirable, so they get overlooked.

(No, I will not name or describe what I did. Yes, I hated the job enough to quit and go back to school. Money is indeed not everything. For an equivalent job experience see: Police officer. You get pay bonuses for having a bachelor's degree and can be making $60k+ within 2-3 years of hiring. But does everyone rush out to be a police officer in a good economy? No. It's only in a shitty economy where they can't even find lower-paying stable work that people really start lusting after the job.)
Actually... if not for the fact that I couldn't take the pay cut, I'd totally be a cop.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”