Interview with Judge

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview with Judge

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi all,

I have an interview with a state judge next week for a summer internship. For those of you who have interviewed with judges, what was the interview like and what kind of questions were you asked? Unfortunately, I already know that I'm going to be interviewing with at least two people (the judge and the judge's assistant -- I dislike interviews that aren't one on one). Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Ipsa Dixit

Re: Interview with Judge

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:32 pm

I was just asked general questions about law school and what I was working on for law review. I asked questions about the court, the work interns do, and the backgrounds and experiences of the people I was interviewing with. Very conversational, more of a get-to-know-your-personality type of thing. Actually, the interviews I have had with the judges are the most enjoyable interviews I have been too.

If I were you, I would relax, wear a good suit, have some questions to ask about the court and the interviewers, and ask around at school if anyone has worked for this particular judge before since that could help you form better questions.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm doing a judicial exernship this summer, and the interview was basically just a conversation about school and how things were going and why I wanted to work there. I did some research on the judge beforehand and that was pretty much all I needed. Naturally every interviewer will have at least a slightly different style, but it was very low-stress for me. None of those jive behavioral questions or anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm doing a federal judicial internship 1L summer. In my interview, we mainly talked about my goals, why I was interested in the internship, and some of my previous experiences. I talked at length with the judge's clerk about my interests, which we happened to share in large part. I asked lots of questions about what the work was like, intern's duties, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing a federal judicial internship 1L summer. In my interview, we mainly talked about my goals, why I was interested in the internship, and some of my previous experiences. I talked at length with the judge's clerk about my interests, which we happened to share in large part. I asked lots of questions about what the work was like, intern's duties, etc.
Pretty much the same here. The clerks also tossed out a couple fairly open ended questions that made me think a little (favorite Constitutional provision, etc), but the questions weren't hard and I think they were more interested in my thought process than the actual substance of my answers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing a federal judicial internship 1L summer. In my interview, we mainly talked about my goals, why I was interested in the internship, and some of my previous experiences. I talked at length with the judge's clerk about my interests, which we happened to share in large part. I asked lots of questions about what the work was like, intern's duties, etc.

Is it ok to say that you are interested bc you think it would be a really great experience and you're interested in how the courts make changes in the community? I find that question really hard to answer, kind of like why are you going to law school? the law really interests me and i want to make changes...i don't know what else to say

Return to “Legal Employment”