Law Firm Expectations....? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
heyguys

Bronze

Law Firm Expectations....?

Post by heyguys » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:46 am

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask a question about what law firms are expecting to see on a resume for a law student they are considering hiring.

Obviously, grades, quality of school, and class rank are central; however, are there any other things that your general run of the mill biglaw firm would be expecting? Mock trial experience? Secondary journals at least? Clerking?

I guess I'm asking this for all those out there who know that they just aren't all that terribly interested in being super involved during law school for whatever reason (family commitments, just lazy, just don't really like law school, etc).

Are grades and quality of school sufficient, or just necessary? I know that for the very top firms or appellate firms stuff such as clerking and journal are important, but what about your general V100 or NLJ 250 firm?

Thanks

cornell1L

New

Re: Law Firm Expectations....?

Post by cornell1L » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:53 am

School/grades are the most important factor. Other than that most firms like to see journal participation and a legal 1L summer job that you can talk intelligently about. Beyond that don't worry about other extras.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:54 am

heyguys wrote:Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask a question about what law firms are expecting to see on a resume for a law student they are considering hiring.

Obviously, grades, quality of school, and class rank are central; however, are there any other things that your general run of the mill biglaw firm would be expecting? Mock trial experience? Secondary journals at least? Clerking?

I guess I'm asking this for all those out there who know that they just aren't all that terribly interested in being super involved during law school for whatever reason (family commitments, just lazy, just don't really like law school, etc).

Are grades and quality of school sufficient, or just necessary? I know that for the very top firms or appellate firms stuff such as clerking and journal are important, but what about your general V100 or NLJ 250 firm?

Thanks
I don't think you need to be super involved, but I think that becoming involved in a student group and being on a journal would be a good idea. Being completely uninvolved may send a red flag. Plus, you never know if sometime down the line you'll want to clerk, and it's always good to have journal experience if that happens (plus you'll get academic credit for it so it isn't completely wasted time). And as always, school prestige and grades will be important, as will convincing the firm that you have ties to their geographical location.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 am

As other posters have said, it's pretty much a function of grades and school.

Other than that, personality factors and other "softs" can come into play to a greater or lesser degree. Softs include (in vague order of importance): URM status, Networking (knowing someone who matters in the firm), Law Review, specifically relevant work experience (like ibanking for transactional work), personality (can be greater or lesser emphasis depending on firm- bigger sway for outliers), Moot Court, other journals, other extra-circulars.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”