Bay Area Students: PIPS Day

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
deadatheist

Bay Area Students: PIPS Day

Postby deadatheist » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:43 am

I saw the east coast public interest fair has a thread. I figured if anyone else is participating in the bay's equivalent, PIPS Day -or has anything to share about their experience thus far- we could share here. Could be interesting...
Last edited by deadatheist on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

deadatheist

Re: Bay Area Students: Share your PIPS Day experience & thoughts

Postby deadatheist » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:49 am

i suppose i can share my experience thus far. i personally wasn't too interested in many of the employers, so i ended up only applying for one position. but i did get an interview. not a bad ratio.

interested to see what anyone else may have to share! gl too if you're reading this! :)

Ipsa Dixit

Re: Bay Area Students: PIPS Day

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:15 pm

I applied for 4 positions, but got no interviews. Two of the employers I applied for and that had been listed for formal interviews listed 0 slots on the 29th so I am not sure if that means those employers backed out or what. Given the no interviews, I am not sure I really want to drive to SF for this since I am in Sacramento.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 pm

i had previously applied for 7 and only got 2 interviews which I canceled.

I think organizations pulled out if people applied to positions directly and they filled them.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:14 pm

I have yet to meet anyone at Berkeley who got an interview at this thing. I only applied to 2 and got nothing, but after hearing about everybody else I'm glad I didn't spend more time on the apps. From what I've heard, a lot of people seem to be pretty annoyed that they got the impression to wait for PIPS day to apply with a lot of these orgs, and they would have been better off submitting apps independently and earlier.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:26 pm

wow that sucks that some organizations didn't reserve slots for this event.

This summer is so tough that people are having trouble finding non-paying work.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
legends159 wrote:wow that sucks that some organizations didn't reserve slots for this event.

I hope fall OCI works out better. I am already feeling stressed.

It will simply for the fact that we will actually provide value to the firm and we won't be competing with unemployed 2Ls.

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:17 pm

legends159 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
legends159 wrote:wow that sucks that some organizations didn't reserve slots for this event.

I hope fall OCI works out better. I am already feeling stressed.

It will simply for the fact that we will actually provide value to the firm and we won't be competing with unemployed 2Ls.

ROFLcopter

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:19 pm

legends159

Postby legends159 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:47 pm

why is that funny?

2L hiring provides value in the form of filling in the recruitment pipelines. Something 1L hiring rarely does.

And 1L summer hiring this year was especially difficult b/c there were a lot of 2Ls to compete with. The same 2Ls that in prior years had something locked up were competing for things with 1Ls this year. Sure that has happened in the past, but not with as great a force and from as many students with decent grades from good schools. With their one summer of legal experience and more grades/could apply to stuff before Dec. 1st deadline, there were fewer jobs to begin with on top of the constriction of the legal market.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:51 pm

legends159 wrote:why is that funny?

You don't find anything remotely amusing about that haircut? Seriously? That's just an average, every-day 'do for you?

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:40 am

I can't see the image but I imagine it's the picture of the lady with a helicopter hairdo?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:44 am

After talking to a couple 2Ls, apparently they took a lot of the interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:07 pm

worldtraveler wrote:After talking to a couple 2Ls, apparently they took a lot of the interviews.

That could make sense. It seems like a lot of 1ls I've spoken with have been unsuccessful in securing interviews. But many still plan to attend anyways.

How do you know how many interview slots each employer has?

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:27 pm

If it makes you guys feel any better, I sent my resume to one of the orgs that's interviewing at PIPS in December and they told me that they weren't making any decisions until after the job fair, so I should let them know then (on Monday) if I'm still interested.

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:02 pm

just in case anyone is reading this and interested, but not participating or receiving the emails, I thought I'd share the following:
We have received numerous questions about the meaning of "number of slots" for each employer. Please note that a 0 only means that that employer's schedule is full. We have not had any Formal Interview cancellations. If there are slots available, then we are slotting in "pending" students or the employer may have left open some slots.

i thought this was interesting, i totally got the feeling (from here and from conversations with other students) some orgs had cancelled interviews.

stay tuned...

strokes4ever

Postby strokes4ever » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:33 am

Just an update on PI/PS day 2012 for future Bay Area students on TLS:

I'm a 1L and received a few interviews, and in fact got a couple of offers the following Monday. Only one employer cancelled, but overall it was a highly successful and well put together event. Meet the Advocates day was interesting, but I was happy to have interviews with the organizations I was interested in and not having to go up to employers "career fair" style to submit a resume.

Again, I have only good things to say about it, and if you apply to enough organizations and target your letters, I think you can get a few interviews, and then it's all up to you. There were quite a few students from T4 schools with interviews as well, FWIW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:38 am

Bay Area Law School PI/PS Day 2014 will be on Saturday, February 1, 2014 from 9 am - 5:15 pm at UC Hastings College of the Law.

Tomorrow (Friday, January 24th) we will hear back to find out if we've been selected for an interview. Post here if with stats!

Year:
School:
Applied to: #
Selected to Interview for: #
Significant WE?
Advanced Degree?
GPA Range: Below/at around/above 3.0
Other:

Return to “Legal Employment”