Take the job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Take the job?

Postby lil10isman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:52 pm

1L at Loyola Chicago, tier 2. Got about 3.0 last semester, right at the median. I was offered a summer internship for a sole practitioner that's unpaid, but only 20 hours a week. I heard it's a fantastic teaching program for clerking.

Should I keep looking for a paying gig or should I just settle considering the market in Chicago is terrible and I didn't hit the ball out of the park with my grades last semester?

Thanks everyone. I know it's not a life or death question but I could use some advice.

Re: Take the job?

Postby ggocat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:24 pm

I would keep looking for (1) a paid gig, or (2) a typical unpaid gig, like government, public interest, or a judge.

I think you should get paid if you are working for a for-profit company.

If you have a strong desire to hang a shingle right out of school, then maybe do it. But I would think that any solo worth his/her salt could afford to pay you something (even $8-10/hour).

Return to “Legal Employment”