Bad Grades but still offered OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bad Grades but still offered OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:27 am

(Note to mods: Anonymous because my regular account name is readily identifiable by those attending my school and I'm not interested in being that guy who makes his success in scoring an interview known or in having my grades public knowledge. If you don't think this should be anonymous, let me know so I can clear the post of information before you reveal my account name.)

My grades aren't stellar (I like to say I'm in the top 80-85% of the class), but I applied for spring 1L OCI out of sheer stubbornness.

My grade distribution is C+, B-, B+, B+, A- (in legal writing, also included fact that I earned highest grade in class on final open memo on resume). Grade problems primarily due to strategic issues with the exam format in the first two exams I took (C+ and B- ), but I resolved them on last two exams to earn median grades (B+). I attend a T30.

I've got decent work experience, one job that particularly translates well to the law. Cover letter and resume carefully crafted to create a brand presenting me as a quick learner, went from having no background in previous field to a go-to resource for industry leading clients in a matter of 1-2 months. I'm hoping this will help my cause with clients reluctant to spend money on associates who don't know what they're doing.

Anyway, I somehow got an interview with a firm I'd really like to work for. I realize the grade issue makes me a long shot, but I doubt they're interviewing anyone and everyone. So, what does it mean that a firm would interview someone with my grade issues? I'd be surprised if people didn't respond with something sarcastic about this being a waste of my time, but do firms regularly interview students with poor grades just for the hell of it? Does anyone have experience with this themselves or know someone who had below median grades, but got a decent firm interview?

The firm in question has over 250 attorneys, regional southeastern and DC offices, and doesn't seem like a small firm.

I'm hoping this means they like everything else they see — I put a lot into tailoring my resume and cover letter for their firm and summer program — and they hope I can put their grade concerns to rest.

Any insight?

NYU2011

Re: Bad Grades but still offered OCI?

Postby NYU2011 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:29 pm

So they've seen your grades, yes? Assuming so, if they were going to reject you based on that criteria alone they wouldn't waste their time with an interview. I'm guessing the tailored cover letter/prior experience helped out a lot. I still think you will have to wow them at the interview, but they wouldn't give you a shot if they were just going to reject you on grades alone. I suggest a practice interview with your OCS if you haven't done so yet. Good luck and congrats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:31 am

I've heard sometimes firms will interview certain people who have no shot in hell just so they can laugh at them (e.g. Cooley students with bad grades). Typically happens with small firms though, not firms with 250+ attorneys.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:23 am

Sounds to me like he has a shot. There's always an exception to the rule. And the rule that there is always an exception to the rule also has an exception. But this rule isn't one of those exceptions. I think you may be the exception to the rule that firms seek students with the best grades. It should give everyone a glimmer of hope that "soft factors" matter in the real world too.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:24 am

PDaddy wrote:There's always an exception to the rule. And the rule that there is always an exception to the rule also has an exception. But this rule isn't one of those exceptions.

:shock:

My head hurts now.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:33 am

Anything is possible, but don't get your hopes up kid. I was one of the many who went through the grip and grin 2L oci process, with callbacks, and still did not get a job through OCI.

But I have no prior job experience; that seemed to be huge this year.

I got a well-paying job but it was in a boutique firm and not through OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:03 am

What does OCI stand for?

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:What does OCI stand for?

OxyContin Injection

gregw8705

Postby gregw8705 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:What does OCI stand for?

Worst flame in TLS history or UVA "OGI" troll?

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:50 am

removed, maybe that wasn't the OP.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:34 pm

URM?

Return to “Legal Employment”