NYU PILC Job Fair Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU PILC Job Fair

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:51 am

Interview schedules were released today. How many interviews did people get? Was it especially tough this year?

I only got 4 interviews and 4 alternates. 2L at CCN.

Edit: that's out of 35 resume uploads.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Re: NYU PILC Job Fair

Post by ZXCVBNM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:57 am

that makes me feel better. 1L at fordham....1 interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:09 am

1 at a T2. And I'm probably going to end up dropping it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:53 am

NYU 1L: 0/7 (but my seven were some of the more coveted ones).
Could people post how many they applied for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:54 am

It's weird, 1Ls at my CCN are only getting 0-2 interviews, but my friend at a T3 got 5. Is there some kind of quota/cap that is imposed on each school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's weird, 1Ls at my CCN are only getting 0-2 interviews, but my friend at a T3 got 5. Is there some kind of quota/cap that is imposed on each school?
Yes... but it's 80% of interviews must go to NYU students, nothing to do with lower level schools that I know of.
I was 1/7, but I'm pretty sure no one else applied for the 1 that I got and that's the only reason they picked me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's weird, 1Ls at my CCN are only getting 0-2 interviews, but my friend at a T3 got 5. Is there some kind of quota/cap that is imposed on each school?
Yes... but it's 80% of interviews must go to NYU students, nothing to do with lower level schools that I know of.
I was 1/7, but I'm pretty sure no one else applied for the 1 that I got and that's the only reason they picked me.

Whoa what? where did you hear this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:11 pm

Career office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:16 pm

that's interesting. there are probably some other caps out there to make it worthwhile for the T2/3 schools to participate. otherwise it's really odd that CLS people are getting 0-2 and yet students are my friend's T3 all seem to have 3-6.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:22 pm

NYU 1L:

3 interviews, 3 alternates, 32 uploads.

From what I hear the table talk is extremely helpful and people are generally very happy with the results of the fair so I wouldn't stress out too much if your interview schedule wasn't exactly what you envisioned.

I met with Deb Ellis (NYU's head PI lady) the other day and she told me that I uploaded way too many resumes but with only 3 interviews lined up I think I should have uploaded even more. Who knows...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:48 pm

UVA 1L:

5 OGI interviews
4 OGI alternates
1 federal agency interview (not through OGI)
Still waiting for a few firms to figure out who they want to interview (or select as alternates) for OGI.

I can't remember the exact number I applied for, but I'd say I had a 1/3 success rate or so for OGI interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UVA 1L:

5 OGI interviews
4 OGI alternates
1 federal agency interview (not through OGI)
Still waiting for a few firms to figure out who they want to interview (or select as alternates) for OGI.

I can't remember the exact number I applied for, but I'd say I had a 1/3 success rate or so for OGI interviews.
Another UVA 1L

15 OGI interviews (5 private, 11 public)
4 OGI alternates (1 private, 1 public)

2/3 success for private firms; 2/3 success for public interest

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:40 pm

...UVA isn't part of the NYU Fair?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:...UVA isn't part of the NYU Fair?
I'm under the impression that some people just wanted to get a sense of how OGI selection is going. Or I just can't read. :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:44 pm

The NYU PILC fair is for public interest only - generally non-profits and gov't. The organizations come to NYU, but the fair is open to several NYC-area law schools.

NYU and I'm sure all of the other schools that attend NYU PILC have the own spring OCI schedule which is completely different.

Might not exactly be comparable to put NYU PILC numbers up against your school's individual OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:47 am

Another NYU 1L.

I uploaded 5, got all 5, including a few of the coveted ones. Just cancelled them all since I got an offer on Weds, so a few will be freed up for alternates. You are welcome.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:53 am

I got two. Very happy! I do think it's based upon prior PI experience, to some degree. A fellow Fordham student who is much stronger in this regard got four interviews and five alternates.

I'm a 1L, and had no grades at the time for them to see.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:59 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I got two. Very happy! I do think it's based upon prior PI experience, to some degree. A fellow Fordham student who is much stronger in this regard got four interviews and five alternates.

Yeah, I think there is a bit of pre-screening that goes on. This is probably supposed to be secret, but they reserve a certain percentage of slots for NYU students, so it puts other participants at a slight disadvantage. The good news is that the PILC office people swear that real hiring takes place at the table-talk, so even if you don't get slots with organizations you like, you might still have a chance to dazzle them.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:02 am

Renzo wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I got two. Very happy! I do think it's based upon prior PI experience, to some degree. A fellow Fordham student who is much stronger in this regard got four interviews and five alternates.

Yeah, I think there is a bit of pre-screening that goes on. This is probably supposed to be secret, but they reserve a certain percentage of slots for NYU students, so it puts other participants at a slight disadvantage. The good news is that the PILC office people swear that real hiring takes place at the table-talk, so even if you don't get slots with organizations you like, you might still have a chance to dazzle them.
LOL at you thinking I am capable of dazzling people. Do you guys really get 80% of the slots, though?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:03 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Renzo wrote:

LOL at you thinking I am capable of dazzling people. Do you guys really get 80% of the slots, though?
It's not that high, but they do require each employer take a quota of NYU students.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:08 am

0/0... the website kept crashing and I gave up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:11 am

superserial wrote:0/0... the website kept crashing and I gave up.
I remember that. I was up all night freaking out.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:11 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
superserial wrote:0/0... the website kept crashing and I gave up.
I remember that. I was up all night freaking out.
yeah... I just said "fuck it" and continued not applying for jobs.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:38 am

I was planning on attending until I secured a good job through non-OCI process later in the game, but I wanted to come and say good luck to everyone attending the NYU PILC Job Fair. I hope everyone gets something good, or at least some interview/grin and grip experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:52 am

I go to Pace. 1L with previous engineering / environmental policy work. I got three interviews - two environmental NGOs and a PD. Our Career Services office also told us that most of the interviews and positions are set aside for NYU students. However, a few organizations I talked to are beating the system by refusing to participate in the quota scheme. They are taking resumes through private email accounts, then "meeting" with participants at the fair and conducting hiring two days later.

I got the interviews before I had any grades, but I am top 10%. I wish I had known.

I also have an interview with a firm in ATL, but that is unrelated to the fair. Random comments. Unfair fair.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”