Which 1L Summer Job? - Got Offers, Don't Know What to Choose

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which 1L Summer Job? - Got Offers, Don't Know What to Choose

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:52 am

I've been on the boards for a while, but have been outed by my classmates/friends so I want to do this anonymously for now.

I'm a median student at a T30 and have 2 offers - one at a major city's US Attorney's Office, and one in the GC office of a national medical-care company. I have by the end of the week to commit. I'm unsure of what I want to do after law school (leaning towards federal work, but want to keep options open). Both are unpaid.

Which looks better on a resume? I would think the USAO, but at the GC's office I'll be the only intern and I'll probably get to really connect with the bosses, etc. because I won't be competing for attention or just be another intern (the USAO division I'd work in takes about 25 interns each summer).

Any non-0Ls have any thoughts? Or is it just a 1L job and therefore doesn't matter?

thesealocust

Re: Which 1L Summer Job? - Got Offers, Don't Know What to Choose

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:26 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:33 pm

doesn't matter

-underdawg

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:44 pm

Congrats on two good options! If you haven't already, ask what your day-to-day responsibilities would be with the GC. Being the only intern could be great, but it could also be terrible. As the only intern, you could get interesting assignments and great substantive experience working with employees, or you could get stuck doing tons of crap that no one else ever wants to do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:21 pm

I'm curious. For those who were offered unpaid interships, does your school provide a stipend? At YLS, we get a generous stipend if working as an unpaid intern.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious. For those who were offered unpaid interships, does your school provide a stipend? At YLS, we get a generous stipend if working as an unpaid intern.

Your definition of "generous" is humbling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm in the same position ironically, also at a T30, deciding between a health related GC position and a USAO position. I'm leaning towards the GC, in part being health related and in part being the only intern. My advice would be the similar if both are in the same city.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:33 am

This wouldn't be a question for me. USAO all the way.

Of course, I am not you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the same position ironically, also at a T30, deciding between a health related GC position and a USAO position. I'm leaning towards the GC, in part being health related and in part being the only intern. My advice would be the similar if both are in the same city.

OP here, I actually just accepted the USAO job. I spoke with a partner at a local biglaw firm who said take the USAO and don't look back. This was echoed by my career development office. Of the 3 people that did the USAO their first summer from my school who are now third years, 2 are working at top biglaw firms, and 1 is at a pretty prestigious nonprofit. That did it for me.

As for a stipend, my school provides them, but you sort of have to fight for it. Its really annoying.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:46 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:53 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This was echoed by my career development office. Of the 3 people that did the USAO their first summer from my school who are now third years, 2 are working at top biglaw firms, and 1 is at a pretty prestigious nonprofit.

I guaran-fucking-tee you it's because they got good grades in law school and not because of their 1L summer job. That being said, the USAO will probably still be a great experience, and congrats - just don't expect it throw open the doors to biglaw.

I know, I completely agree with you. I have no desire to do biglaw at all, and my grades aren't good enough for it anyway.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:03 pm

I'd go with the USAO for your 1L summer. It's more likely that they will know what to do with you. That is, they already have a systemic program of taking a large number of interns. It's probably more well-organized than the company taking zero or one unpaid intern. But if you're still considering the company, then be sure you confirm what your duties will be over the summer before accepting. If this will be a "new" experience for the GC, you never know what you could end up doing. You want to be sure that you will be able to create decent non-school writing sample.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious. For those who were offered unpaid interships, does your school provide a stipend? At YLS, we get a generous stipend if working as an unpaid intern.

Your definition of "generous" is humbling.

Other schools do these stipends, as well. But let's remember that schools pay for those stipends by charging higher tuition. Money in, money out.

edgarderby

Postby edgarderby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:01 am

Just wondering, where are the USAOs? I applied to 4, all in small cities, and got nothing. One of the cities only took a 2L member of our law review. Is ND really this bad in the eyes of government lawyers?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:29 am

I'd take the USAO's office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:00 pm

edgarderby wrote:Just wondering, where are the USAOs? I applied to 4, all in small cities, and got nothing. One of the cities only took a 2L member of our law review. Is ND really this bad in the eyes of government lawyers?

OP here, its in one of the top 10 largest legal markets. So not NYC or DC, but still large. My school has a really good hold on the city where I got the job. Another 1L and a 2L got a job there for the summer (there may be more, but thats all I know of). The USAO comes and actively recruits at my school which helps I assume.

edgarderby

Postby edgarderby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
edgarderby wrote:Just wondering, where are the USAOs? I applied to 4, all in small cities, and got nothing. One of the cities only took a 2L member of our law review. Is ND really this bad in the eyes of government lawyers?

OP here, its in one of the top 10 largest legal markets. So not NYC or DC, but still large. My school has a really good hold on the city where I got the job. Another 1L and a 2L got a job there for the summer (there may be more, but thats all I know of). The USAO comes and actively recruits at my school which helps I assume.

Uh...can I transfer mid-semester?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You tell me north or south of the Mason-Dixon line, and I'll tell you where you go to school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You tell me north or south of the Mason-Dixon line, and I'll tell you where you go to school.

That would make it too easy. I also just got offered a state gov. job through a fellowship program that pays 7k for the summer. I want the USAO job, but 7k would be really nice.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That would make it too easy. I also just got offered a state gov. job through a fellowship program that pays 7k for the summer. I want the USAO job, but 7k would be really nice.

Ah, Emory.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:56 pm

Good guess, but its not Emory.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:01 pm

How's Boston College treating you, OP?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:09 pm

Bankhead wrote:How's Boston College treating you, OP?

Lets be fair, it could be BU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 pm

Renzo wrote:
Bankhead wrote:How's Boston College treating you, OP?

Lets be fair, it could be BU.

Is BC even in the T30 still? Zing! - OP

Return to “Legal Employment”