Outlook overly pessimistic???

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stoicjustice

Outlook overly pessimistic???

Postby stoicjustice » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:49 pm

Can any current students give some insight into the current job prospect situation?

Please don't comment with the normal, "it sucks" - that's not very helpful.

What I am looking for are things such as how many of the people you know directly have jobs lined up. Would you guess that 50% will be employed? 20%? I am just trying to assess how seriously bad things are and how much of all of this is just pessimism.

Nazrix

Re: Outlook overly pessimistic???

Postby Nazrix » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:59 am

T20 in major market. Based on voluntary reporting we have access to (biglaw or near market rate)

class of 2008 - 75- 85% got biglaw summer (of all students, not just ones who wanted biglaw)
Class of 2009 - 60-65%
Class of 2010 - 45-60%

Offer ratio for class of 2010, about 50% seemed to get offers (not based on statistics but observations) Was not related to grades after 1L, top guy, top 20 guy, top 30 guy, know cases where each got offer or no offer.

Varied widely by firm decisions how to deal with over-enrollment of summers.

Number of 3L OCI positions by class of 2010, 0 (nobody came but JAG)

Number of people since Fall 2009 to find employment I know of, 1-3 (not even close to biglaw), number I now who still have nothing, 50-60

Most have given up and send no resumes now, remember you can't just keep applying to the same people. Reasons? Massive hiring freezes, no credentials seem to help now unfortunately, Lie and put a 4.0 on your resume as an experiment I bet it doesn't help, if they have 0 positions to fill, they have 0...you're gonna have to wait in many cases until movement begins again.

Wildcat

Postby Wildcat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:24 pm

School ranked in 60's, regional market.

Prospects are terrible. Really terrible. Previously the school placed around 40% in middle or larger sized firms in the region, basically anyone who wanted a good private sector or public sector job and didn't do poorly grade-wise got one.

I'm class of 2011 and its just depressing. I don't know how anyone below top 25% is going to get a job, minus strong diversity benefits added to a firm or connections. I am top 10% and missed on everything in the fall. I have a few more interviews in the Spring and such, but have low hopes. I could probably get a state government job fairly easily, but have no desire to do that, and am currently anticipating a non-law career.

I know several kids in the top 10 or so percent who are in same boat.

Not really sure what more you can do when in a regional market. I applied to firms everywhere, and there are just no jobs at all. Firms that used to take 8-10 summer interns and offer all of them are now taking 1 or 2. People who left state for better law schools are coming back home because they can't get jobs there. The second biggest firm in the area is rumored to be going under. Its a perfect storm of suck.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:30 pm

What are the prospects for International Law, Human Rights Law?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:00 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stoicjustice

Postby stoicjustice » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Thank you to everyone who contributed. What do other fields currently look like. Would an MBA/JD prove to be a drastic step upward in job prospects? Or even a JD/MA? (assuming the obvious and taking on little to no debt)

The reason I ask is that the economy is horrible right now and I don't think there are hardly any industries booming right now.

Return to “Legal Employment”