Unemployed 2Ls: What's the plan now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unemployed 2Ls: What's the plan now?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:44 pm

It's kind of weird seeing all the 1Ls with firm interviews and offers while I'm still unemployed from a T6. My fellow unemployed 2Ls: are you guys still holding out hope for some kind of midlaw or are you all turning to govt/public interest now?

gglr24

Re: Unemployed 2Ls: What's the plan now?

Postby gglr24 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Got apps out to all the honors programs and some in-house places. I had the grades for biglaw, it just didn't pan out. I am hoping for a clerkship or 3L hiring at some midlaw firms. Probably high hopes though...

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm just a 0L, but I think there will be an ironic conclusion to this....

When (re: if) the economy does recover to the point where new JDs will be able to secure a decent salary, a parallel dynamic will accompany it in the sense that most others with grad degrees (MBA's especially) will be able to make more in business during that (theoretical at this point) time.

In short, if $$$,$$$ is your main motivation, I think new law grads are f'd far into the foreseeable future... listen, I'm not married to this arm-chair insight and I could be wrong, but I also wouldn't be surprised.

Me, personally: Money isn't my primary motivation and even the thought of sitting (bro-in-law is in MBA at Northwestern) through some of those ideologically based business theories seem disguisting to me. I'm really concerned with systemic-based improvements through law. (with regards to finance, market regulation, etc)

I too just hope there are a reasonable level of jobs for new lawyers in 2013. I think I'm going to start gunning for jobs during 1L which is why I applied to several part-time programs. I'm going to work for a firm (even intern) during LS in the hope that I'll have something lined before graduation.

gglr24

Postby gglr24 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:11 pm

Reasonabledoubt: law school hiring is a little different. Most firms, except the very small ones, do not hire for the school year... only summers.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:13 pm

gglr24 wrote:Reasonabledoubt: law school hiring is a little different. Most firms, except the very small ones, do not hire for the school year... only summers.

Even if you're doing law school only part time? I do have several attorney (some partners) contacts in cities where I've applied to law schools and they already indicated that I could come aboard in some capacity. It's not going to be full-on paralegal work, I already know. But, law firm experience is law firm experience. I'll do the grunt work if I have to.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:30 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Dear latest 0L that feels compelled to post in the legal employment forum,

You have no idea what you're talking about and contributed nothing to this thread. Strongly consider staying out of the legal employment forum, except to browse and learn, until you have a fucking clue.

Yours in Christ,

-The Sea Locust

0L's comments are somewhat funny because they are so out of touch with reality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:40 pm

I know someone who got terrible grades but a great offer from a major firm. It seems random.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:42 pm

gglr24 wrote:Got apps out to all the honors programs and some in-house places. I had the grades for biglaw, it just didn't pan out. I am hoping for a clerkship or 3L hiring at some midlaw firms. Probably high hopes though...

I'm the OP. My grades aren't great, but in any other year I'd have gotten biglaw. I sent out some government apps over winter break, but haven't gotten anything. I'll probably start applying to public interest non-profits soon. I was thinking us unemployed 2Ls might have a leg up on the 1Ls, but so far it doesn't appear to be the case, and I'm starting to get worried.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:44 pm

thesealocust wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:I'm just a 0L, but I think there will be an ironic conclusion to this....

When (re: if) the economy does recover to the point where new JDs will be able to secure a decent salary, a parallel dynamic will accompany it in the sense that most others with grad degrees (MBA's especially) will be able to make more in business during that (theoretical at this point) time.

In short, if $$$,$$$ is your main motivation, I think new law grads are f'd far into the foreseeable future... listen, I'm not married to this arm-chair insight and I could be wrong, but I also wouldn't be surprised.

Me, personally: Money isn't my primary motivation and even the thought of sitting (bro-in-law is in MBA at Northwestern) through some of those ideologically based business theories seem disguisting to me. I'm really concerned with systemic-based improvements through law. (with regards to finance, market regulation, etc)

I too just hope there are a reasonable level of jobs for new lawyers in 2013. I think I'm going to start gunning for jobs during 1L which is why I applied to several part-time programs. I'm going to work for a firm (even intern) during LS in the hope that I'll have something lined before graduation.

Dear latest 0L that feels compelled to post in the legal employment forum,

You have no idea what you're talking about and contributed nothing to this thread. Strongly consider staying out of the legal employment forum, except to browse and learn, until you have a fucking clue.

Yours in Christ,

-The Sea Locust

Dear Sea Locust,

You are a very bitter asshole. My comments were topical, perhaps even unsubstantiated, but they were offered only casually and without any pretense. I know many things that you don't. You may currently know a few things I don't as well. However, one of the things I do know is that you are an enormous asshole. Go fuck yourself in advance. :D

Cheers,

Reasonable D.

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:11 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:Dear Sea Locust,

You are a very bitter asshole. My comments were topical, perhaps even unsubstantiated, but they were offered only casually and without any pretense. I know many things that you don't. You may currently know a few things I don't as well. However, one of the things I do know is that you are an enormous asshole. Go fuck yourself in advance. :D

Cheers,

Reasonable D.

Although our Sea Locust friend framed his post as a 0L vs. xL issue, that's not really the problem with your post. The problem is that it's not even remotely topical. Yeah, the legal market sucks right now. Sure, it might be better in 2013. [b]Those brilliant tidbits of advice do not help the guy looking for a job right now.[b] That was the purpose of the OP's post and this forum. This forum is for people actively looking for jobs who want help/advice in that regard.

Carry on.

edgarderby

Postby edgarderby » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:45 pm

I don't think there is a plan? I think it's ironic that after reading TLS all these years, I'm reading about 1Ls at the median from T2 schools with jobs. In my home town, half the people I talked to put a T4 school on par with ND. Maybe I'll spend my summer building a time machine so I can just take a full ride at a slightly lower ranked school.

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know someone who got terrible grades but a great offer from a major firm. It seems random.

Don't psych yourself out, connections > all

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:38 pm

eth3n wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know someone who got terrible grades but a great offer from a major firm. It seems random.

Person I was talking about did not have connections. Random interview + likable + engineer = job.

My problem is that I am not likable lol :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
eth3n wrote:

Person I was talking about did not have connections. Random interview + likable + engineer = job.

My problem is that I am not likable lol :lol:

"Engineer" - that's the key.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:My problem is that I am not likable lol :lol:

Interested Observer

Postby Interested Observer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 am

I'm looking to apply to a lot of smaller firms right now. I'm hoping that they haven't hired already for the summer. But, I'm also not sure what I'm going to do. I'm going to apply to a few public defender places also to see what I can get.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:I'm just a 0L, but I think there will be an ironic conclusion to this....

umm, don't go to law school. first, you already sound pretentious enough. law school won't help. second, wtf? no one gets jobs doing what you just described. unless you meant "write stupid papers about systemic improvements through law that only other people who write stupid papers too will read", in which case you better go to yale

edgarderby

Postby edgarderby » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's kind of weird seeing all the 1Ls with firm interviews and offers while I'm still unemployed from a T6. My fellow unemployed 2Ls: are you guys still holding out hope for some kind of midlaw or are you all turning to govt/public interest now?

Let's get this back on topic.

And as far as next year, what's the game plan? I've heard that after your first job, grades don't matter. So, you're telling me I busted my ass to get this high in my class, only to essentially be equal (or even below) some people that are in the bottom 5%?

Please tell me this isn't true, or at least some way to leverage my fairly good grades in the short-term. Any one have any theories or suggestions?

gglr24

Postby gglr24 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Clerkships man. If not federal, try state supreme courts. They are not as prestigious, sure, but they will still be valuable tools for future employment and often can be parlayed into a federal district clerkship for the second year.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:49 am

edgarderby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's kind of weird seeing all the 1Ls with firm interviews and offers while I'm still unemployed from a T6. My fellow unemployed 2Ls: are you guys still holding out hope for some kind of midlaw or are you all turning to govt/public interest now?

Let's get this back on topic.

And as far as next year, what's the game plan? I've heard that after your first job, grades don't matter. So, you're telling me I busted my ass to get this high in my class, only to essentially be equal (or even below) some people that are in the bottom 5%?

Please tell me this isn't true, or at least some way to leverage my fairly good grades in the short-term. Any one have any theories or suggestions?

Only if you take a first job equivalent to bottom 5% of your class. At ND ITE I would imagine that would involve something along the lines of jizzmopping.

Keep in mind some midlaw firms hire 3Ls or grads in a good economy (cross your fingers on a huge recovery in the next 1.5 years because a W shape recovery = ruined career). Typically those firms are filled with t25 students and I would imagine networking would play a huge role since they only hire 2-3 fresh JDs per year in a good year (0-1 ITE). So start calling alumni now, you'll find them in Chicago midlaw for sure. In a lot of ways you are in a better position for midlaw then t14 students because your alumni are there much more then they are in biglaw. FWIW, midlaw in a major city isn't a bad deal at all. Those firms average around $100K /year starting, you get better hours, and more responsibility sooner (the negative, of course, is that down the road you won't make nearly what a biglaw partner would make nor get nearly as complex of work -- but odds are pretty far against you for making biglaw partner anyway).

As far as clerkships, I would say don't get your hopes up much. It's going to be really brutal this year with schools like GULC sending out class-wide emails telling students that have summer associateship positions that they are taking a huge risk if they don't apply for clerkships. My guess is that virtually all current 2Ls at a t30 or better will be applying for clerkships (since it is everyone's back-up plan).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:30 am

The irony here is that I'm a 1L (from HYS) who got an offer from a prestigious federal agency based in DC, a summer position normally reserved for 2Ls or 3Ls. I'm not sure if this is a scary new trend for 2Ls or what, but I was very surprised to get it. I applied just for the hell of it, figuring this would give them a heads up to consider me for the 2L summer. As a 1L, I certainly wasn't expecting any response, much less an interview then an offer a month after I applied.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:49 pm

The difference between 1L and 2L summering is this....2L summering is precursor to full time job generally.

So, a government agency, law firm, whoever...might want to hire a 1L over a 2L, just because they know they are not implying that anything permanent will be available post graduation. Additionally, if they have no plans on hiring next year, but might want to hire in 2 years, then a 2L would be nothing but a summer, whereas it is at least possible that the 1L could materialize into a full time hire in 2 years.

Return to “Legal Employment”