Ethical question about grades Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ethical question about grades

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Is it ethical to not list your gpa in your resume and still state that you got a CALI award for a certain class (i.e. if your gpa isn't amazing due to one bad class or a few B's, but you still CALI'd a class) ?

Of course they will see your grades when it comes to your transcript. I am only wondering about whether or not the omission of the GPA is unethical if you mention you got a "top-score" type award. I assume it is not.

FOLLOW UP - Is this foolish in the respect they will think you are trying to mislead them when they look at your transcript? I feel this is merely focusing on the positive, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

nylaw23

New

Re: Ethical question about grades

Post by nylaw23 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:29 pm

As always, it depends. I would only put it if its in a class that relates to the type of job I want to do. For example, if you got it in civil procedure and and want to do civil litigation, or criminal law and want to do criminal defense

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:30 pm

I think a firm or any employer understands that you are trying to market yourself as best as possible through your resume. So, no I do not think it would be unethical, unless they specifically ask for it.

Also I was of the understanding that GPA is meaningless and they really just care about rank.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:38 pm

I don't think it's unethical, but your strategy will be apparent to most people reading your resume.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:10 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:11 pm

There's nothing unethical about it. If you are leaving GPA/rank off, most employers will assume that means "somewhere in the bottom half."
I'm pretty sure we aren't even allowed to list GPA on resumes we use for on grounds interviews at UVA (but I may be remembering that wrong).
That would be to frustrate pre-screening.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:13 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'm pretty sure we aren't even allowed to list GPA on resumes we use for on grounds interviews at UVA (but I may be remembering that wrong).
We're not supposed to, but if the interviewer cares they can request we submit a transcript which will show them your GPA and all grades anyway. I had to submit a transcript through Symplicity for a few interviews.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:13 pm

@ Penn your not allowed and specifically instructed not to have your "estimated" GPA listed on your resume

Jeff Mangum

New

Post by Jeff Mangum » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:19 pm

If the information about the award is not available elsewhere (such as a transcript notation), I would think it's appropriate to put it on the resume. A top grade, especially in a foundational course, is an achievement. If I were an employer, I would assume that any academic award earned in law school would have been included somewhere in what I'd been given. If it's already in your transcript (or mentioned in a letter of reference, etc.) it might come off as pompous. Just my $.02.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 pm

as top grade got me just an A for this class (A+ is just 4.0 and its discretionary), it will not be notated on my transcript, if i didnt mention it I am a 1L.

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:03 pm

thesealocust wrote:GPA on a resume is often tacky. Even people with nothing to hide would be advised to not have GPA on the resume under many (possibly most) circumstances.
I have never in my life heard this. In fact, I've always been advised to put your GPA on your resume if it's decent. My law school advises us to, as well.

YMMV, I guess.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:50 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Having been out of undergraduate and graduate school for five-plus years before returning to law school, I have simply taken off my GPA and referenced latin honors instead.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:38 pm

Slight update:

I now have A (CALI) A A- and C+ = 3.33 = ~top30-25 of 1L

Not horrible, but not good, and I don't expect to be top 25 although apparently last year 3.2X was minimum for top 25.

I REALLY appreciate the legit responses, any idea what to put on resume now? (i.e. simply the CALI vs. CALI and unofficial GPA [don't think rankings will come out for awhile]). I am at UC-TTT law school, so this isn't for Spring OCI (passed anyway), this are just symplicity and mailers for 1L summer.

ALSO, should you ever put any ranking lower than top 25 on cover letter/resume? Or does this look foolish (basically top third or top half) ?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”