0L legal secretary jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
liplaw

0L legal secretary jobs

Postby liplaw » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Anyone know how an 0L can find a legal secretary job? Are there job postings boards or any other way of finding out about such jobs? thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: 0L legal secretary jobs

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:20 pm

craigslist, moster.com or just looking/ caling firms directly

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Why would you be a legal secretary when you could be a paralegal?

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 pm

You most likely will not be able to be a legal secretary at any big or respectable firm...though it may sound off, you're much more likely to get a paralegal gig.

Look up the firms you're interested in, most have a section for support staff under their careers section on the website, hidden amongst all the associate stuff. Resume bomb.

liplaw

Postby liplaw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:03 pm

how do you become a paralegal while you still are an 0L?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:31 pm

Very few states have paralegal certification requirements.
Last edited by Holly Golightly on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:35 pm

look through big law firms websites under career and you'll see which ones are hiring administrative people

makingasnack

Postby makingasnack » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:51 pm

Speaking from my personal experience (so feel free to disagree), the best thing to do is just look up any/all law firms in your area and send a resume and cover letter explaining that you are an OL looking for experience. Legal Secretary may not be exactly what you want, although it would still give you something to do in the meantime. I'm a "Legal Assitant." It's kind of bogus, b/c I do the same work as paralegals, but whatever. Unfortunately, I'm in Florida which is one of the states that requires licensing (I believe you have to have an Associates or something in Paralegal Studies or something similar to that OR have like 5 years experience). Since I wasn't going to do either of those things, I just applied to law firms and the state attorney's office and places like that. I just explained that I was interested in a career in the legal field and that I wanted some work experience. If you plan to start in the fall, you can probably even tell them that. I would assume it would be a temporary type position, but you will probably find someone who will hire you. Some people won't consider you because you would be temporary, but I guarantee there are probably a ton of firms in your area. Just look them up and e-mail your info or call them. All that being said, this wouldn't be a way to make a lot of money (you may get good pay, but I seriously doubt it).

Return to “Legal Employment”