Paralegal work without paralegal experience

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
laidoffjournalist

Paralegal work without paralegal experience

Postby laidoffjournalist » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:02 am

Perhaps this is the wrong forum. I'd really like to work at a law firm... and not as a coffee bitch. I think I'd make a great paralegal as I pickup rules and protocols quickly, am very detail-oriented, can multitask and work quickly on deadline. But most places seem to want someone with a paralegal degree or past law firm experience. I'm a 0L and I don't have that. What's the best way to make this happen? Network with people I may know working at law firms? Headhunters? Mass mailing my resume? Or should I abandon the notion of being a paralegal, suck it up and intern?

James Bond

Re: Paralegal work without paralegal experience

Postby James Bond » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:15 am

...are you good at oral sex?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:18 am

Ivy degree, know people, or be a cute girl is the only way I've ever seen it work.

sportzer001

Postby sportzer001 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:28 am

i know someone who did a legal assistant/internship and after a few months was offered a paying paralegal position..so you could try an internship/volunteer experience and show them that you would make a good paralegal

laidoffjournalist

Postby laidoffjournalist » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:50 am

The sexually degrading responses are always a treat... :roll:

I do have family contact with some people at law firms. Maybe I can be that annoying person and ask them to try and help me out. I know places do hire new people so they can train them, but maybe in this economy and my local market, that's not the case so much. When I look on Craigslist or Indeed, they want 3+ to 5+ years experience. Yeesh.

taw856

Postby taw856 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:04 am

Try a temp agency for a foot in the door. They'll probably test you on basic stuff like typing speed/legal vocabulary, and as a recovering journalist you ought to be able to impress enough to get them to help place you somewhere.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:23 am

laidoffjournalist wrote:The sexually degrading responses are always a treat... :roll:

I was being serious...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 am

I got one of these jobs at a criminal defense practice, no prior experience, summer after my sophomore year of high school. The guy was one of my dad's friends.

Edit: the guy aka the attorney I worked for.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:30 am

rad law wrote:I got one of these jobs at a criminal defense practice, no prior experience, summer after my sophomore year of high school. The guy was one of my dad's friends.

That's hitting it a little close to home, I'd say. Do you have no shame?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:39 am

biv0ns wrote:
rad law wrote:I got one of these jobs at a criminal defense practice, no prior experience, summer after my sophomore year of high school. The guy was one of my dad's friends.

That's hitting it a little close to home, I'd say. Do you have no shame?

Har har no sexual favors involved.

kumba84

Postby kumba84 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:04 am

One of my friends got a paralegal type job (without the title) through a connection. She started off at $10/hour, but it's in a low COL town. I think your best bet is to talk to everyone you know and see if any of their friends/family at law firms are looking to hire.

Return to “Legal Employment”