Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
hellojd
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby hellojd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:18 am

voice of reason wrote:
jitsrenzo wrote:Would it be inappropriate/toolish to write SAT/LSAT on your resume if you scored very well?


A little, yes.


This is wrong.

How many of you posting about resumes have actually had a job?? I work for a fairly prestigious consulting firm and interned at an IB (think goldman, morgan, etc.)... you are perfectly ok with putting your SAT on your resume if you are an undergrad (after graduating, you're probably pushing it). Obviously, make sure it's a score worth putting down (don't know how to evaluate the new scale, but for my class I would say a score worth putting down is high 1400s +). I had scored a 1550, and that definitely helped my resume. You can fluff up other stuff on your resume, you can't fluff up SAT (well, you can, but that could get you in deep deep trouble).

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:40 am

hellojd wrote:How many of you posting about resumes have actually had a job?? I work for a fairly prestigious consulting firm and interned at an IB (think goldman, morgan, etc.)... you are perfectly ok with putting your SAT on your resume if you are an undergrad (after graduating, you're probably pushing it). Obviously, make sure it's a score worth putting down (don't know how to evaluate the new scale, but for my class I would say a score worth putting down is high 1400s +). I had scored a 1550, and that definitely helped my resume.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby RVP11 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:11 am

hellojd wrote:
voice of reason wrote:
jitsrenzo wrote:Would it be inappropriate/toolish to write SAT/LSAT on your resume if you scored very well?


A little, yes.


This is wrong.

How many of you posting about resumes have actually had a job?? I work for a fairly prestigious consulting firm and interned at an IB (think goldman, morgan, etc.)... you are perfectly ok with putting your SAT on your resume if you are an undergrad (after graduating, you're probably pushing it). Obviously, make sure it's a score worth putting down (don't know how to evaluate the new scale, but for my class I would say a score worth putting down is high 1400s +). I had scored a 1550, and that definitely helped my resume. You can fluff up other stuff on your resume, you can't fluff up SAT (well, you can, but that could get you in deep deep trouble).


Law firms aren't like other employers. If they want to know how "smart" you are, they can look at your law school or your law school grades. The LSAT has no importance once your law school and grades are known.

User avatar
AdmiralNelson
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby AdmiralNelson » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:25 am

I find the notion of 'serious' firms judging fully mature, 26 - 30 year-old candidates by how hard they studied for the SAT when they were 16 to be absolutely preposterous.

User avatar
hellojd
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby hellojd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:31 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
hellojd wrote:How many of you posting about resumes have actually had a job?? I work for a fairly prestigious consulting firm and interned at an IB (think goldman, morgan, etc.)... you are perfectly ok with putting your SAT on your resume if you are an undergrad (after graduating, you're probably pushing it). Obviously, make sure it's a score worth putting down (don't know how to evaluate the new scale, but for my class I would say a score worth putting down is high 1400s +). I had scored a 1550, and that definitely helped my resume.


--ImageRemoved--


This clearly proves my POINT wrong :roll:

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby legends159 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:38 pm

I can see the SAT being a little bit important when you're still in UG since top UG admissions =/= high SAT score nor does high SAT scores = top UG admissions.

But with LS admissions it's all about UG GPA and LSAT so I'm not sure why anyone will care what your LSAT score is. Maybe if you scored a 170+ but are going to a lower tier 1 school it could serve as a signal...but a better signal would be high LS grades and/or transferring.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:39 pm

LjakW wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:Maybe you can write down your percentile range if you scored very, very well. [strike]I think this helps especially if you're a URM, since some people tend to think URMs gain admission only because of the large boost they receive[/strike].


Sweet Jesus, not again...

ftfy

Are you saying that people do not think this or that it's not true?


lol +1 im 100% sure some people tend to think URMs gain admission only because of the large boost they receive haha

not saying everyone or even most or that it is even true

User avatar
phoenix323
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby phoenix323 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:40 pm

LjakW wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:Maybe you can write down your percentile range if you scored very, very well. [strike]I think this helps especially if you're a URM, since some people tend to think URMs gain admission only because of the large boost they receive[/strike].


Sweet Jesus, not again...

ftfy

Are you saying that people do not think this or that it's not true?


I'm saying not EVERY thread needs to turn into a URM/AA debate. Let it go.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:48 pm

phoenix323 wrote:
LjakW wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:Maybe you can write down your percentile range if you scored very, very well. [strike]I think this helps especially if you're a URM, since some people tend to think URMs gain admission only because of the large boost they receive[/strike].


Sweet Jesus, not again...

ftfy

Are you saying that people do not think this or that it's not true?


I'm saying not EVERY thread needs to turn into a URM/AA debate. Let it go.


lol we thank you for being the bigger person here

User avatar
phoenix323
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby phoenix323 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Sweet Jesus, not again...

ftfy


Are you saying that people do not think this or that it's not true?


I'm saying not EVERY thread needs to turn into a URM/AA debate. Let it go.


lol we thank you for being the bigger person here


No problem! :mrgreen:

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby TTT-LS » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:12 pm

,
Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
voice of reason
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 am

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby voice of reason » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:17 pm

hellojd wrote:
voice of reason wrote:
jitsrenzo wrote:Would it be inappropriate/toolish to write SAT/LSAT on your resume if you scored very well?


A little, yes.


This is wrong.

How many of you posting about resumes have actually had a job??


I've had a job for years, reviewed hundreds of resumes, interviewed many applicants, and hired about a dozen people. I've had a good employee who had her LSAT (170-something) on her resume. When somebody puts their test scores on their resume (which is very rare), I find it a little toolish. It's not a big faux paus, but it has a downside.

There is a fine line between touting your qualifications and being unseemly. If you're telling the employer about your accomplishments and experience, perfect. If you're telling the employer how super smart you are, that's likely to make you seem like a douche. Reporting your LSAT is too much like touting your IQ.

hellojd wrote:I work for a fairly prestigious consulting firm and interned at an IB (think goldman, morgan, etc.)... you are perfectly ok with putting your SAT on your resume if you are an undergrad (after graduating, you're probably pushing it). Obviously, make sure it's a score worth putting down (don't know how to evaluate the new scale, but for my class I would say a score worth putting down is high 1400s +). I had scored a 1550, and that definitely helped my resume. You can fluff up other stuff on your resume, you can't fluff up SAT (well, you can, but that could get you in deep deep trouble).


IBs and "fairly prestigious consulting firms" tend to be at least little toolish, wouldn't you say?

User avatar
voice of reason
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 am

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby voice of reason » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:25 pm

TTT-LS wrote:To everyone posting in this thread who hasn't gone through oci: please kindly stop. Now. You're adding opinions and thinly founded claims to a discussion already filled with bad info. Undergrad recruiting, IB recruiting, or any other kind is basically irrelevant to the topic at hand. It helps no one and hurts the credibility of the forum to have people who don't know pretending they do.


Your general point is fine, but please note the original question, which is not as narrow as you imply:

"In seeking employment, do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score?"

I can't speak regarding on-campus recruiters, but as a general matter, employers do not want anybody's LSAT score. Since many law students conduct a very broad job search, especially ITE, the general case is germane.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Do law firms and businesses want your LSAT score??

Postby underdawg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:41 am

well none of those dudes were qualified to talk about that either...




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.