Undergraduate Summer Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Veovis

Undergraduate Summer Internship

Postby Veovis » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 pm

Hey (to all that care that post),

Just curious as to how anyone got a summer legal internship while still an undergrad. I'm a sophomore from a very small college in rural Pennsylvania, and as such, am having a very difficult time finding an internship that requires law school attendance. I can't go to my school's career center because they don't offer anything legal. At all. I'm beginning to get really frustrated at this point because I've been looking for about three months now.

So, any suggestions?

Vincent Vega

Re: Undergraduate Summer Internship

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:38 pm

Connections, g. Got any?

Core

Postby Core » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:38 pm

Veovis wrote:Hey (to all that care that post),

Just curious as to how anyone got a summer legal internship while still an undergrad. I'm a sophomore from a very small college in rural Pennsylvania, and as such, am having a very difficult time finding an internship that requires law school attendance. I can't go to my school's career center because they don't offer anything legal. At all. I'm beginning to get really frustrated at this point because I've been looking for about three months now.

So, any suggestions?

There's a pretty expensive Cornell summer program that places you with a law firm.
If you're a URM, look into SEO.
You can also try securing a legal internship through HNIP, your local DAs' office, or legal aid.
Good luck.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:55 pm

Core wrote:There's a pretty expensive Cornell summer program that places you with a law firm.

Link?

I'm not doing it, but it would be relevant to this thread.

Veovis

Postby Veovis » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:31 am

Connections, g. Got any?

No...my whole family is full of teachers and none of them have any legal connections.

I'm definitely not URM.

There's a pretty expensive Cornell summer program that places you with a law firm.
You can also try securing a legal internship through HNIP, your local DAs' office, or legal aid.

Do you think the Cornell program would take someone from such a small college? I have a 3.8, but I didn't think that mattered yet because it's from a non-prestigious school. I'm not familiar with HNIP, and the closest DA's office I'm familiar with is in a crime-riddled area.

Thanks for the quick replies, I really appreciate it.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:56 am

Veovis wrote:
Connections, g. Got any?

No...my whole family is full of teachers and none of them have any legal connections.

I'm definitely not URM.

Do you think the Cornell program would take someone from such a small college? I have a 3.8, but I didn't think that mattered yet because it's from a non-prestigious school. I'm not familiar with HNIP, and the closest DA's office I'm familiar with is in a crime-riddled area.

Thanks for the quick replies, I really appreciate it.

DA offices in crime-riddled areas make for good experiences!!

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:39 am

vamedic03 wrote:DA offices in crime-riddled areas make for good experiences!!

Yeah, man. If you want to do some real work at a DA's office, people have to commit crimes.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:58 am

Halibut6 wrote:
Core wrote:There's a pretty expensive Cornell summer program that places you with a law firm.

Link?

I'm not doing it, but it would be relevant to this thread.

http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/programs. ... s=Overview

I think this is what is meant.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:02 am

$4790 just for tuition and fees. Doesn't include housing in NYC for six weeks or other living expenses. You'd be lucky to get out of there under $10K, by the sound of it.

Veovis

Postby Veovis » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:04 pm

DA offices in crime-riddled areas make for good experiences!!

Good point. I'll look into that.

Return to “Legal Employment”