Advice about internships before Law School in the Fall.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
arh8426

Advice about internships before Law School in the Fall.

Postby arh8426 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:02 am

I have applied to law school in the fall and graduated from undergrad in december. I am currently looking for a job until law school in the fall, and have decided to pursue an internship with a law firm. I am thinking about sending a cover letter with my resume to firms throughout the area.

I have a few questions.

Is there a feasible chance I can get this position given the job market?

What size law firms should I be targeting? (My area has all sizes represented)

What kind of position should I be applying for (runner/legal aide/office assistant)?

Thanks.

Doritos

Re: Advice about internships before Law School in the Fall.

Postby Doritos » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:35 am

And are any of these gigs paying? Not like SA money but like minimum wage. Daddy gotta eat

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:07 pm

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:The reality is that any useful legal experience is likely going to be foreclosed to you until you've got a year (or at least a semester) of law school under your belt. You might be able to get some kind of position like that (I've heard of firms taking on interns) but I doubt that it will be substantive, useful as a resume line item, or well compensated (if it's compensated at all).

Your mileage may vary, and if you do find the miracle position then maybe it'll be worth it for you. I understand the temptation to try and find something law related to plug the gap, and I went through the same process. After a lot of research I decided it wouldn't be worth it, and instead to focus on relaxing and sleeping a lot.

does a resume "gap" between say now and starting 1L raise any red flags?

i am in a somewhat similar situation...although I feel pursuing a "real" job might raise even more red flags even though it would maximize $$ (um, why did you get a job at XX corporation if you knew you were going to law school?)

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:42 pm

englawyer wrote:
thesealocust wrote:The reality is that any useful legal experience is likely going to be foreclosed to you until you've got a year (or at least a semester) of law school under your belt. You might be able to get some kind of position like that (I've heard of firms taking on interns) but I doubt that it will be substantive, useful as a resume line item, or well compensated (if it's compensated at all).

Your mileage may vary, and if you do find the miracle position then maybe it'll be worth it for you. I understand the temptation to try and find something law related to plug the gap, and I went through the same process. After a lot of research I decided it wouldn't be worth it, and instead to focus on relaxing and sleeping a lot.

does a resume "gap" between say now and starting 1L raise any red flags?

i am in a somewhat similar situation...although I feel pursuing a "real" job might raise even more red flags even though it would maximize $$ (um, why did you get a job at XX corporation if you knew you were going to law school?)

dude/dudette I am in the same boat. Took a year off between ugrad and law skoolz and working at a call center. I had calls for better jobs but once you say "oh hey I'm leaving in less than a year" any interest goes goodbye. I did not want to take one of those jobs and then tell them I'm going to LS because I figured the extra mula would not be worth an angry former employer and a question mark on my resume.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:48 pm

+1 I am in the similiar situation too.
I just got an internship offer from the legal/compliance department in one of the largest alternative asset management firms. The job sounds not bad. The only downside is that they are paying minimum wage....

Another option for me is to tutor in the public school for $15/hr.

I have hard time to decide which one I should choose now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:53 pm

I worked as a legal assistant for the summer after my sophomore year of college at a single practitioner law firm. I did everything short of going to court. I talked to all the clients. I wrote and/or put together all the motions. I supervised the receptionist. I visited people in jail. I drafted an originally researched motion to suppress. I even ran the office for 2 weeks while my boss was out of the country. Got paid $10 per hr plus overtime. This was all with no prior legal experience. This was basically my miracle job, but I only got it because my boss was somewhat irresponsible and he was friends with my father.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:59 pm

I'm attending law school in the fall and currently have a position at a law firm. It is paid, $9hr. I generally make copies, make copies, scans, coffee, copies, answer calls, copies, mail, copies, and more mail.

It is VERY hard work, and there is VERY little substanative legal experience. I will say though, it is quite valuable to get a perspective from inside a working law firm, see what the lawyers do on a daily basis, etc. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I think you should definitey go for something similiar.

It all depends on your situation obviously, but I'm going to bet that th best way to get a job like this is through people who have built up connections with the law firms in the past. The political science department (andrelated depts) of your university, for example, will probably have plenty of conections the use to filter kids into internships. You may find your most valuable resource is aksing them where to start and who to start with. Many of them may have built personal relationships with hiring managers in the firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”