1L summer associate position affecting 2L summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer associate position affecting 2L summer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:23 pm

I am considering accepting a position at a firm for this summer that requires me working there next summer for 4 weeks. The firm is in Texas.

Problem is, I want to work at a New York firm next summer. Do you think this will significantly limit my options for next year? Do NY firms generally allow splits or not?

It's really tough to forego the great opportunity/money this summer so that I have slightly more options next year.

Another question: if a firm doesn't require that you come back next summer, but gives you an offer to do so, does it burn bridges to turn them down?

Re: 1L summer associate position affecting 2L summer

Postby nealric » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Take it.

Not all NYC firms will allow you to split, but a good number will. Some programs are 10 weeks anyways, and would allow a 10/4 split without really getting in the way of things. Your 1L firm will be disappointed if you don't show up, but it's not like they will go out of their way to destroy your career.

Besides, Texas is a much better place to practice than NYC. :mrgreen:

Postby TTT-LS » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Renzo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Take it. Most firms will let you split, and if you really like your 2L job you can always bail and burn the bridge at the old place.

Return to “Legal Employment”