Wilmington, NC Jobs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NCcop2lawyer

Wilmington, NC Jobs?

Postby NCcop2lawyer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:02 am

Is anyone from the Wilmington, NC area? I am researching the possibility of leaving an eight year career in law enforcement for a law degree. I want to return to the Wilmington area. What are the best firms to work for? Are they hiring? What is a median associate starting salary? Thanks for any help!

najumobi

Re: Wilmington, NC Jobs?

Postby najumobi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:43 am

NCcop2lawyer wrote:Is anyone from the Wilmington, NC area? I am researching the possibility of leaving an eight year career in law enforcement for a law degree. I want to return to the Wilmington area. What are the best firms to work for? Are they hiring? What is a median associate starting salary? Thanks for any help!

the top firm with an office in wilmington, nc is McGuireWoods. the starting pay for their associates, along with the associates of other top law firms, is 120k-130k/yr. but it would be incredibly hard to get a job like this in wilmington, since the wilmington offices of such law firms are so small (7 people).

nealric

Re: Wilmington, NC Jobs?

Postby nealric » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:44 am

Wilmington is such a small legal market that you won't find any good numbers. Your best bet is to try to contact some local attorneys and ask around.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't expect to make much more than you are doing law enforcement (at least to start).

PS: Don't fixate on that 120k number. McGuire Woods probably hires a new associate for that office every 3rd year or so at best (if they hire people fresh out of law school at all- which they likely do not).

Return to “Legal Employment”