Music/Law Job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
b0dylanguage

Music/Law Job?

Postby b0dylanguage » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Hey guys,

First time poster here. Anyway, just curious to see if anyone, in the history of the world, has ever combined a passion for music with an interest in the law (or an interest in music with a passion for the law)?! I know there are entertainment lawyers out there, but it seems like a lot of what they do is boilerplate. Not really interested in sending cease-and-desist letters from 9-5, either.

Anyway, it's a shot in the dark but I thought I'd try.

vassarman

Re: Music/Law Job?

Postby vassarman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:25 pm

b0dylanguage wrote:Hey guys,

First time poster here. Anyway, just curious to see if anyone, in the history of the world, has ever combined a passion for music with an interest in the law (or an interest in music with a passion for the law)?! I know there are entertainment lawyers out there, but it seems like a lot of what they do is boilerplate. Not really interested in sending cease-and-desist letters from 9-5, either.

Well, I'm interested in both Music and Law, but combining them is tricky--The one thing I can think of, besides of course becoming an agent or something, is to try to become the lawyer for a symphony. They are non-profits after all, and one would assume need lawyers...

Sorry to be captain obvious, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

Let me know if you come up with something else too...

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:31 pm

One of my majors is music. I was actually planning to do music on the side, though, not necessarily combining it with law. I plan on playing for a church or some kind of ensemble to supplement income.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:33 pm

Since my first semester has taught me how much leeway they have in digressing from the subject matter, I want to become a professor and spend the first 10 minutes of each class performing for my captive audience. Oh, and I'll fail anyone who comes into class late more than once a semester.

:lol:

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:34 pm

Biggie Smalls sang about how to best defend oneself in court. That kind of counts.

edgarderby

Postby edgarderby » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:16 am

Play music, don't go to law school. If you are a 1L, drop out. If you are a 2L, god help us all, because you are where I am.

jamaicanjynx

Postby jamaicanjynx » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:13 am

vanwinkle wrote:Since my first semester has taught me how much leeway they have in digressing from the subject matter, I want to become a professor and spend the first 10 minutes of each class performing for my captive audience. Oh, and I'll fail anyone who comes into class late more than once a semester.

:lol:

There's a prof at my school that plays a song that somehow ties into a Con Law topic before each class. Last I heard, he was playing rap. I wish I could remember which song it was...

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:47 pm

Let me know if you find a way.

I'm still looking to combine my passion for one-handed fire torch juggling with the law. One-handed fire torch jugglers need lawyers too!

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:05 am

edgarderby wrote:Play music, don't go to law school. If you are a 1L, drop out. If you are a 2L, god help us all, because you are where I am.

...hmmmm

But to answer this thread, there is pretty much no way to apply law in the way that you desire.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:28 pm

Bump.
sorry just wanted to try out an anonymous post and am also very interested in this subjct.

But for entertainment purposes what type of salaries can these guys be expected to pull in lets say graduating from a Cornell or a fordham or a cardozo?

I too am interested in music and law I'm not saying I need to be representing Jay- Z but it would be very cool to be invovled in teh music scene. I jsut wonder hwo hard that would be with a degree from lets say fordham.

I've googled firms for music law and cant really find anything, maybe i suck at googling.

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:40 pm

I had a prof in undergrad who was a music attorney and represented Los Lonely Boys and Chamillionaire. He did stuff like band agreements, copyright/royalty distribution/etc, Music IP stuff, ringtone royalties, things of that sort.

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/videos ... c+attorney

seems really fun, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of $$$ in it if that's what your lookin for.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:23 pm

But for entertainment purposes what type of salaries can these guys be expected to pull in lets say graduating from a Cornell or a fordham or a cardozo?

Any of them would be exceedingly lucky to actually get a job doing that kind of stuff.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:27 pm

b0dylanguage wrote:Hey guys,

Well, you can do entertainment law. It's filled with contracts and negotiations that require lawyers. The downside is that you have to deal with the nutcases in the entertainment industry, but you'd mostly be dealing with other lawyers.

Return to “Legal Employment”