Summer internship at a NYC venture capital firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
engineer

Summer internship at a NYC venture capital firm

Postby engineer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm trying to figure out what to do during my 1L summer, and the idea of an internship came to mind. I'm most interested in corporate law, especially start-ups, so I'm thinking that interning at a venture capital firm would be the best use of my time. However, I have NO idea how to even begin looking for such an internship, since I think that this sort of thing is a little unorthodox for law students. I'd like to intern in NYC, since that's close to where my family lives. I go to a school ranked between 40 and 60 in the south.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

EijiMiyake

Re: Summer internship at a NYC venture capital firm

Postby EijiMiyake » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:38 pm

engineer wrote:I'm trying to figure out what to do during my 1L summer, and the idea of an internship came to mind. I'm most interested in corporate law, especially start-ups, so I'm thinking that interning at a venture capital firm would be the best use of my time. However, I have NO idea how to even begin looking for such an internship, since I think that this sort of thing is a little unorthodox for law students. I'd like to intern in NYC, since that's close to where my family lives. I go to a school ranked between 40 and 60 in the south.

I'm not a law student yet so I can't comment on it's worth or feasibility, but I can tell you that such internships are extremely rare and competitive, even for undergrads at HYPS or b-school students at HWS.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Unless you know somebody or went to an Ivy then its almost impossible of getting a summer internship at a NYC VC firm.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:01 pm

edited
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engineer

Postby engineer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:05 am

thesealocust wrote:Even if it does materialize, make sure it's legal in nature or you'll have problems when later interviews ask how you spent your 1L summer. Word on the street is that without pristine grades at a good school, no legal work during your first year summer can be a huge kiss of death / black mark.

I'm sorry, I don't buy that for a second. I have nothing to back up my stance, but it seems absolutely RIDICULOUS that not doing legal work during your 1L summer means anything other than not being able to find a suitable job or having something better to do. I'm not going to do something I don't like because it's what I'm 'supposed' to do, as decreed by the legal overlords.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:10 am

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:16 am

engineer wrote:I'm trying to figure out what to do during my 1L summer, and the idea of an internship came to mind. I'm most interested in corporate law, especially start-ups, so I'm thinking that interning at a venture capital firm would be the best use of my time. However, I have NO idea how to even begin looking for such an internship, since I think that this sort of thing is a little unorthodox for law students. I'd like to intern in NYC, since that's close to where my family lives. I go to a school ranked between 40 and 60 in the south.

Forget about it. You won't even get an interview.
I just went through it. Most Business/Finance students settle with back office jobs or nothing
VC/IB/PE are probably as competitive as Vault 100 law firms .
Unless you go to T-14 or T20 lawschool, it`s just not gonna happen

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:04 am

engineer wrote:I'm not going to do something I don't like because it's what I'm 'supposed' to do, as decreed by [strike]the legal overlords[/strike]employers.

Yea this will take you far.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:17 pm

engineer wrote:I'm not going to do something I don't like because it's what I'm 'supposed' to do, as decreed by the legal overlords.

That's perfectly fair. They don't have to interview you (any school with resume pre-screens) or call you back either.

And to the OP - Unless you have a family member or other benefactor who is a heavy hitter in finance, not gunna happen.

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:18 am

EijiMiyake wrote:

I'm not a law student yet so I can't comment on it's worth or feasibility, but I can tell you that such internships are extremely rare and competitive, even for undergrads at HYPS or b-school students at HWS.

Plus, they have no reason to take on an intern that still has two years of law school left and will probably head to a law firm upon graduation.

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:26 am

engineer wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Even if it does materialize, make sure it's legal in nature or you'll have problems when later interviews ask how you spent your 1L summer. Word on the street is that without pristine grades at a good school, no legal work during your first year summer can be a huge kiss of death / black mark.

I'm sorry, I don't buy that for a second. I have nothing to back up my stance, but it seems absolutely RIDICULOUS that not doing legal work during your 1L summer means anything other than not being able to find a suitable job or having something better to do. I'm not going to do something I don't like because it's what I'm 'supposed' to do, as decreed by the legal overlords.

I've been interviewed by attorneys (JD/MBAs albeit) who did non-legal work their first summer. So I guess it didn't prevent them from being hired.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

Dick Whitman wrote:
engineer wrote:

I've been interviewed by attorneys (JD/MBAs albeit) who did non-legal work their first summer. So I guess it didn't prevent them from being hired.

Let's be honest, no big law firm (especially in their corporate practice group) is going to have an issue with someone doing PE or IBanking 1L summer. But, lets be honest, the likelihood of getting an internship at a PE/I-Bank 1L summer is pretty low. These firms are using the summers for recruiting from top b-schools for the following year. As a 1L, you're still 2 years from graduation. That said, there are plenty of JD's in high level positions in i-banking/PE/VE firms.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:13 am

Wake Forest? :lol:

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:54 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Dick Whitman wrote:
engineer wrote:

Let's be honest, no big law firm (especially in their corporate practice group) is going to have an issue with someone doing PE or IBanking 1L summer. But, lets be honest, the likelihood of getting an internship at a PE/I-Bank 1L summer is pretty low. These firms are using the summers for recruiting from top b-schools for the following year. As a 1L, you're still 2 years from graduation. That said, there are plenty of JD's in high level positions in i-banking/PE/VE firms.

All true.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:57 pm

you dont just decide you wanna do VC or PE and just go get a job...this is a nearly untouchable market lol

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:18 pm

I laughed my ass off when I saw this thread.

Then I figured out it wasn't a troll thread, but that the OP was serious.

Poor, poor, OP.

engineer

Postby engineer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:33 am

Yeah, you guys are totally right--sorry about the naivete earlier.

After doing some more research, I've found that it's absolutely impossible to get a legal internship at those types of firms for the 1L summer, unless you're related to a partner or you're attending a T14 law school.

I'll probably spend the summer doing non-legal things that will hopefully put me in a better position to enter that market when I eventually graduate. Establishing contacts and whatnot may be the only way in.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:40 am

engineer wrote:Yeah, you guys are totally right--sorry about the naivete earlier.

After doing some more research, I've found that it's absolutely impossible to get a legal internship at those types of firms for the 1L summer, unless you're related to a partner or you're attending a T14 law school.

I'll probably spend the summer doing non-legal things that will hopefully put me in a better position to enter that market when I eventually graduate. Establishing contacts and whatnot may be the only way in.

You mean the non-legal market? Or the VC market that weve already established you have no shot getting with your JD from a southern school ranked btwn 40-60

engineer

Postby engineer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:54 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:You mean the non-legal market? Or the VC market that weve already established you have no shot getting with your JD from a southern school ranked btwn 40-60

I think it's clear that I meant the NYC VC market. Why do you think I don't have a shot?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:58 am

engineer wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:You mean the non-legal market? Or the VC market that weve already established you have no shot getting with your JD from a southern school ranked btwn 40-60

I think it's clear that I meant the NYC VC market. Why do you think I don't have a shot?

Im a 0l and have no clue what venture capital is....my friend went to wharton and was complaing about how difficult it is to land a job in that field so i figure you'll have a rough go too...good luck and nothing is impossible.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:18 am

engineer wrote:

There's no such thing as venture capital right now. There isn't even plain old regular capital.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:06 pm

engineer wrote:

Here's why I don't think you have a shot. There are ridiculously, ridiculously VC jobs, and even fewer of them are in New York (if I had to guess, there are literally less than 40 associate-level positions per year). Those firms that do hire mostly restrict themselves to CS/EE majors with big 3 (Bain, BCG, McKinsey) consulting experience or bulge-bracket i-banking experience. Even from these places it's relatively hard to get. The only other real option is to be an operation exec at a startup with a good deal of experience (think 5+ years).

To give you an idea, a guy I know was magna at HYP undergrad, MBA at columbia near the top of his class, had two years of consulting experience focused on tech and media, and did various VC/startup internships during school, and still was not able to get a job in NY VC. I could tell you lots of similar anecdotes with kids from HBS or SBS.

Combine that with the fact that VC funding has dried up (funds raised dropped something like 50% year over year), and it's even harder.

It was hard to land a VC job at the height of the boom straight out of school, and now it's damn near impossible. Not to mention your JD is worth jack squat if you don't know how to model and don't have experience analyzing business plans.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 pm

I know this thread is long dead, but I just wanted to put in my experience because it largely contradicts a lot of the opinions in this thread.

Political Science major from a state school with 1 year of very bland work experience before law school. I did have good grades at a T14, but simply responded to a symplicity posting about a venture capital firm and was hired during my interview.

No relations in the field, no friends in the field, no classes or knowledge of finance or venture.

Why would people not just apply to every place at which they have an interest in working? Worst they can say is no.

law 1

Postby law 1 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Agreed with the person above me, went to law school right after college, non top 50 law school, and got a internship post 2L at a VC firm with no contacts. (not a fan of working at a law firm, got boring for me)

It was very tough, a lot of hard work, networking and luck, but its all possible if you work at it. Carve your own path, wish you the best!

Return to “Legal Employment”