Need TLS's advice re: multiple offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need TLS's advice re: multiple offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:35 pm

This 1L job search has been more stressful than I ever wanted.

I went for it guns blazing over break and sent a cover letter and resume to every federal judge in a 3-state radius. At the same time, I applied to most every firm in that radius that had my practice group of interest.

I have, like most other people, gotten an overwhelming chorus of dings. In my hometown secondary market I've gotten nothing. I got an interview with a firm and an interview with a federal judge in another market about 200 miles away, and had those last week. Both went well but neither was an offer on the spot.

Meanwhile I got an email from a federal magistrate judge at the far end of that 3 state radius. The judge said thanks for applying, please send a writing sample. I did so, and assumed that was it.

Well, this afternoon that judge called me on the phone. I should have screened the call but I didn't, and I answered. I was offered a position on the spot.

I should be happy, but I'm not. I'd much rather work for the judge closer to home, but since I haven't been offered, I can't do anything yet.

Am I stuck? I have to take this offer from today, don't I? I'm frustrated that everything has kinda unraveled based on one impromptu phone interview I never saw coming.

The judge is willing to let me work for as few as 6 weeks and would be fine if I split with a firm. I also have until 2/1 to decide. However, that's still 6 weeks unpaid 500 miles from home.

Re: Need TLS's advice re: multiple offers

Postby amped » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:43 pm

My advice: go find a professor that you trust and ask him or her. Talk to career services too.

You might be able to call the judge you want to work for and explain that you have another offer, but that you'd rather work for him/her. I would consult career services before doing that, however, to make sure the judge won't react adversely.

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Sorry boss, but the conventional wisdom is never turn down a judge. I doubt anyone is going to advise you differently. Try to find something else and split the summer.

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:24 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”