1L Summer Jobs in IP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SciLaw

1L Summer Jobs in IP

Postby SciLaw » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:37 pm

In considering my options for law school, I am trying my best to avoid excess debt. As a science major, I am very interested in IP/patent law. I am thinking about taking the patent bar exam before law school. If I did, would it increase my chances of getting a paid 1L summer job?

I realize this probably depends on where I end up for law school. I'd love to go to GW, but I realize that this may not be an option. What is the possibility of getting a 1L patent job if I attend a low T1 state school?

wiseowl

Re: 1L Summer Jobs in IP

Postby wiseowl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:26 pm

SciLaw wrote:In considering my options for law school, I am trying my best to avoid excess debt. As a science major, I am very interested in IP/patent law. I am thinking about taking the patent bar exam before law school. If I did, would it increase my chances of getting a paid 1L summer job?

I realize this probably depends on where I end up for law school. I'd love to go to GW, but I realize that this may not be an option. What is the possibility of getting a 1L patent job if I attend a low T1 state school?

hard to say for next year. this year those of us in your position aren't getting much of anything, patent bar or not, unless you are related to someone at the firm.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:29 pm

There are a number of lucrative diversity positions created solely for fostering higher number of minority attorneys in IP practice. I imagine the competition for those slots to be rather low.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:33 pm

Yeah, I've actually seen a lot of 1L private firm jobs only open to people with MS/PhD in applicable scientific discipline.

Return to “Legal Employment”