Tax Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
heyguys

Tax Law

Postby heyguys » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:51 am

Anyone have any good resources at hand regarding what it's like to be a tax lawyer? I'm generally interested in tax, and I've been thinking that it might make for a neat practice area to pursue. Just thought I would solicit resources to peruse in coming to a more accurate judgment in this regard.

Thanks!

pandacot

Re: Tax Law

Postby pandacot » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Taxtalent.com generally is the best forum for tax law. There are some knowledgeable people there, as well as the typical forum idiots. Only worthwhile forum I've found for tax law.

edcrane

Postby edcrane » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:05 pm

If your school provides free access to vault, check out the vault guide to tax--it's illuminating.

Taxtalent is a great resource, but there are relatively few biglaw tax associates there. Most of the people there tend to either work for big 4 accounting firms or do controversy work. If you're on a biglaw trajectory, then, taxtalent may be of limited use.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:04 am

Does anyone know what the salary is like for JDs at big 4?

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:16 am

I'm a tax lawyer (biglaw) if you have any particular questions. I enjoy tax and always recommend it to people who are at all inclined towards it.

Does anyone know what the salary is like for JDs at big 4?

It depends if you are talking national tax office or normal branch office. JDs at a normal branch office don't make much more than the typical fresh from undergrad accounting major (50-60k). National tax office JDs (usually have an LLM too) make low six figures to start. The downside of the national tax office is that you end up hyper-specializing. The upside is that you are basically setting firm-wide policy for that specific area.

Generally, I would recommend going the biglaw route if you can. Big 4 tends to be same hours, but less interesting work and less pay.

If you're on a biglaw trajectory, then, taxtalent may be of limited use.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the people on tax talent are CPA-types.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:19 am

In case I don't get a biglaw job for 2L summer, do you think interning at a big4 is a good idea?

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:22 am

In case I don't get a biglaw job for 2L summer, do you think interning at a big4 is a good idea?

You could do worse. If you haven't applied already, a few large companies hire for their tax department in a summer associate-like position (most notably Exxon). Also, DOJ SLIP for tax is a great experience (apps due soon, I think), although it won't necessarily lead to a permanent job like biglaw SA position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:25 am

nealric wrote:

You could do worse. If you haven't applied already, a few large companies hire for their tax department in a summer associate-like position (most notably Exxon). Also, DOJ SLIP for tax is a great experience (apps due soon, I think), although it won't necessarily lead to a permanent job like biglaw SA position.

If I don't get a biglaw job, I want to do 3L OCI next year. How will biglaw firms look at big4 summer internship? Thanks.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:21 pm

If I don't get a biglaw job, I want to do 3L OCI next year. How will biglaw firms look at big4 summer internship? Thanks.

3L OCI is a pretty tough game these days. The vast majority of the very few offers out there are going to go to people who did SAs and got offers, but are looking to jump firms. They won't look at big4 in askance, but they won't be overly wowed by it.

Return to “Legal Employment”