Which professor should I work for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which professor should I work for?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Professor A:
- Did extremely well in her class (A+, not sure how many A+'s are awarded).
- She at least knows who I am
- Been at the school for a long time
- Not really interested in the subjects that she teaches and researches

Professor B:
- Did very well in his class (A)
- Interested in his field
- We're both from the same geographical area (which is nowhere near where my school is)
- Besides getting called on once, have never spoken with him in my life

Cavalier

Gold

Re: Which professor should I work for?

Post by Cavalier » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:15 pm

I'd go with professor B. The difference between A and A+ shouldn't matter in your decision. You have something in common with professor B, and are interested in his subject, so it sounds like will have the opportunity to develop a good relationship with him, even if you don't know each other now. With professor A, just take another class with her and do well, and you can probably get a decent reference from her without being her RA.

jp0094

Bronze

Post by jp0094 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Professor A:
- Did extremely well in her class (A+, not sure how many A+'s are awarded).
- She at least knows who I am
- Been at the school for a long time
- Not really interested in the subjects that she teaches and researches

Professor B:
- Did very well in his class (A)
- Interested in his field
- We're both from the same geographical area (which is nowhere near where my school is)
- Besides getting called on once, have never spoken with him in my life
IMO this decision comes down to how uninterested you are in A versus how interested you are in B. Since you already have a connection with A it may be beneficial to nurture that relationship for the future. However, it would be a bad choice in my mind to go with A if you strongly dislike A's subject. I wouldn't want to spend the entire time working on a subject I disliked. That being said, if you only mildly dislike subject A it may be worth it to pursue given your previous connection with A.

EDIT: Cavalier brings up a really good point about being able to get a reference without RAing for A. TCR

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm

B. Definitely RA in the area you're interested in. The only other thing to consider would be if A were a superstar who has pull with judges and B not.

You'll get to know B. It doesn't matter that he doesn't already know you, if he knows enough that he offered you a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”