T3, top 5% 1L.....advice? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T3, top 5% 1L.....advice?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:53 am

Some of you will likely know who I am (as I am a regular), however, in this case I feel that an anonymous name would be better, just in case. Anyway, one of my friends asked what kind of firms I was applying to and I was like, "What? People do that from here?" It actually took me by surprise so I went up to the career services office and they also want me to apply to firms. A career officer actually said, "I was meaning to talk to you guys this week." This also came as a surprise, as I assume the "you guys" were likely the top students in my 1L class. I then began to think about it and it makes sense that they would want to talk to these students to help the school's summer numbers and entice prospective students to attend; plus it probably helps the career service office. As I now sit here with a gigantic NALP book in front of me laughing at the possibility of any firm even considering me, I got the idea to come ask you guys what you thought. My school places very well in-state and pretty much nowhere else. There are not very many firms in the state's biggest city but there are a few. There are also about 5 big cities w/in 3-500 miles away where they will have at least heard of my school. One is a major market, three are bigger secondary markets, and then there are a few stragglers that have a few big firms here and there. Chances? Thanks.

Oh, and what if I sent out like 200 resume/cover letters.....maybe get a bite?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: T3, top 5% 1L.....advice?

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:00 am

Bombard everyone. Do whatever you can to find work this summer, whether it's at a firm or not.

In the meantime, transfer the hell out of there and up to T14. You can probably do pretty well with those kind of numbers.

SplitterPride

New

Post by SplitterPride » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:44 am

They have this wonderful application in facebook called Farmville. I reckon it probably looks like your law school with the tool shed. Speaking of which, Cargill has a bustling legal dept that is in need of a summer intern. Apply pronto. U can thank me for it later on, Bobby.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:59 am

Yeah, how'd you know my school was featured in Farmville? :shock: Stalker......

Think I'll get any responses w/ the bombardment tactic? As for transferring: I am getting the materials ready but I think I need to do even better next semester to have a shot at the t14. I sure hope I get in though!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Think I'll get any responses w/ the bombardment tactic?
I think you'll have more chance of getting responses if you do the bombardment tactic than if you do nothing at all. This is about all that you can know for sure and all that can matter. It increases your odds of finding a job from 0 to some non-0 number; if you have the time to churn out the apps, that should be all the incentive you need.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Some of you will likely know who I am (as I am a regular), however, in this case I feel that an anonymous name would be better, just in case. Anyway, one of my friends asked what kind of firms I was applying to and I was like, "What? People do that from here?" It actually took me by surprise so I went up to the career services office and they also want me to apply to firms. A career officer actually said, "I was meaning to talk to you guys this week." This also came as a surprise, as I assume the "you guys" were likely the top students in my 1L class. I then began to think about it and it makes sense that they would want to talk to these students to help the school's summer numbers and entice prospective students to attend; plus it probably helps the career service office. As I now sit here with a gigantic NALP book in front of me laughing at the possibility of any firm even considering me, I got the idea to come ask you guys what you thought. My school places very well in-state and pretty much nowhere else. There are not very many firms in the state's biggest city but there are a few. There are also about 5 big cities w/in 3-500 miles away where they will have at least heard of my school. One is a major market, three are bigger secondary markets, and then there are a few stragglers that have a few big firms here and there. Chances? Thanks.

Oh, and what if I sent out like 200 resume/cover letters.....maybe get a bite?
Congratulations, my, um, anonymous friend! (Mods can see who you are.) I take it this means you have all your grades back... This was well done, very well done! I knew you could do it! I am thrilled out of my mind for you, because now you can go anywhere.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:55 am

I like the idea of transferring, but I would direct my energy towards getting hired first.

I forget who it is, but there was a poster who transferred from T1/T2 to Columbia, and they said it was the worst decision they ever made. They were 2L, and had only been at C one semester. They said that interviewers saw them as "not really a Columbia student" and didn't really evaluate them on their merits since they had to compete with all the people who were "really a Columbia student". They took on tons more debt to go there, and their job prospects back in their home region (Indiana, I think) really weren't bad with the grades they had.

Be careful, OP. Do mad research.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:26 pm

sure employers will be somewhat skeptical. That's when you get on the aggressive side and tell them "yes I didn't compete with CLS students, but I worked extremely hard for those grades and was taught by professors just as qualified and I believe I will have the same success here as well as at your firm because I am driven to continue to prove myself each and everyday"

when you say it, you have to mean it. Seem offended by it that someone would think that you somehow skated to top 5% of your class. CLS is competitive and has really smart people, but TTT are also hyper-competitive since everyone is trying to get the f' out and only the top students get jobs.

Oh and just focus on the positives. If it ever comes up that you transferred or anything about your old school, stay classy and don't say anything negative.

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:17 pm

legends159 wrote:sure employers will be somewhat skeptical. That's when you get on the aggressive side and tell them "yes I didn't compete with CLS students, but I worked extremely hard for those grades and was taught by professors just as qualified and I believe I will have the same success here as well as at your firm because I am driven to continue to prove myself each and everyday"

when you say it, you have to mean it. Seem offended by it that someone would think that you somehow skated to top 5% of your class. CLS is competitive and has really smart people, but TTT are also hyper-competitive since everyone is trying to get the f' out and only the top students get jobs.

Oh and just focus on the positives. If it ever comes up that you transferred or anything about your old school, stay classy and don't say anything negative.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:49 pm

yeah firms like alpha dogs. man up
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:56 pm

I don't think you're going to have much luck. While those grades may make you competitive with medianish students at top schools, they're not going to get summer associateships as 1Ls either, not this year. That said, what is a resume bombing campaign going to cost you? 200 firms for around $200? Free if you use email? Don't know where you are, but if there is a local market you might have success with mediums sized firms, but you don't want to commit to a 2L summer with them as well (well, unless you do).
Last edited by Oblomov on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:00 pm

Z3RO wrote:I like the idea of transferring, but I would direct my energy towards getting hired first.

I forget who it is, but there was a poster who transferred from T1/T2 to Columbia, and they said it was the worst decision they ever made. They were 2L, and had only been at C one semester. They said that interviewers saw them as "not really a Columbia student" and didn't really evaluate them on their merits since they had to compete with all the people who were "really a Columbia student". They took on tons more debt to go there, and their job prospects back in their home region (Indiana, I think) really weren't bad with the grades they had.

Be careful, OP. Do mad research.
To a certain extent, I think it's justified, at least if you accept the absurd premises that OCI interviews are based on. How do you know if your talking to a CLS A or C student? It's all fine and good if you have experience with top t3 grads, but if you don't the person's sort of an unknown.

Firm's want a least a semester's grades from CLS 1Ls; if they were happy with anyone that got in the door it'd be different.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:39 pm

I want to know who the OP is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:46 am

In this economy, just bombard. Also, to whomever said to transfer to the T14, I would say to that that the OP should think about a) where he wants to practice and b) getting more scholly money from the school he's at now before he considers tranfer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Bump. It's OP here. Thanks for all the advice. How do you guys find midlaw firms that are not listed on the NALP? Should I apply "out of area" if I have connections there? Thanks.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:02 pm

I would at least apply to transfer if for no other reason to leverage scholarship money (if you aren't already on scholarship)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:13 pm

nealric wrote:I would at least apply to transfer if for no other reason to leverage scholarship money (if you aren't already on scholarship)
Yeah, I'm definitely going to apply, that's for sure. Whether I leave (or even get in anywhere) remains to be seen. My school is a state school that is very broke and doesn't give out very much scholarship money, but I'll be sure to at least ask.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”