Which branch of the FEDERAL GOVT - please help!! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which one?

Department of Justice - Criminal Division (DC)
30%
Securities and Exchange Commission Summer Honors Program (DC)
10%
US Attorney's Office (NYC)
60%

Total votes: 10

Anonymous User

Which branch of the FEDERAL GOVT - please help!!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:11 pm

I am a 1L and I'm exploring federal gov't positions for the summer, particularly in federal fraud/white collar crime prosecution. Right now I have an offer w/ the DOJ (Criminal Division - one of the white collar crime/fraud type groups), but I also have interviews lined up for the SEC and one of the NYC offices of the USAO.

Since all three of the jobs seem really interesting, I kind of wanted to get everyone's opinion, if anyone has heard anything or if there is a general consensus about which one is preferable in general. I understand that it'll depend on each person's preference so this is generally what I am looking for:
- Hands-on trial work
- Opportunity to sit in on courtroom action (or participate if possible)
- Good experience to talk about when interviewing for 2L summer associate positions
- Collegial environment w/ a structured internship program

Also, I prefer to be in NYC and the DOJ and SEC positions are in DC.

I understand a few other posters had similar questions, but I kinda wanted to throw the SEC into the fray.

Renzo

Gold

Re: Which branch of the FEDERAL GOVT - please help!!

Post by Renzo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L and I'm exploring federal gov't positions for the summer, particularly in federal fraud/white collar crime prosecution. Right now I have an offer w/ the DOJ (Criminal Division - one of the white collar crime/fraud type groups), but I also have interviews lined up for the SEC and one of the NYC offices of the USAO.

Since all three of the jobs seem really interesting, I kind of wanted to get everyone's opinion, if anyone has heard anything or if there is a general consensus about which one is preferable in general. I understand that it'll depend on each person's preference so this is generally what I am looking for:
- Hands-on trial work
- Opportunity to sit in on courtroom action (or participate if possible)
- Good experience to talk about when interviewing for 2L summer associate positions
- Collegial environment w/ a structured internship program

Also, I prefer to be in NYC and the DOJ and SEC positions are in DC.

I understand a few other posters had similar questions, but I kinda wanted to throw the SEC into the fray.
If you haven't interviewed yet, I wouldn't feel real great about turning down an offer, all of those will be very competitive. How long do you have to decide?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”