1L with OK grades clueless about what to do this summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thexfactor

1L with OK grades clueless about what to do this summer

Postby thexfactor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:20 am

Hey guys, I am really clueless as to what I should be doing this summer. I go to a school ranked ~50. Made Dean's list first semester and should prob be around 20%tile. Mid 3.4x

What kind of jobs should I be looking for. Do you think I have enough to apply to the SEC? Are Judicial Internships worth it?

Also, does it matter if i did especially well on one subject matter as compared to others?

My parents have a family friend who is a partner at a midsize firm (200-300 lawyer firm in the midwest). He said my grades were decent this semester and that he would take me on as an unpaid volunteer. He also hinted that I would get an interview next year if my second semester grades are similar.

postitnotes

Re: 1L with OK grades clueless about what to do this summer

Postby postitnotes » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:44 am

SEC is pretty prestige-whorish and wants top students from top schools (T14), so probs not. You should highly consider that hook-up.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:43 am

do you know anything about judicial internships? are they worth doing?

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:52 am

For something legal on your resume, they're always worth doing. In terms of experience gained, it varies widely. You can be an office gofer, or you can essentially be a clerk.

Your odds of getting paid work this summer are very, very low. I would take the unpaid intern position at the big firm. You'll learn a lot just by going to lunch with some of the people there.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:42 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:For something legal on your resume, they're always worth doing. In terms of experience gained, it varies widely. You can be an office gofer, or you can essentially be a clerk.

Your odds of getting paid work this summer are very, very low. I would take the unpaid intern position at the big firm. You'll learn a lot just by going to lunch with some of the people there.

Yea i think you are right. My grades aren't that good and my school is ranked in the 50s.
Which volunteer position will look better on my resume?

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 am

thexfactor wrote:do you know anything about judicial internships? are they worth doing?

I'm working for a federal judge this summer so I am not exactly sure what the work entails. However, I pretty much only applied for judicial externships. From what I have heard, they are worth doing for the experience (research/writing). People have also told me that in the past you were given somewhat of a leg up for judicial externships over certain types of summer jobs at OCI. (Supposedly, after the biglaw contraction, there isn't as much of a "plus" at OCI and grades are ever more important.)

I think you should probably work for your connection though. This is because in case your grades can't land you a paid job via OCI, he might be able to hook you up.

Return to “Legal Employment”