How is CLEO perceived?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How is CLEO perceived?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:09 am

I love the idea of getting a head start on figuring out the mechanics of briefing cases, outlines, etc. that the CLEO 6-Week Summer Institute offers. However, according to the website, 40% of participants have not secured a law school acceptance by the start of the program.

I'm concerned that participating in a program like this will give off the impression of a lack of (previous) academic rigor. I could be totally off-base with this which is why I would love to hear from former CLEO participants (especially those who attend/graduated from a T14 law school).

I hope this doesn't come off as terribly elitist. I really want to do well in law school and CLEO seems to offer a great preparatory curriculum, but I'm trying to figure out if it's a good fit.

dat_raw_n_tellect

Re: How is CLEO perceived?

Postby dat_raw_n_tellect » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:19 am

Hello:

I am currently in the CLEO program and it isn't perceived badly at all. In fact, a number of older, minority lawyers participated in the program in its infancy. Also, there are students in CLEO from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc. I think the 6 week program is great if you have the chance to participate in it. I was only able to do the weekend program (Attitude is Essential). I say do it, unless you have the chance to do SEO or something. CLEO gives a bar stipend to 3Ls and you make a lot of great connections over your law school career.

Good luck!

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I love the idea of getting a head start on figuring out the mechanics of briefing cases, outlines, etc. that the CLEO 6-Week Summer Institute offers. However, according to the website, 40% of participants have not secured a law school acceptance by the start of the program.

I'm concerned that participating in a program like this will give off the impression of a lack of (previous) academic rigor. I could be totally off-base with this which is why I would love to hear from former CLEO participants (especially those who attend/graduated from a T14 law school).

I hope this doesn't come off as terribly elitist. I really want to do well in law school and CLEO seems to offer a great preparatory curriculum, but I'm trying to figure out if it's a good fit.

Stop defining your life by what people who don't matter think of you. If CLEO increases your GPA by .05 it's worth it. FYI, some of my classmates attended CLEO and, between that and their work ethic, were very well prepared going into exams AND made lasting connections with their CLEO classmates and mentors that will certainly help them throughout their careers.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:41 am

Kohinoor wrote:Stop defining your life by what people who don't matter think of you. If CLEO increases your GPA by .05 it's worth it.

This. When you graduate law school, you're going to be a lawyer. If you don't like other people thinking bad things about you, you might to reconsider your career choice now, before it's too late.

Do what it takes to get ahead. If people hate you for doing something that makes you more successful than them, then just remember, living well is the best revenge.

Return to “Legal Employment”