1L Summer Non-URM

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Non-URM

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:25 pm

Ok, so this is probably a big fat no but are there any firms that hire Non-URMs for the summer? If so, how can I find them?

Renzo

Re: 1L Summer Non-URM

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, so this is probably a big fat no but are there any firms that hire Non-URMs for the summer? If so, how can I find them?

Small firms. Use the Martindale-Hubble index on Lexis to look for small firms that practice in areas you like and in geographic locations you have ties to/ go to school in.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, so this is probably a big fat no but are there any firms that hire Non-URMs for the summer? If so, how can I find them?

It is not a big fat no at all. Speaking very generally, medium-to-large firms in smaller markets will hire 1L SA's, but they look hard for ties to the area. If you are from a "top" school, they won't necessarily insist on stellar grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 pm

I'm from a T2 school in a major city/market, but there are some smaller cities around that may have more ties to my school. What's the best way to research possible opportunities?

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm from a T2 school in a major city/market, but there are some smaller cities around that may have more ties to my school. What's the best way to research possible opportunities?
My two cents based on my personal experience & anecdotal evidence from a smaller market:
With a T2 school, your grades will matter to larger firms. If you think they're good enough to give you a shot at a larger firm (at least top 1/3 probably and that's being generous), then for a first pass use NALP and/or Martindale Hubbel to find firms with >100 lawyers in the smaller markets you have ties to. If you want to find really small firms, like under 20 lawyers, grades will matter much less/not at all and I don't know of any way better than the phone book.

Edit: when I say ties to the area, I don't mean just through your school, but where you grew up, worked, went to UG, etc.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:52 pm

Firms look for all types of diversity for their summer hires.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:56 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

Firms look for all types of diversity for their summer hires.

Would a boring middle class white guy fresh out of UG count as diverse?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:57 pm

Renzo wrote:

Small firms. Use the Martindale-Hubble index on Lexis to look for small firms that practice in areas you like and in geographic locations you have ties to/ go to school in.

+1

My career counselor told me about Martindale today. It's legit.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:50 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Renzo wrote:

+1

yikes. your career counselor certainly took his sweet time.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:39 pm

wiseowl wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Renzo wrote:

+1

yikes. your career counselor certainly took his sweet time.

I blew off job apps last semester. It's totally my fault. I went in to see her for the first time yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:37 pm

It depends on what school you attend. I'm a non-URM who attends HYS, and I've gotten an interview at a couple of biglaw firms. Now, my URM friends are having a much more successful go of it than I, but I'm also more interested in doing government or public interest work my 1L summer anyway.

Return to “Legal Employment”