Being a Law School TA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Being a Law School TA?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:19 am

Forgot for a moment the fact that being a TA is probably not something you "choose" to do. Do you think this is an interesting or influential law school "soft"? Essentially, is it something that is worth pursing because employers will like it or purely for its intrinsic value.

Space_Cowboy

Re: Being a Law School TA?

Postby Space_Cowboy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Forgot for a moment the fact that being a TA is probably not something you "choose" to do. Do you think this is an interesting or influential law school "soft"? Essentially, is it something that is worth pursing because employers will like it or purely for its intrinsic value.

If it comes with a stipend and a partial tuition remission, it could be worth it for the money at least.

Why is this anonymous?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks for the opinion. It is anon because I don't want to come off as a massive gunner to the people from my school on these boards. (We all know each other in person.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:15 am

I was a TA this past semester. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be, but it definitely helped me learn the material better. It had been a while since I took the class and some of my knowledge was a bit rusty.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:19 am

Interesting, I didn't realize law schools had TAs (Other than for LRW).

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm

I know it's not exactly the law school situation you're describing, but I was a TA for an undergrad course last year (and am again this year). I put it as a quick line on my resume, and a couple employers commented on it during OCI this fall. Their comments often started off being related to the topic of the course (something science-related), and then transitioned to the responsibilities.

In my experience, being a TA has been low-stress and high-paying (I know that's not true for everyone)...if it works for you, I think it can't hurt you. Shows you can be organized/command attention/(hopefully) be objective with assessments of others - the types of things you'd need to do as a young or mid-level lawyer. I would imagine that being a TA for a law school class shows you really mastered that material (and probably more helpfully, it should help you build or strengthen a relationship with a professor).

deathviaboredom

Postby deathviaboredom » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:07 am

how does one become a TA? Are u chosen? Do you ask the professor?

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:28 am

highest score in class from last or previous year (or so i have heard after researching this myself)

Return to “Legal Employment”