Changing one's name ...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Changing one's name ...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm about to enter law school and I have a really foreign-sounding east Indian name. I was wondering what your opinion is on getting a name change to something more American (i.e. swapping out my middle name for a more English name). I'm currently a professional in the engineering field, and I feel my name isn't an obstacle at all but then again I don't really interact with people/clients/customers ever. I feel this is a fleeting opportunity since it would be best to do this change right before law school so my future co-workers/peers would know and call me by my new, more "professional" name. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: I think some Indian names are really simple and professional enough (like Arun, etc..). Unfortunately my first name is like 3 syllables. Nobody knows how to pronounce it. I'm not even sure myself because different ppl in my community say it different ways. Its really just awkward for everyone.

bissey

Re: Changing one's name ...

Postby bissey » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:26 pm

interesting... i just wanted to add that i think clients will call you mr. (last name) so your first name wont matter

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Is there an easier nickname for your given name?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:41 pm

bissey wrote:interesting... i just wanted to add that i think clients will call you mr. (last name) so your first name wont matter

Thats a good point, but I figured after a while they might start calling me by my first name. Also, I'd imagine that my coworkers (and classmates) would call me by my first name. Fortunately my last name, albeit foreign, isn't all too difficult to pronounce.

thalassocrat wrote:Is there an easier nickname for your given name?

A nickname that I presently go by? No. There is an English name that is somewhat similar to my current name, but I was instead thinking of adopting my dad's "professional" name. He travels around as a consultant in the oil industry and he goes by an (unofficial) English name. I figured it wouldn't be so random if I named myself after my dad.

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:48 pm

I mean, if you think it will help you succeed, and you don't mind, that's your choice. Personally, I would think that changing your name to "fit in" would be kind of selling out; no one needs to abandon something that links them to their heritage for the sake of phoenetic convinience. It is really your choice.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:49 pm

Why are you anonymous?

Don't change your name. I think the nickname idea is probably the best route. For example, if your name is Mohandas, just go by "Mo."

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:51 pm

i have a friend names shejal that goes by sam. if you want an "american" moniker then just pick what you like. no need for the official name change.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:57 pm

I have a friend name Raghu that goes by Ram. Everybody thinks he says "Ron," though, so he should probably rethink that.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:07 pm

"What ever happened to good ole' American names like Dave, or Jim, or... Harold. Now that's a great name."

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:16 pm

hds2388 wrote:I mean, if you think it will help you succeed, and you don't mind, that's your choice. Personally, I would think that changing your name to "fit in" would be kind of selling out; no one needs to abandon something that links them to their heritage for the sake of phoenetic convinience. It is really your choice.

See, that's what I normally think, but this kind of threw me off:
Unfortunately my first name is like 3 syllables. Nobody knows how to pronounce it. I'm not even sure myself because different ppl in my community say it different ways. Its really just awkward for everyone.

It's one thing if you're doing it because we stupid Americans can't pronounce it, but if even you're unsure, well... :lol: So that's why I suggested a nickname.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:22 pm

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:28 pm

I don't think it's necessary to officially change it. My boss has a foreign-sounding first name that he hardly ever uses. His business cards read Firstname "NicknameIuse" Lastname. Everyone calls him by his nickname and he's been around for decades. He signs his letters with his nickname. The letterhead does have his real name, but the confusion is usually minimal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

hds2388 wrote: Personally, I would think that changing your name to "fit in" would be kind of selling out; no one needs to abandon something that links them to their heritage for the sake of phoenetic convinience. It is really your choice.

Yeah I that's what my parents would say, but then again many waves of immigrants came here and changed their names to all sorts of things.

Corsair wrote:This thread feels like it should have an "Indian tech support guy with American name" joke in it.

I can't think of any at the moment, but there was a funny German commercial with a similar sort of concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdxqIBfEAw

rx3r wrote:I don't think it's necessary to officially change it.

I'm kind of leaning towards changing it officially ... its not like my middle name has any sort of purpose, and I'm still going to retain my first and last names ...

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm about to enter law school and I have a really foreign-sounding east Indian name. I was wondering what your opinion is on getting a name change to something more American (i.e. swapping out my middle name for a more English name). I'm currently a professional in the engineering field, and I feel my name isn't an obstacle at all but then again I don't really interact with people/clients/customers ever. I feel this is a fleeting opportunity since it would be best to do this change right before law school so my future co-workers/peers would know and call me by my new, more "professional" name. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: I think some Indian names are really simple and professional enough (like Arun, etc..). Unfortunately my first name is like 3 syllables. Nobody knows how to pronounce it. I'm not even sure myself because different ppl in my community say it different ways. Its really just awkward for everyone.

If you want to do it, do it. It's really not a big deal and you might be surprised how common it is. Nearly everyone I went to HS with was operating under an assumed American name, since no one could ever pronounce their birth names. Many of them changed the name legally, and are still going by the American name.
I also have a friend in a primarily male dominated art field who legally changed her first name to something that is pretty gender neutral so it wouldn't influence how people judged her work. It was very easy for her to do.
I'm sure you can find the requirements easily online.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:15 pm

What are you going to pick as a new name, out of curiosity?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:25 pm

rx3r wrote:What are you going to pick as a new name, out of curiosity?

"Sam" --> simple, 1-syllable, all-american. I could play high school football with a name like that. Whaddya guys think?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:29 pm

kn6542 wrote:If you want to do it, do it. It's really not a big deal and you might be surprised how common it is. Nearly everyone I went to HS with was operating under an assumed American name, since no one could ever pronounce their birth names. Many of them changed the name legally, and are still going by the American name.
I also have a friend in a primarily male dominated art field who legally changed her first name to something that is pretty gender neutral so it wouldn't influence how people judged her work. It was very easy for her to do.
I'm sure you can find the requirements easily online.

Thanks. Yeah I knew this russian jewish guy who is a doctor who changed his russian sounding name to something more american-jewish. to help with his career

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rx3r wrote:What are you going to pick as a new name, out of curiosity?

"Sam" --> simple, 1-syllable, all-american. I could play high school football with a name like that. Whaddya guys think?

Sam is a nice name.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:50 pm

The middle name thing isn't a bad idea, but I really don't think it's necessary. Plenty of people go by names that are not their legal names. If there's something you like, just go with it.

Return to “Legal Employment”