1L job offers for summer 2010 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pearalegal

Silver

Re: 1L job offers for summer 2010

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if that doesn't pan out, just working at Wal-Mart for the summer?
Haha, I saw who you were before you corrected your post.

And I'm no expert, but the bolded seems like a terrible idea and as an extreme last resort (maybe it was a joke?). You need something legal to put on your resume to try and get a job.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Clarification: I got interviews with all the firms, but didn't get ANY judge/government/actually obtainable job interviews. And I had plenty of call backs, so I made it through the 1st rounds of any firm I was in the running for. Not even a screening interview for prosecutors/judges.

Any ideas anyone? Some have suggested trying different states altogether, but I'm too poor to live away from my family even for a summer. Is there any downside to just applying for RA positions so I can stay at school, or if that doesn't pan out, just working at Wal-Mart for the summer?
Oh... that's different. Here are a few suggestions:

1) in-house depts

2) cold-call smaller firms in the area of your school to see if they want a year-round clerk (PT during school, FT in summer). Substantive low-paid experience w/a small plaintiff's firm might help w/getting into the defense work that many mid/large firms do (I know it does at the associate level, at least where I live), and counter-intuitive as it sounds, some plaintiff's lawyers have good relationships with lawyers on the opposite side and may be able to hook you up at a larger firm that does defense work.

3) Low-paid judicial internships at courts you might not think to apply to may be available in your area. For example I know of a family court judge who pays summer interns (IIRC it's min-wage or thereabouts).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:22 pm

T10 1L, got a federal district court internship during break / before grades came out. I had a strong UG school and strong GPA, as well as a resume with lots of ties to my market, which I'm sure helped me get the interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:30 pm

t10

interview with midwest firm - secondary market, but only slightly less than big law pay (so I don't know how to characterize it)

interview with firm in the northeast. not v100, but a firm with a good reputation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:31 pm

HYS, job offer at fed agency in DC--pretty pumped

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:20 pm

T20 school. Applied to firms by mass mailings. Received an offer from a V30 firm in secondary market before grades came out. Only firm to offer interview without grades

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Anyone think it's even worth it to send out applications to firms that have deferred all their offers? I have a nice connection with what seems like a pretty well rated vault firm, but I'm not sure if it would really be worth it.

My thinking is it would take a lot of work/interviews/resume for me to work there probably for free. The firm has had a few small lay offs, forced early retirement, and deferred the class of 2009 indefinitely. The firm is also in my home town, something I am really not crazy about, as it was one of the reasons I went to a law school far from there.

So is it that important to get it on your resume? It looks very unlikely they are hiring much of anyone, and not sure if I would want to gamble on being deferred in two years (if I continued to go there next summer).

I was really thinking about doing a study abroad program, which sounds a lot more interesting to me. Studying international law in Tokyo or London sounds more enjoyable than 4-6 weeks with the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:10 pm

T20 here, have a judicial internship with the state supreme court of the state my school is in (had two grades at interview time) and still waiting to hear back from a firm interview in a smaller market. I got a lot of letters back from judges saying that they only hire 2Ls, which makes me wonder--why would a 2L do a judicial internship? Also applied at a few other places and still waiting to hear back!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:37 pm

YLS 1L - interviewed with several divisions within the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and received three offers. I'm pretty pumped! I got an offer from another prestigious federal agency in DC that's usually reserved for 2Ls and 3Ls, as well as from an US attorney in Manhattan but would rather go to DC.

All this was earlier in the month with no grades yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:28 pm

T10, federal magistrate internship

looking to split with a firm, have had firm interviews but no offers

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:YLS 1L - interviewed with several divisions within the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and received three offers. I'm pretty pumped! I got an offer from another prestigious federal agency in DC that's usually reserved for 2Ls and 3Ls, as well as from an US attorney in Manhattan but would rather go to DC.

I call BS on you being a YLS 1L because you mentioned "grades".

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Also, why don't y'all just say which firms you've interviewed with? You're anonymous.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:16 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:YLS 1L - interviewed with several divisions within the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and received three offers. I'm pretty pumped! I got an offer from another prestigious federal agency in DC that's usually reserved for 2Ls and 3Ls, as well as from an US attorney in Manhattan but would rather go to DC.

I think you might be right--at least I don't know anyone at all who has heard from the DOJ. I mean, it's possible that that person is telling the truth, but it's also definitely possible that it's a flame.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:39 pm

The flame giveaway was a Yallie claiming to have the social skills to land three jobs only after interviews.

*ducks*

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:01 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:

I haven't even taken the finals yet when it all came down, so no grades (pass/fail or more like pass/pass, that is :wink: ) yet. Thank God too, the last final took me 24 hours, although I was in my sweats in my room the whole time taking it online. So much fun wearing your sweats or PJs for most of the finals. :D

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:T20 here, have a judicial internship with the state supreme court of the state my school is in (had two grades at interview time) and still waiting to hear back from a firm interview in a smaller market. I got a lot of letters back from judges saying that they only hire 2Ls, which makes me wonder--why would a 2L do a judicial internship? Also applied at a few other places and still waiting to hear back!

Considering I know one person with a firm job, what else are we supposed to do? Have you not read a newspaper in the past year?

shuchong

New

Post by shuchong » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:24 am

heyguys wrote:JSUVA2012 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
YLS 1L - interviewed with several divisions within the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and received three offers. I'm pretty pumped! I got an offer from another prestigious federal agency in DC that's usually reserved for 2Ls and 3Ls, as well as from an US attorney in Manhattan but would rather go to DC.

I think you might be right--at least I don't know anyone at all who has heard from the DOJ. I mean, it's possible that that person is telling the truth, but it's also definitely possible that it's a flame.
I have no idea whether or not the anon Yale guy/girl is a flame, but there are definitely people at YLS who've heard from the DOJ. 3 that I know of, all with jobs in different divisions. Guess this means I should have sent in apps earlier instead of waiting until this week... oops.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:13 pm

It's not an offer yet, but I just heard back from the general counsel at an amazing art museum here in -------.

I will die if I get an offer from them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 pm

shuchong wrote: I have no idea whether or not the anon Yale guy/girl is a flame, but there are definitely people at YLS who've heard from the DOJ. 3 that I know of, all with jobs in different divisions. Guess this means I should have sent in apps earlier instead of waiting until this week... oops.
I'm the anon Yalie 1L. Yeah, I'm real anal. I sent out applications as soon as we were allowed to in the first or second week of December.

Early bird gets the worm, I guess. :wink:

But there are plenty of others I haven't heard from yet and probably won't.

The People's Tribune

New

Post by The People's Tribune » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:23 am

I know a few people at HLS with firm offers without grades. They just don't flaunt them like the notorious individual - funny considering one of them is a rather legendary forum troll here. I applied to 38 places so far and no bites and most of my friends are in the same boat (at HLS). We get grades on Monday and then the frenzy will begin. Firms mostly said they are waiting until then (unless you had some strong connection and/or fit into some sort of diversity program).

bizjunkie4

New

Post by bizjunkie4 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:38 am

1L at Louisville. Still way too early to know what the summer holds, but we did receive our grades in late December, which was nice. Most firms doing on-campus interviews want top one-third of class, and I feel very fortunate to be in this group. Still, there are only about a dozen of these jobs available for first year students. Many smaller firms are also hiring, but it's up to us to initiate contact. My plans for the future don't revolve around scoring a job at a gigantic firm in a huge city, which is probably a good thing considering where I am located!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:53 am

heyguys wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

I am a CCN 1L and I heard from the DOJ in mid-January. I think each division and section w/in each division conducts its own hiring, so it's possible that some sections have already conducted hiring and some haven't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Top 20 school. Got an offer today for a summer clerkship without grades in local market in a midsized city. Also interviewed with two boutique firms in Chicago and waiting to hear back from them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:34 pm

T20 1L here.

4 interviews with: 1 V20 firm (connection), 1 non-profit (from school CDO), 2 judges (direct mail). I accepted the first offer I got, which was a judicial internship. Judge also OK'd the idea of split summer if the V20 pans out.

A buddy of mine accepted DOJ internship a couple days ago. Most people here have nothing and just started to interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:47 pm

Does any one know which divisions of the DOJ have begun/ completed hiring?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”