1L job offers for summer 2010 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chadwick218

Silver

Re: 1L job offers for summer 2010

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:01 pm

scubagirl wrote:which SEC branches have you heard from? D.C.?

See PM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:18 pm

I am going to be working at the US Attorney's office this summer, received the offer last week. Also I have an interview today for a firm I might split with, hopefully it goes well. T10 1L, grades in the top third.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:49 am

sanpiero wrote:any 1Ls land an internship with a federal judge? if so, school and rank?

any idea when they usually make offers?
Michigan 1L. 9th Circuit federal judge. Grades are "okay."

I sent out a total of 9 applications at the end of December via email. (I know. I wasn't really into applying.) All of the federal judges (3) responded wanting interviews. At my first interview I was offered a position and accepted it on the spot.

Most judges are probably done hiring by now, so you better get a move on for the remainder.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:17 am

A classmate of mine (@ a T-14) recently met with career services to discuss potential jobs for the summer that paid. Her career told her that her best chance at a paid job for the summer was working as bartender or a waitress! Granted, her grades are at the median, but I was shocked to hear that career services would be willing to tell her such a thing (as obvious as it might be). They might as well told her to consider dancing ...

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:23 am

Career services operate at the extremes...it's either everyone is fine or everyone is doomed.

I know that b/c of what career services told me I accepted an unpaid position as soon as I was offered one b/c I was afraid I wouldn't get anything. No sooner did I do that that I started getting a bunch of firm callback interviews which I had to turn down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:26 am

legends159 wrote:Career services operate at the extremes...it's either everyone is fine or everyone is doomed.

I know that b/c of what career services told me I accepted an unpaid position as soon as I was offered one b/c I was afraid I wouldn't get anything. No sooner did I do that that I started getting a bunch of firm callback interviews which I had to turn down.
Indeed. The #1 lesson that I learned from 2L's and 3L's is not to listen to career services!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:33 pm

Does anyone know if the Haynes & Boone 1L Fast Track program pays? It's a program that lasts one week in August.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if the Haynes & Boone 1L Fast Track program pays? It's a program that lasts one week in August.
Although there 1L program pays (but I am curious to here how much even it was cut back this year), but it was my belief that the 1 week Fast Track program does not pay.

diplomat

New

Post by diplomat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:52 pm

1L, USAO SDNY this summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:34 pm

I have the following offers in hand: SEC Summer Honors Program (pay unknown / possibly unpaid) v. NALP 250 HQ'd in the regional market that I grew up in (pay = $20K over 10 weeks).

I am very interested in pursuing a career in transactional work / securities law. The firm job would very likely result in an offer to return for my 2L summer. However, come OCI, the only way that I would consider taking a job from a firm in to the city where I grew up is if I struck out with firms in NY, Chicago, or LA. Thoughts?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have the following offers in hand: SEC Summer Honors Program (pay unknown / possibly unpaid) v. NALP 250 HQ'd in the regional market that I grew up in (pay = $20K over 10 weeks).

I am very interested in pursuing a career in transactional work / securities law. The firm job would very likely result in an offer to return for my 2L summer. However, come OCI, the only way that I would consider taking a job from a firm in to the city where I grew up is if I struck out with firms in NY, Chicago, or LA. Thoughts?
Go to the firm. $20k in your pocket.

I'm getting a little annoyed at all the 1Ls who are getting SA offers in their hometowns when they don't even want to practice there unless they strike out everywhere else. I didn't get a firm offer in my hometown market that is my #1 choice. :x

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have the following offers in hand: SEC Summer Honors Program (pay unknown / possibly unpaid) v. NALP 250 HQ'd in the regional market that I grew up in (pay = $20K over 10 weeks).

How did you get the interview with the NALP firm? Just mass mailing for interview request or connections?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:

How did you get the interview with the NALP firm? Just mass mailing for interview request or connections?
Mass mailings!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:18 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:I'm getting a little annoyed at all the 1Ls who are getting SA offers in their hometowns when they don't even want to practice there unless they strike out everywhere else. I didn't get a firm offer in my hometown market that is my #1 choice. :x
I agree, but this might have a lot more to do with your desired market (possibly one of the toughest regional markets to crack right now) than you as an applicant.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:57 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:I'm getting a little annoyed at all the 1Ls who are getting SA offers in their hometowns when they don't even want to practice there unless they strike out everywhere else. I didn't get a firm offer in my hometown market that is my #1 choice. :x
I agree, but this might have a lot more to do with your desired market (possibly one of the toughest regional markets to crack right now) than you as an applicant.
Agreed.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am very interested in pursuing a career in transactional work / securities law.
This should answer the question for you.

I think you'll be in a very good spot this fall should you have an offer in hand from the firm, experience with said firm, and your school's oci

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:13 pm

sanpiero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am very interested in pursuing a career in transactional work / securities law.

I think you'll be in a very good spot this fall should you have an offer in hand from the firm, experience with said firm, and your school's oci
Wait, I am confused? You are advocating taking a firm job in a regional market in light of wanting to pursue a career in either transactional work or securities law? The only reason that I have to work for this firm is if I completely strike out in OCI. Granted, 1L summer internships don't mean very much, but I have to believe that the SEC Honors Program is looked upon more favorably than a mid-market firm in a regional market.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sanpiero wrote:

Wait, I am confused? You are advocating taking a firm job in a regional market in light of wanting to pursue a career in either transactional work or securities law? The only reason that I have to work for this firm is if I completely strike out in OCI. Granted, 1L summer internships don't mean very much, but I have to believe that the SEC Honors Program is looked upon more favorably than a mid-market firm in a regional market.
I guess I should have first asked whether you'd be working with partners who pratice in securities/transactional law. I assumed you would be. If you're going to be researching DUI statutes, you should probably take the SEC position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:24 pm

I'm a 1L at a T10 who only applied to judges.

Applied to many different federal and state judges without grades, but not until mid January. Got 3 state judge callbacks, but only wound up getting 1 interview and an offer from it. I accepted that judge. 1 judge never returned calls to schedule an interview, and another one scheduled an interview but filled the position before my interview date - at least the third one came through. I got nothing from federal judges other than some grade requests and no-follow up. Grades were probably around top 25%, but we don't have official rankings.

For anyone planning to apply to judges in the future, make sure you apply early and to a lot of judges (including different courts and levels). You never know what will happen.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at a T10 who only applied to judges.

Applied to many different federal and state judges without grades, but not until mid January. Got 3 state judge callbacks, but only wound up getting 1 interview and an offer from it. I accepted that judge. 1 judge never returned calls to schedule an interview, and another one scheduled an interview but filled the position before my interview date - at least the third one came through. I got nothing from federal judges other than some grade requests and no-follow up. Grades were probably around top 25%, but we don't have official rankings.

For anyone planning to apply to judges in the future, make sure you apply early and to a lot of judges (including different courts and levels). You never know what will happen.
Case in point: I'm also a 1L with top 25% grades at a T10, applied mid-December to around 70 judges (federal appellate, federal district court, state supreme, state appellate, federal bankruptcy). Got 7 invitations to interview and 5 offers. Only one judge waited to see all my grades before extending the offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:03 am

Sorry! Wrong Thread!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:13 am

3.4GPA at T20, sent apps before Jan. 4th (without grades) to every federal judge in CA with the exception of N.D. Cal (N.D.Cal judges won't look at apps without grades). Sent apps with grades to every federal judge in N.D.Cal on Feb. 2nd. I believe 200+ total.

Got 12 phone interviews over the past month. Accepted 1st offer with 9th Cir. CoA judge partly because I agree with his opinions, partly because his name is well known.

I believe the only reason I got interviews was because of my work experience...in fact I think 3 or 4 judges explicitly told me that's why they decided to interview me.

Interviews were all "where did you grow up?", "how do you like law school?", etc. And I don't think they even cared how you answered, they just wanted to make sure you could carry on a conversation, aka you weren't a stiff or an asshole.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:HYS URM. No job yet. :( But working on something that seems promising. :wink:
Sorry, but this adds absolutely nothing ... the title of the thread is "1L job offers for the summer 2010" and not "Job prospects for HYS URM who are 'working on something.'"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:18 am

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Top 10, very good grades...no news. Limbo-land.
Wait, did you not read the post immediately above?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”