1L job offers for summer 2010 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: 1L job offers for summer 2010

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:22 am

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:23 am

Last edited by deathviaboredom on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:02 am

deathviaboredom wrote:
legends159 wrote:RA position is actually a pretty sweet gig i think. You could get a potential LOR and maybe do some side research for a law review note.
How do you go about securing this position? Do they ask you or do you ask them? Do you need to get an A in their class?
i'm not sure but I would imagine you should ask the ones in which that you did well in.

Matlock31

New

Post by Matlock31 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:09 am

When calling Judges to ask if they are hiring for 1L summer clerkship do you ask directly for the Judge? Just trying to get a heads-up for what to expect. Is there some sort of gatekeeper? If so, should I just tell them I'm inquiring about summer clerkships w/ Judge X?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:17 am

Matlock31 wrote:When calling Judges to ask if they are hiring for 1L summer clerkship do you ask directly for the Judge? Just trying to get a heads-up for what to expect. Is there some sort of gatekeeper? If so, should I just tell them I'm inquiring about summer clerkships w/ Judge X?
When you call a judge's office, his secretary typically answers. Tell her what you are calling about and she will either tell you herself (if she knows), or transfer you to one of the clerks.

I would not ask directly for the judge. If the secretary transfers your call to him/her, then fine, but you want to avoid the perception that you are bothering the judge with questions that could easily be answered by someone else (I'm sure they get a dozen calls a week on this topic).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:41 am

thesealocust wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:
legends159 wrote:RA position is actually a pretty sweet gig i think. You could get a potential LOR and maybe do some side research for a law review note.
How do you go about securing this position? Do they ask you or do you ask them? Do you need to get an A in their class?
You ask them. Some professors will prefer a good grade in their class, others actively don't care. Keep in mind that there are many more law professors than there are law professors teaching 1L courses, and they all likely need summer help.
This probably varies a lot by professor and maybe even by school. I was asked by a professor whose class I had the top exam in. He asked one other person from another class, and did not want any more RA's. Earlier last semester, I asked one of my other professors how it works and he told me that professors will ask you if they want you. At the same time, I've seen lots of people reporting that they got RA jobs by asking, sometimes even for professors who never taught them. I would just go ahead and ask, even if you got a C in the class. I don't think anyone will hold it against you that you were interested in their work.

Also, do not feel like you necessarily have to choose between an RA job and working somewhere over the summer. I'm being allowed to schedule my RA duties flexibly around my full-time summer job and to RA during the school year. That way you can get the benefits of being an RA (LOR, research experience, pay) without sacrificing your summer. Ask your professor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:17 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:TX law school. Sent 5 letters on Dec. 1. Probably best decision I made.

2 Federal judicial internships -- interviewed for 1, got 1; after summer was already planned received offer from other, had to respectuflly decline

1 large city DA's office -- 1 interview, 1 offer, declined (would have taken up most of the summer)

1 state appellate court judicial internship -- offer given via e-mail (judge is alum from school)

1 civil district court judicial internship -- silence?

4 offers, 1 ???? -- split summer with 1 federal judicial internship, 1 state appellate court judicial internship; declined DA, declined federal judicial internship, silence from other big-city civil district judge
what were your grades like?
This was my post. None asked for grades. I did well lets just say it was top half at minimum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote: This was my post. None asked for grades. I did well lets just say it was top half at minimum.
I don't know that saying top half at minimum is enough to qualify as "doing well."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:
You ask them. Some professors will prefer a good grade in their class, others actively don't care. Keep in mind that there are many more law professors than there are law professors teaching 1L courses, and they all likely need summer help.
This probably varies a lot by professor and maybe even by school. I was asked by a professor whose class I had the top exam in. He asked one other person from another class, and did not want any more RA's. Earlier last semester, I asked one of my other professors how it works and he told me that professors will ask you if they want you. At the same time, I've seen lots of people reporting that they got RA jobs by asking, sometimes even for professors who never taught them. I would just go ahead and ask, even if you got a C in the class. I don't think anyone will hold it against you that you were interested in their work.

Also, do not feel like you necessarily have to choose between an RA job and working somewhere over the summer. I'm being allowed to schedule my RA duties flexibly around my full-time summer job and to RA during the school year. That way you can get the benefits of being an RA (LOR, research experience, pay) without sacrificing your summer. Ask your professor.
I got an RA position by making good comments in class. It can actually matter sometimes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:54 pm

HYS 1L here. Got a sweet gig this summer with a V10 firm. It pays 25K. :shock:

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:15 am

T2 1L T20%
Applied to
3 Federal judges -- applied recently
2 corporate/GC positions -- silence
10 large firms -- 1 denial of interview, rest silent
All apps. went out w/in past three weeks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:31 am

cornell 1L. internship with a small firm in NYC...

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:54 pm

any 1Ls land an internship with a federal judge? if so, school and rank?

any idea when they usually make offers?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:51 pm

sanpiero wrote:any 1Ls land an internship with a federal judge? if so, school and rank?

CLS 1L. Landed an internship with a federal judge in January. Received my offer w/o grades. Some judges (as mine did) fill their spots before grades come out. Other judges wait until after grade are out - some of the judges I applied to expressly told me that they wait for your first semester grades before making offers.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:56 am

1L - Fordham - Top 10% - Interning with Judge in the SDNY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:06 am

sanpiero wrote:any 1Ls land an internship with a federal judge? if so, school and rank?

Boalt. Did well but not stellar in the "gradeless" grading system. Not that it mattered. My judge was done selecting by Christmas. N.D. Cal required grades before applying, but some classmates have already interviewed; one I know of was selected.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:15 am

same here. i'm a 1L at duke. received the offer about a week ago prior to grade release.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:HYS 1L here. Got a sweet gig this summer with a V10 firm. It pays 25K. :shock:
How did you go about getting this job? Connections? URM?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:56 am

I did a mass mailing to all the federal judges in the district I was aiming for(25 in total). I sent these packets out relatively late(late January). I got 4 calls for an interview; any judge that called me in for an interview called within 4 or 5 days of when I mailed out the packets. Didn't hear anything from the others. Got an offer on the spot with the first judge I interviewed with and had to respectfully cancel the rest. I am #1 at a T2.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:44 pm

MVP, top 10% 1L here, and I have an internship with a 4th circuit CoA judge. I put in approximately 50 letters to judges over winter break; I've heard from about 1/3 of them... most of them saying "we're not hiring," some have said "we've already filled the position." I think a good chunk of them have not yet made their decisions, but I would get moving if you want to apply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:09 pm

CCN 1L, top 50% but not top 33%, got an offer from a 2nd circuit judge around new years - interviewed without grades.

If you want an internship I'd get stuff out now - my impression is that the judge hiring cycle is almost over.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Received an offer from a NALP 250 firm in St. Louis, but am really hoping that a couple SEC interviews turn into offers in the coming weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:24 pm

Received offers from 1 Federal Judge, the State Attorney General's Office where my school is located, a national civil rights organization with no real "internship program," (I'd be working directly under one specific attorney) and the largest pro bono legal services organization in the region. As my first priority is receiving direct client representation/advocacy experience this summer (my ideal job upon graduation is a Public Defender position), I chose the legal services organization. While some of the other options may have been more "prestigious," I am confident that I will have an amazing experience this summer doing work which I genuinely care about.

T20 school, grades in top 5%.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:26 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Received an offer from a NALP 250 firm in St. Louis, but am really hoping that a couple SEC interviews turn into offers in the coming weeks.
If nothing else works out, I plan to take part in one my schools clinics (possibly w/r/t investor protection or small business) for credit as well as 2-3 other courses.

scubagirl

New

Post by scubagirl » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:48 pm

which SEC branches have you heard from? D.C.?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”