1L job offers for summer 2010 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Re: 1L job offers for summer 2010

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Just got offered an unpaid position at the Dept. of the Interior for the 2nd half of the summer. Now hopefully something comes through for the first half.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:17 pm

1L at Southwestern

SEC Summer Honors Law Program in Washington DC

Federal Magistrate Judge internship in the fall
Last edited by Danteshek on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Will be working at a small firm in Orange County, Ca. Had a connection.

I applied to around 20 in-house general counsel positions. Only got one interview from those, withdrew before a decision.

Needless to say - the California market is ROUGH! I have a few friends at my current school (far away from California, T30) and they are having zero luck. Many of my friends going to local school are also having close to no luck.

Hopefully our 2L search is more successful . . .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:54 pm

1L at a top ten. I'll be splitting my summer between two government offices - my local city attorney's office and the state ag's office. I only applied to about 10 different places, several of which never responded to my emails to even acknowledge they received my applications (when they say "email applications preferred" I would think that they should respond to emails, but whatever). These were the two I really wanted, so I'm lucky to get to do both. I had two interviews, but one was with a place who rejected me because I had an absolutely terrible interview. It was horrific. One of the places I was accepted didn't do interviews, and the other I had a great interview. I don't know what happened in the terrible one, but maybe I was subconsciously sabotaging it because I didn't want to work in that state all summer anyway :)

I started getting desperate about a month ago because I hadn't heard anything so I emailed a bunch of legal aid bureaus, and received no response. You know it's a tough market when places don't even want to let you come and work for free! I definitely should have applied to more places, but I didn't want to apply to places I didn't want to work at, or waste time applying for prestigious jobs I knew I wouldn't get anyway. Obviously that was really stupid, and so my advice to anyone who is reading this to prepare for next year is this: apply to everything. Don't count on the prestige of your school to get you a job, or your grades, or anything. The more applications, the greater the odds that someone, somewhere, will bite. And please follow up with phone calls if they won't respond to your emails - I never did that and I could have easily sent hard copies if I hadn't been being stupid. The real take home message is don't be stupid :)

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Was offered an internship with DA's office just now. Since I've already accepted an offer for the second half of the summer I had to send a reply email asking if they'd take me on for just the first half. I really hope they allow that. I wanted to work at the DA's office from the start and if my accepting a position for the second half keeps me from working some place I wanted all along I'll be pissed. It was just getting too late and I had to accept a position so that I knew I had something planned for the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:57 pm

from a tier 3 school. got a 1L paid clerkship at the public defender's office at the busiest metro judicial district in the state. only one paid 1L summer clerkship per/ judicial district. extremely competitive (over 145 applicants), beat out the tier 1 applicants for the best judicial district.

also have a work study research assistant position with a prof at school

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:from a tier 3 school. got a 1L paid clerkship at the public defender's office at the busiest metro judicial district in the state. only one paid 1L summer clerkship per/ judicial district. extremely competitive (over 145 applicants), beat out the tier 1 applicants for the best judicial district.

This is very very very good news. You must be very proud. Great job compensating! Excellent!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:from a tier 3 school. got a 1L paid clerkship at the public defender's office at the busiest metro judicial district in the state. only one paid 1L summer clerkship per/ judicial district. extremely competitive (over 145 applicants), beat out the tier 1 applicants for the best judicial district.

This is very very very good news. You must be very proud. Great job compensating! Excellent!
job compensating??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:

job compensating??
Yeah, what is meant by "compensating"?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

are you kidding? it's a great position and working at the PD's office is very competitive, at least where I'm from. I'll get more in court time than anyone one at a biglaw firm and it's more interesting than working at a mid-level firm for free over the summer. gosh.

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

are you kidding? it's a great position and working at the PD's office is very competitive, at least where I'm from. I'll get more in court time than anyone one at a biglaw firm and it's more interesting than working at a mid-level firm for free over the summer. gosh.
Edit: It is a great position! Congrats! Good luck and have fun! Please ignore my prior post.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:00 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:26 pm

Phew, made my school's PI funding deadline by a mere 22 hours. Nothing like cutting it close.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:27 pm

Why anonymous?

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:40 pm

sanpiero wrote:Why anonymous?
Accidental

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:22 am

IL at a mid-Tier 1 school. I'm doing research for a professor over the summer. Actually excited about it. I know that a lot of people see RA work as a last resort, but the professor works in exactly the area I'm interested in, will probably be my advisor on my LR note next year (pending me getting on LR), and is definitely the type to go to bat for me as a recommender later (for clerkships and such). Plus I like my law school/general area and will enjoy living here over the summer.

For anyone who wants a RA job, I recommend finding a professor who does research in your area of interest and approaching them directly. They'll appreciate it if you can speak enthusiastically about their area of research and genuine interest will show through. Don't confine yourself to 1L profs, but if you do approach a prof you had a class with, you should have gotten an A or A-.

FWIW, I am top 10% and very involved at the school. I don't know how much that factored into the hiring process.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Awesome. I'm a 1L and splitting the summer with the DA's Office and the Dept. of the Int. In a tough economy I feel very fortunate and lucky to have gotten these internships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:57 pm

T50/T1 here, top 5%-top 10% (not sure of exact ranking) -- will be working for a state appellate judge. Pretty psyched.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”