Advice on the Denver market?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chrismoscoe

Advice on the Denver market?

Postby chrismoscoe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:37 pm

There was a great post in Sept. regarding the Seattle market. Can anyone discuss the Denver market? I am a 1L and attending a LS ranked in the 20's outside of Colorado with ties to the area.

Kretzy

Re: Advice on the Denver market?

Postby Kretzy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:44 pm

chrismoscoe wrote:There was a great post in Sept. regarding the Seattle market. Can anyone discuss the Denver market? I am a 1L and attending a LS ranked in the 20's outside of Colorado with ties to the area.

I worked and lived in Denver, and it's where I'd eventually like to practice.

The general gist is that outside HYSCCN, Boulder, and DU, it's very difficult to break into Denver without ties to the area and/or very good numbers. It's a pretty insular market; Colorado graduates do very well there, as do DU grads. I knew a lot of HYS grads from the work I was doing in public policy who were at smaller firms and/or worked in policy. They were vastly outnumbered by DU and CU grads though (about an even disbursement of each, but DU has double the class size).

I'm sure Matthies or someone else who has done the legwork in the Denver market could better answer this, but this is my impression as an 0L. It could be horribly off base.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Kretzy wrote:
chrismoscoe wrote:There was a great post in Sept. regarding the Seattle market. Can anyone discuss the Denver market? I am a 1L and attending a LS ranked in the 20's outside of Colorado with ties to the area.

I worked and lived in Denver, and it's where I'd eventually like to practice.

The general gist is that outside HYSCCN, Boulder, and DU, it's very difficult to break into Denver without ties to the area and/or very good numbers. It's a pretty insular market; Colorado graduates do very well there, as do DU grads. I knew a lot of HYS grads from the work I was doing in public policy who were at smaller firms and/or worked in policy. They were vastly outnumbered by DU and CU grads though (about an even disbursement of each, but DU has double the class size).

I'm sure Matthies or someone else who has done the legwork in the Denver market could better answer this, but this is my impression as an 0L. It could be horribly off base.

How are ties going to matter less if you go to HYSCCN? There probably won't be much difference between these schools and MVPBDCNG.

T14 + ties (ideally, YHS + ties) is going to be your best ticket into the Denver market, I think. That, or going to CU or DU and gunning the heck out of the place and being in the tippy top of your class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:47 pm

T10 1L, also interested in the denver market; basically zero firms on NALP list 1l programs. Any ideas for a source to research non-nalp Denver firms that may have 1l summer internships?

Return to “Legal Employment”