1L Job offer/outstanding applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:57 pm

I received my first job offer today from a public interest organization that I am very interested in working at. It's a great organization, and probably my top choice for public interest.

However, I have many outstanding applications at law firms, including at least 5 that I would work at over this PI job that I am cautiously optimistic about (4 diversity programs, and 1 firm I received a call from who, after a 20 minute "interview," said he really liked me and would see what he can do with regards to hiring).

I should hear from all of those firms some time in February.

The job offer I received today didn't have a deadline, but was "as soon as possible because there are other applications."

How should I play my cards?

On the one hand, I don't want to accept this job and then get one of the positions that I have ranked above it.

On the other hand, I don't want to turn this job down and end up empty handed if the other opportunities don't pan out.

I'm unsure of the proper protocol. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: FWIW, I'm HYS, but coming straight through and have a pretty weak resume.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby bigben » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:24 pm

So hys urm? If I were you I would want to see how the paying gigs pan out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:29 pm

bigben wrote:So hys urm? If I were you I would want to see how the paying gigs pan out.


Part of the problem is it's awkward to bring up my URM status unless it's a diversity program.

That's why I'm very curious about the diversity programs and how they pan out.

But if they don't pan out, I don't want to be left behind.

Would it be bad form to contact these firms?

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Part of the problem is it's awkward to bring up my URM status unless it's a diversity program.
You can strongly signal URM status on your resume by listing membership in the appropriate UG and/or law school clubs if you belonged to them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:44 pm

Blew my anonymous cover for a second. If you caught that, don't out me, please.

I have one "affinity" organization listed.

But are my only options to take the job or not take the job without knowing the other results?

Is contacting the firms bad protocol?

I know taking the job and changing my mind would be.

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Blew my anonymous cover for a second. If you caught that, don't out me, please.

I have one "affinity" organization listed.

But are my only options to take the job or not take the job without knowing the other results?

Is contacting the firms bad protocol?

I know taking the job and changing my mind would be.

IMO contacting firms to tell them you have another offer is bad protocol (maybe others w/more experience disagree?). However, if you sent letters 2+ weeks ago, it is perfectly OK to call firms to check in and verify that they got your materials & have processed them. Sometimes the recruiting people will tell you at that point if you're wasting your time or not (like if they're not hiring 1L's or at all that year). If the person on the phone seems friendly you may want to gently prod them for more info.

Also, the specific affinity group you mentioned may not, by itself, be a sufficiently strong signal of URM status. I think you should list at least 2, including a LS one (e.g. BLSA, LLSA) if you belong.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Blew my anonymous cover for a second. If you caught that, don't out me, please.

I have one "affinity" organization listed.

But are my only options to take the job or not take the job without knowing the other results?

Is contacting the firms bad protocol?

I know taking the job and changing my mind would be.

IMO contacting firms to tell them you have another offer is bad protocol (maybe others w/more experience disagree?). However, if you sent letters 2+ weeks ago, it is perfectly OK to call firms to check in and verify that they got your materials & have processed them. Sometimes the recruiting people will tell you at that point if you're wasting your time or not (like if they're not hiring 1L's or at all that year). If the person on the phone seems friendly you may want to gently prod them for more info.

Also, the specific affinity group you mentioned may not, by itself, be a sufficiently strong signal of URM status. I think you should list at least 2, including a LS one (e.g. BLSA, LLSA) if you belong.



Appreciate the advice. I followed up with the diversity firms and they all said they received and I'd hear in February. I have reason to believe I have a strong chance at at least one of the firms.

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Appreciate the advice. I followed up with the diversity firms and they all said they received and I'd hear in February. I have reason to believe I have a strong chance at at least one of the firms.
Good. Sounds like you have a decent shot. Honestly, taking/not taking the job will just depend on your personal risk tolerance. In your position, I'd wait to hear from firms first. I'm in a position that is somewhat similar (decent shot at a firm gig, but by no means a certainty) and I'm waiting to see what happens w/firms before applying elsewhere.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:20 am

Hey guys, OP here --

I let a couple of the firms know about my job offer (I also received an extension on the job offer deadline from "end of this week" to the 29th).

One of them wants to talk with me about my interest in their firm and the offer. I'm assuming they're going to ask me specifics about my job offer, such as who it is with.

For some reason, I don't feel comfortable answering that question. Am I under a duty to answer it? If not, what is a polite way to not answer it?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, OP here --

I let a couple of the firms know about my job offer (I also received an extension on the job offer deadline from "end of this week" to the 29th).

One of them wants to talk with me about my interest in their firm and the offer. I'm assuming they're going to ask me specifics about my job offer, such as who it is with.

For some reason, I don't feel comfortable answering that question. Am I under a duty to answer it? If not, what is a polite way to not answer it?

It is perfectly acceptable for your to tell other employers about the offer. In fact, I've had 2 interviews where they specifically asked me to call them if I received another offer before they made a decision. They know you are applying many places.

I'm not sure why you are reluctant to talk about the offer with another employer. You don't have a "duty" to answer it, but it would seem really strange not to, and will likely result in the interviewer assuming you are not being honest. Think of a believable reason why you prefer X to Y, and tell them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 am

I know some 1Ls at HYS who have gotten firm offers for the summer. I think that there are a couple of questions relevant to the OP's initial problem: is this public interest funded? If not, do you have some sort of funding for the summer (e.g. YLS offers somewhere around 500/week for their students to work in public interest over the summer)? Moreover, are you getting need-based aid that would be undercut by working for a firm 1L summer (I know SLS and YLS are quite generous with need aid, but you essentially lose the vast majority of it if you work biglaw for a summer)?

I guess I'm trying to get at whether there is some compelling reason for you to work for a firm. For 1L it doesn't really matter what you do, and you'll probably never get another opportunity to work for [insert organization].

The answer to that question will dictate how worth it it would be for you to sit on the current offer and wait on the firms. The current job situation is really tight, and while HYS students are generally pretty safe, as you say you don't want to be going into March wondering whether you'll have a job.

Hope that helps in some way....I don't think it would be out of line to contact the diversity programs and tell them that you need to make the decision; at the same time, I wouldn't pass by summer offers for the prospect of firm jobs unless you really need the money. You'll be working for a firm next summer anyway, and the only real way you can lose bigtime this summer would be if you ended up with nothing and having to do something like being a RA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know some 1Ls at HYS who have gotten firm offers for the summer. I think that there are a couple of questions relevant to the OP's initial problem: is this public interest funded? If not, do you have some sort of funding for the summer (e.g. YLS offers somewhere around 500/week for their students to work in public interest over the summer)? Moreover, are you getting need-based aid that would be undercut by working for a firm 1L summer (I know SLS and YLS are quite generous with need aid, but you essentially lose the vast majority of it if you work biglaw for a summer)?

I guess I'm trying to get at whether there is some compelling reason for you to work for a firm. For 1L it doesn't really matter what you do, and you'll probably never get another opportunity to work for [insert organization].

The answer to that question will dictate how worth it it would be for you to sit on the current offer and wait on the firms. The current job situation is really tight, and while HYS students are generally pretty safe, as you say you don't want to be going into March wondering whether you'll have a job.

Hope that helps in some way....I don't think it would be out of line to contact the diversity programs and tell them that you need to make the decision; at the same time, I wouldn't pass by summer offers for the prospect of firm jobs unless you really need the money. You'll be working for a firm next summer anyway, and the only real way you can lose bigtime this summer would be if you ended up with nothing and having to do something like being a RA.


Thanks for this.

My reasons for wanting to work for a firm are roughly:

1. Money. I still have to pay rent in my apartment this summer (I can't sublet). Furthermore, our summer funding from the school certainly can't cover living in NYC where this job is located. I'd have to commute 3 hours each day (1.5 hours each way).

2. Experience. I know you say I'd be working for a firm at graduation, but maybe not. If I work for a firm this summer and absolutely hate it, I can look for other opportunities during my 2L year and/or for a career.

3. My early career plan is to eventually try to work for a litigation boutique. As in #2, I want to get some experience doing that this summer, and if I don't like it, I can adjust my future career plan accordingly (which classes I take, clinics I join, etc).

I'm not sure why you are reluctant to talk about the offer with another employer. You don't have a "duty" to answer it, but it would seem really strange not to, and will likely result in the interviewer assuming you are not being honest. Think of a believable reason why you prefer X to Y, and tell them.


My reluctance is mostly strategic, I guess. I just informed them I had an offer, but not the nature. Their automatic assumption is probably that it's a firm (aka, one of their competitors). They probably wouldn't care much about a PI job.

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Aeroplane » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:49 am

Sounds like maybe I was mistaken and letting firms know about your offer might've been a good way to go. That's helpful to know going forward. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Hey guys --

One of the firms called me today and asked about the offer. They said they didn't know if they could expedite their process, and their interviews weren't supposed to take place until mid-February.

However, they asked me to come in for an interview/get-to-know-the-firm session in two weeks. They said we'll go from there and see whether it turns into something for this summer or perhaps the future.

Another firm told me they couldn't expedite the process since their application deadline hasn't passed and everyone should have a fair opportunity, but that I should keep them posted.

So, letting firms know about other job offers can apparently help.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273598
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Another HYS-er in a similar position. just got a good PI job and there's school summer funding but a firm job might be nice for the pay and to find out how bad biglaw really is as soon as possible (i'm curious like that). have got some "we like your resume we'll let you know in a bit if we wanna interview you" responses and have had 1 interview w/my dream summerjob. how did you go about notifying them? email? call? the PI offer has a deadline of less than a week, which puts me in a tight spot, but idk if they'll extend.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 1L Job offer/outstanding applications

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Another HYS-er in a similar position. just got a good PI job and there's school summer funding but a firm job might be nice for the pay and to find out how bad biglaw really is as soon as possible (i'm curious like that). have got some "we like your resume we'll let you know in a bit if we wanna interview you" responses and have had 1 interview w/my dream summerjob. how did you go about notifying them? email? call? the PI offer has a deadline of less than a week, which puts me in a tight spot, but idk if they'll extend.


I would just go ahead and ask them for an extension. Sounds like the job is not one of your top choices, I think it would be reasonable to allow your options a bit of time to play out. However, don't bank on the "we will let you know if we wanna interview you." From my experience this year, if a firm really want to recruit you, they call you and ask you what day this week can you come in. It's a buyers market for 1Ls, I don't really know if a lukewarm response would likely materialize.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.