Big City Law Jobs with liveable hours? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Confus3d

New

Re: Big City Law Jobs with liveable hours?

Post by Confus3d » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:36 am

A'nold wrote:A'nold's stance: those who claim to work 100 hours a week on average are overexaggerating. Period. I don't care what kind of "evidence" shows up on here. :)
For what it's worth, prior to 2003(?) when they passed work-hour restrictions, medical residents frequently worked 100 hours or more per week. This included overnight and on-call shifts. This was for ~$40k per year also. Residents now work 80 hours per week for about the same amount of money.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Confus3d wrote:
A'nold wrote:A'nold's stance: those who claim to work 100 hours a week on average are overexaggerating. Period. I don't care what kind of "evidence" shows up on here. :)
For what it's worth, prior to 2003(?) when they passed work-hour restrictions, medical residents frequently worked 100 hours or more per week. This included overnight and on-call shifts. This was for ~$40k per year also. Residents now work 80 hours per week for about the same amount of money.
a'nold can't hear youuuuu

LALALALALALALA :hands over ears:
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Renzo wrote:
Series70 wrote:^ Hey, I mean, whatever works for you. Honestly, if you spend your free time watching TV, then you might as well stay at the office and at least get paid for it. Personally, when I go to bed at night, what I regret most is not having spent enough time with my wife. I imagine it'll be the same when I croak in 50 years or so. There's never enough time for that. Ma io sono romantico.
I love my family, and I enjoy spending time with them, but there is only so much my wife and I have to talk about in any given day. After that, it's mostly staring at each other.

well as long as she is buck naked, that's ok. You also don't have to just talk. You can do things like watch a movie, go for ice cream, whatever. But if you are gonna stare at each other, you might as well do it naked.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Confus3d wrote:
Yes, but overnight and on-calls often allow some amount of sleep during the shift (even if it's never a full night's rest). Similarly, firefighters sometimes "work" (if you can even call it that) 72 hours in a row, but you cannot compare any job that supplies a bed to any job that does not. A'nold is right when you only count non-bed supplying jobs.

Confus3d

New

Post by Confus3d » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Renzo wrote:
Confus3d wrote:
Yes, but overnight and on-calls often allow some amount of sleep during the shift (even if it's never a full night's rest). Similarly, firefighters sometimes "work" (if you can even call it that) 72 hours in a row, but you cannot compare any job that supplies a bed to any job that does not. A'nold is right when you only count non-bed supplying jobs.
Wrong. Overnight shifts (called "night-float") are just that: overnight shifts. Instead of working during the day, the night-float team works at night and are not allowed beds. You're confusing overnight SHIFTS with overnight CALL. Those on call are allowed access to the residents "call-room" which does have beds. Depending on the rotation, that bed will often times be entirely unused. Residents are also legally allowed to work up to 30 hr shifts without any breaks before they are required to go home. I don't believe you'll find many other professional careers with these type of working conditions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:29 am

Anybody have any insight into other big city law jobs with livable hours?

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:58 am

Bumping this in hopes of getting more insight.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:26 am

Core wrote:Bumping this in hopes of getting more insight.
WORKING FOR THE GOVERNMENT

Now stop resurrecting this thread.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:02 am

Renzo wrote:
Core wrote:Bumping this in hopes of getting more insight.
WORKING FOR THE GOVERNMENT

Now stop resurrecting this thread.
LMAO

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”