Judicial Externship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tome

Judicial Externship

Postby tome » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Is there anyone one on here who has actually had a judicial externship that would be willing to give an account of exactly what is involved. Generally anything you wish you had known going in that could have enhanced the experience?

Anonymous User

Re: Judicial Externship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:50 pm

It really depends on your judge. I spent a lot of time as an extern handling routine pro se matters. But I know other externs whose duties were indistinguishable from those of a law clerk.

As far as preparation goes, you might want to read a nutshell guide to immigration law (particularly if you're externing in the 9th or 2d Cirs), review your Civ Pro notes, and maybe look over the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act if you're unfamiliar with it. (AEDPA will likely come up at least once during your externship.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:14 pm

I have not actually done an externship yet, but will be doing one this summer with a federal appelate judge. I was basically told I would be like a clerk, but handle fewer cases. So basically, I would read the briefs, do some research, write a bench memo, and present it to the judge. Then after the judges conferred and made their decision, my judge would outline what he wanted in an opinon, and I would go write it. The big difference is I would handle 1 or 2 cases for the entire summer, whereas the clerks typically handle many more at a time.

Naturally throughout this whole process my work would be supervised by a clerk, but I was told the purpose was more to check that my work was satisfactory, rather than to micromanage and give specific directions.

They said there would be some ad-hoc research and admin work involved, but the impression I got was that most of my time would be spent on actual cases.

I'd echo the previous poster in saying that it varies greatly from chamber to chamber. I know in some other chambers (mostly district) the interns handle all the immigration and social security cases (supposedly boring and tedious).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Did one at a state appellate court and will not specify further.

I was essentially a clerk and I hit the ground running. All the training I got consisted of the style manual the court used for intra office stuff. Read the briefs, draft the memo/decision. Beyond that, I was pretty independent and could put in my hours whenever, wherever unless I needed specific filings at the office (like the official record). Overall, it was really awesome and they ultimately used a lot of my stuff (after verifying it, of course).

Return to “Legal Employment”