extending an offer deadline

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

extending an offer deadline

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:00 pm

SITUATION:

I have been offered a position with a judge over the summer. I would have to relocate to fulfill this internship. I am not opposed to relocating as I am appreciciative for the opportunity, but I would like to see if other closer offers are presented which would allow me to stay close to home to save money. (The position would be unpaid and a flat rate grant is provided by my school for all public interest work regardless of expenses like relocation costs.)

QUESTIONS:

How can I communicate my gratitude while buying time to allow other responses to arrive?

Should I just accept as quickly as possible?

How have others dealt with similar circumstances?

Thanks

gollymolly

Re: extending an offer deadline

Postby gollymolly » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:15 pm

OP here

I have heard the same but since I recieved it near the weekend I may wait until monday to respond.

Anyone else wanna weigh in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:17 pm

I just really want to save as much money as possible since the grant is small and many posters have said that 1L summer work is pretty worthless except a conversation topic during OCI.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:18 pm

I don't understand why you would apply to a judicial internship with a judge if you did not really want to work with that judge.

You should have just applied to all of the federal and state judges near home and that's it.

It's not as though I don't understand how you feel -

this is part of the reason why I'm not particularly interested in a judicial internship

- but you knew this outcome was a possibility when you applied.

You really should accept it.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't risk turning it down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:38 pm

OP again.

In the response, the Judge asked if I had applied to other Judges in my area (which I did), but none have responded yet. The Judge seemed very nice and accommodating and I think the Judge wants me to try to find one closer as the Judge knows it is an unpaid gig.

I would definitely accept this position, sorry I was not clear, I am just asking if there is any way that I can stall until the other offers come in. I am very excited about starting and am sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I most definitely want to intern for this Judge, I am just concerned about how much money I am borrowing.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:01 am

The conventional wisdom is still never turn down a judge. I know you don't like that advice, but I doubt anyone is going to give you any different advice. I feel your pain, and the judge might understand, but no one is going to tell you to risk it and say no.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:13 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:21 pm

This thread is why you schedule your interviews so the ones that appeal to you the most come first. Unfortunately, it isn't always possible.

Return to “Legal Employment”