1L job options

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KentuckyFried
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:20 pm

1L job options

Postby KentuckyFried » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:21 am

As more and more federal judicial internship rejections pour in, I am beginning to question whether I will be able to secure a position for this summer. I would like to wait until after all the rejections return before I begin sending out my next round of applications and am trying to determine in what legal field I should apply.

So far I have:

1) small area firms and mid sized firms (I know my app should have already been out but I am still waiting on a few of my grades)

2) research assistant for profs

3) state judges.

Are there any other fields besides the obvious which other posters have applied to which would result in good letters of recommendation or helful connections which would be beneficial down the road in securing a job at a firm?

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: 1L job options

Postby Aeroplane » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:21 am

In-house legal depts

ANON3333
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:13 am

Re: 1L job options

Postby ANON3333 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:00 am

Aeroplane wrote:In-house legal depts

are these published on NALP or symplicity? I haven't seen many of these. Generally, how big should an in house department be to support a summer position?

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: 1L job options

Postby Aeroplane » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:13 am

ANON3333 wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:In-house legal depts

are these published on NALP or symplicity? I haven't seen many of these. Generally, how big should an in house department be to support a summer position?
I don't think so. My school (UMich) has a list of them at the Career Services Office. I don't know how big it should be, but I'd guess that the HQ of a large company should certainly support at least a few summer positions.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: 1L job options

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:22 am

Have you begun looking into any of the gov't agencies or even state agencies for that matter. Although most are now unpaid, it would be good legal experience, nonetheless, should nothing else come through.

As for small / mid-size firm applications, you might just send out cover letters / resume and inform them that you will update them with grades once received.

ANON3333
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:13 am

Re: 1L job options

Postby ANON3333 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:19 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Have you begun looking into any of the gov't agencies or even state agencies for that matter. Although most are now unpaid, it would be good legal experience, nonetheless, should nothing else come through.

As for small / mid-size firm applications, you might just send out cover letters / resume and inform them that you will update them with grades once received.

thanks chad, I have been doing this. grats on ur offers so far. could you share the region and if your W/E was a factor?

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: 1L job options

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:32 pm

ANON3333 wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:Have you begun looking into any of the gov't agencies or even state agencies for that matter. Although most are now unpaid, it would be good legal experience, nonetheless, should nothing else come through.

As for small / mid-size firm applications, you might just send out cover letters / resume and inform them that you will update them with grades once received.

thanks chad, I have been doing this. grats on ur offers so far. could you share the region and if your W/E was a factor?


Well, I only have one actual offer on the table, but a couple of interviews coming up. Although I attend school in Chicago, the interest is coming more from mid-market firms in the midwest, but outside of Chicago. I think attending a school that is ranked quite a bit higher than the schools that these firms typically rely on plus 5-year of WE seems to be the biggest difference thus far.

ANON3333
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:13 am

Re: 1L job options

Postby ANON3333 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:35 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
ANON3333 wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:Have you begun looking into any of the gov't agencies or even state agencies for that matter. Although most are now unpaid, it would be good legal experience, nonetheless, should nothing else come through.

As for small / mid-size firm applications, you might just send out cover letters / resume and inform them that you will update them with grades once received.

thanks chad, I have been doing this. grats on ur offers so far. could you share the region and if your W/E was a factor?


Well, I only have one actual offer on the table, but a couple of interviews coming up. Although I attend school in Chicago, the interest is coming more from mid-market firms in the midwest, but outside of Chicago. I think attending a school that is ranked quite a bit higher than the schools that these firms typically rely on plus 5-year of WE seems to be the biggest difference thus far.

yeah, I'm using a similiar strategy, although I was only targeting m secondary market search to places I have lived. Do u have significant ties to the market where you were offered?

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: 1L job options

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:42 pm

ANON3333 wrote:yeah, I'm using a similiar strategy, although I was only targeting m secondary market search to places I have lived. Do u have significant ties to the market where you were offered?


Yeah, I grew up there and attended undergrad nearby.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.