New York City Law Department Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Fuser

New

New York City Law Department

Post by Fuser » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Does anyone know anything about how difficult it is to get hired at The New York City Law Department? From what I read they only hire about 30 grads a year, mostly in family court or torts, but is it as competitive as say Manhattan DA? Anyone do their summer honors program?

vamedic03

Gold

Re: New York City Law Department

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Fuser wrote:Does anyone know anything about how difficult it is to get hired at the New York City Law Department? From what I read they only hire about 30 grads a year, mostly in family court or torts, but is it as competitive as say Manhattan DA? Anyone do their summer honors program?
According to the Government Honors & Internship handbook - its more competitive - approximately 3000 applications / year for 50 honors program slots v. 1500 / year for Manhattan DA internship program

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:21 pm

Very competitive, it seems, at least for 1Ls. Of the two 2Ls I know who did it last summer (from Columbia), one is now LR and the other is a Stone Scholar (top 30%).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:02 pm

The NYC law department is extraordinarily competitive. The biggest selling point is that it is one of the only government programs in the nation that work like biglaw hiring--eg, you do your 2L summer there and get hired for post-grad employment.

The interviewing process involves 3 rounds. I made it to the last round but did not receive an offer. The law department was flooded with applications from top students at top schools because of the economy. I'm talking Columbia kids that thought they'd get biglaw but didn't and now need to get into government to get LRAP.
Salary starts at 60k.

But even in a great economy it is very competitive.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The interviewing process involves 3 rounds.
:o Is this true for the 1L application process as well, or just for 2L applicants? I'm interviewing this week, and I didn't realize the interview might just be the first of three rounds...

About how long does the interview take?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Is this true for the 1L application process as well, or just for 2L applicants? I'm interviewing this week, and I didn't realize the interview might just be the first of three rounds...
I only did the 2L cycle; I have no knowledge about the 1L program.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:54 pm

1. Bump

2. Due to the way they hire most of the people in the program (27 out of 30) it seems like it's exclusively for 2L, but I was curious. Do you think one is at a great disadvantage if not at a NY school? The alumni page seems pretty diverse but still highest # of Brooklyn and Cardozo grads.

In addition to the summer program, it seems like a pretty great job, particularly for non-fed govt. You start at 62k, get a raise after a year and NYC benefits, including pension. As for the job itself, live in NYC, work on interesting cases, all sounds great. If you ever did decide to leave for the private sector or another govt job I would think you'd have a pretty strong resume.

Can anyone who's done this speak to the experience? either in the summer program or actually working for NYC? How would this far as far as qualifying for LRAP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:23 pm

The NYC law department is extraordinarily competitive. The biggest selling point is that it is one of the only government programs in the nation that work like biglaw hiring--eg, you do your 2L summer there and get hired for post-grad employment.

The interviewing process involves 3 rounds. I made it to the last round but did not receive an offer. The law department was flooded with applications from top students at top schools because of the economy. I'm talking Columbia kids that thought they'd get biglaw but didn't and now need to get into government to get LRAP.
Salary starts at 60k.

But even in a great economy it is very competitive.
Me too, made it to the third round but was ultimately dinged. You might have noticed the sign-in sheet when you were there?

There were literally dozens and dozens of Columbia this, Columbia that interviewing the same day as evidenced by the sign-in sheet, and here I am looking sharp but coming from a mere tier 1. I had LR on my resume, etc, but I really never stood a chance. I'm pretty proud I made it that far.

I can't speak to the 1L process though as I was a 2L at the time of the interview.

The NYC Law Department is essentially off-limits if you are a not t-6 and high in rank. Let's just say I wouldn't hang your hat on getting an internship/job here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”