Best legal market in this economy

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby RVP11 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:29 pm

So the best parts of India look like California ghettos?

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby JJDancer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:46 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:So the best parts of India look like California ghettos?


Logic fail. I did not say that picture depicted the "best parts of India."
Simply implied it was better that the picture posted earlier.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby RVP11 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:02 pm

JJDancer wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:So the best parts of India look like California ghettos?


Logic fail. I did not say that picture depicted the "best parts of India."
Simply implied it was better that the picture posted earlier.


Logic fail? You're a tard.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby Renzo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:34 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:So the best parts of India look like California ghettos?


Logic fail. I did not say that picture depicted the "best parts of India."
Simply implied it was better that the picture posted earlier.


Logic fail? You're a tard.

Ease up there, Sara Palin.

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby kurla88 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:04 pm

You know what's classy? Dissing people/places with less money than you have.

India has nice parts and not-so-nice parts, just like anyplace else.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby RVP11 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:05 pm

kurla88 wrote:You know what's classy? Dissing people/places with less money than you have.

India has nice parts and not-so-nice parts, just like anyplace else.


Does every place in the world have people who can't take a joke?

And India's ratio of not-so-nice parts to nice parts is heavily in favor of the not-so-nice parts. It is a poor country. Let's not pretend like it, as a whole, looks nice.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:27 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
kurla88 wrote:You know what's classy? Dissing people/places with less money than you have.

India has nice parts and not-so-nice parts, just like anyplace else.


Does every place in the world have people who can't take a joke?

And India's ratio of not-so-nice parts to nice parts is heavily in favor of the not-so-nice parts. It is a poor country. Let's not pretend like it, as a whole, looks nice.


Yeah, but you could go there with half a million (US currency), never work another day in your life, and live like a fucking king for the rest of your days. Just the interest $500K would make in a low risk short term investment (e.g. a CD) would be around 25 times the per capita income of an Indian (in a slightly higher risk long term investment of an index of large cap stocks it would be around 50 times the per capita of an Indian).

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1914
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:30 pm

FWIW the Texas legal market is hurting pretty bad too. While I'd be shocked if several markets weren't hurting worse, I really can't say whether it's hurting the least or somewhere in the middle.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:34 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
kurla88 wrote:You know what's classy? Dissing people/places with less money than you have.

India has nice parts and not-so-nice parts, just like anyplace else.


Does every place in the world have people who can't take a joke?

And India's ratio of not-so-nice parts to nice parts is heavily in favor of the not-so-nice parts. It is a poor country. Let's not pretend like it, as a whole, looks nice.


Yeah, but you could go there with half a million (US currency), never work another day in your life, and live like a fucking king for the rest of your days. Just the interest $500K would make in a low risk short term investment (e.g. a CD) would be around 25 times the per capita income of an Indian (in a slightly higher risk long term investment of an index of large cap stocks it would be around 50 times the per capita of an Indian).


Live like a king huh? Have you ever lived there? The parts of India that someone from the US would want to live in are just as expensive as New York or DC. The 25x per capita idea only works if you are living in the lowest level of their society since the amount of poor people vastly outnumbers the amount of rich people and skews the per capita figure. To have a 'king' life there you need to be very rich even in Western terms.

User avatar
Ken
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:22 am

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby Ken » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:42 am

The California legal market is generally doing poorly.

However, I am in Silicon Valley and the legal economy is now doing well again as there have been no recent, major layoffs and some of the major firms are starting to hire again. Some of the corporate lawyers are doing well with the IPO work (obviously Facebook but several smaller companies as well) and intellectual property is picking up as well as companies are again investing in filing and protecting their patents and trademarks. This is definitely not the roaring market of earlier but I do see continued signs of a nascent expansion and I predict future hiring from the major law firms.

No market is great, but within the depressed California market Silicon Valley is picking up.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby Always Credited » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:59 am

KEN OUTTA NOWHERE

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby Bronck » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Always Credited wrote:KEN OUTTA NOWHERE

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:23 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Not necessarily supporting this answer but parts of India also look like this:

Image


They have FREEWAYS????

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Bronck wrote:
Always Credited wrote:KEN OUTTA NOWHERE

meownation
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 am

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby meownation » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:02 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
Not necessarily supporting this answer but parts of India also look like this:

Image


They have FREEWAYS????
Last edited by meownation on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby shoeshine » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:10 am

bk1 wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Always Credited wrote:KEN OUTTA NOWHERE


He is right though. The Silicon Valley/Tech Market is in a boom. But I am not sure how that translates into jobs for law students.

Personally, I am hoping to become Ken's legal intern.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby wiseowl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 am

meownation wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
Not necessarily supporting this answer but parts of India also look like this:

Image


They have FREEWAYS????


Shocking that some of the people on this thread are in, or considering, going to law school. Learn a little bit about the world you quags...


Indeed, because a crucial portion of the LSAT that really kills most applicants is "History of Indian Transportation Infrastructure." I'm glad I was ready.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:03 pm

RVP11 wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:Arizona & New Mexico...there are actually a shortage of attorney in proportion to the population of each respective state. This is also evident in the US News & World Report rankings.


How is this evident in the USNWR rankings?

And no. Arizona's economy is not in a good place at all. Neither is its legal market. I have confidence it will pull through, but right now I can't imagine many markets that are hurting more.



Can you please elaborate? It was to my understanding that AZ/NM had a decent (better than average) legal market because of the lack of lawyers compared to the population. That is to say, the market is not oversaturated with lawyers; therefore making it easier to attain legal employment.

drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby drbarry987 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

What kind of grades would you guys guess you would need to be competitive for an offer at an SV/SF firm from CCN (if born & raised in the Bay Area). Top third?

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:30 pm

drbarry987 wrote:What kind of grades would you guys guess you would need to be competitive for an offer at an SV/SF firm from CCN (if born & raised in the Bay Area). Top third?


Are you interest in IP? Do you have a tech background? If not, top third sounds about right.

BeautifulSW
Posts: 581
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby BeautifulSW » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:51 pm

New Mexico is actually a bit short of lawyers. No kidding; it's true. There are State jobs going begging and plenty of private firms are recruiting as well. You don't need to be T14 or law review (though top third of your class is a definite help).

What's the catch? There are two:

Most of the available positions are in rural areas and not necessarily scenic either. "Rural" can mean that the nearest real city is four or five hours' drive. One way.

Salaries are low. Really low. A new lawyer with, say, two or three years of practice experience will make between $40,000 and $50,000. Zero experience pay less. That's true of private practice and with the State. The very few federal slots in the state pay much better but they aren't easy to get. COL is low, true, (except maybe in Santa Fe) but if you owe Sallie Mae $125k, it won't be a very comfortable living.

If anyone is interested, we actually use the "classifieds" section of the Bar Bulletin to recruit. http://www.nmbar.org

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:13 pm

The Denver metro-area is growing very rapidly. I think that's a good pick here.

lobolawyer
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Postby lobolawyer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:21 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:New Mexico is actually a bit short of lawyers. No kidding; it's true. There are State jobs going begging and plenty of private firms are recruiting as well. You don't need to be T14 or law review (though top third of your class is a definite help).

What's the catch? There are two:

Most of the available positions are in rural areas and not necessarily scenic either. "Rural" can mean that the nearest real city is four or five hours' drive. One way.

Salaries are low. Really low. A new lawyer with, say, two or three years of practice experience will make between $40,000 and $50,000. Zero experience pay less. That's true of private practice and with the State. The very few federal slots in the state pay much better but they aren't easy to get. COL is low, true, (except maybe in Santa Fe) but if you owe Sallie Mae $125k, it won't be a very comfortable living.


If anyone is interested, we actually use the "classifieds" section of the Bar Bulletin to recruit. http://www.nmbar.org


The median pay for 2011 UNM grads (new lawyers, 0 experience) was $53k. After 3+ years of experience, I'm sure it's higher. Also, I can think of 10-12 ABQ firms off the top of my head who start associates at 70k+. That being said, I agree with the rest of your post and doubt we have the strongest market ITE, but I'd be surprised if we weren't in the top 10 or so.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.