Best legal market in this economy Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RVP11

Gold

Re: Best legal market in this economy

Post by RVP11 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:29 pm

So the best parts of India look like California ghettos?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:46 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:So the best parts of India look like California ghettos?
Logic fail. I did not say that picture depicted the "best parts of India."
Simply implied it was better that the picture posted earlier.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:02 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Logic fail? You're a tard.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:34 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
Logic fail? You're a tard.
Ease up there, Sara Palin.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:04 pm

You know what's classy? Dissing people/places with less money than you have.

India has nice parts and not-so-nice parts, just like anyplace else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:05 pm

kurla88 wrote:You know what's classy? Dissing people/places with less money than you have.

Does every place in the world have people who can't take a joke?

And India's ratio of not-so-nice parts to nice parts is heavily in favor of the not-so-nice parts. It is a poor country. Let's not pretend like it, as a whole, looks nice.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:27 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
kurla88 wrote:You know what's classy? Dissing people/places with less money than you have.

And India's ratio of not-so-nice parts to nice parts is heavily in favor of the not-so-nice parts. It is a poor country. Let's not pretend like it, as a whole, looks nice.
Yeah, but you could go there with half a million (US currency), never work another day in your life, and live like a fucking king for the rest of your days. Just the interest $500K would make in a low risk short term investment (e.g. a CD) would be around 25 times the per capita income of an Indian (in a slightly higher risk long term investment of an index of large cap stocks it would be around 50 times the per capita of an Indian).

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:30 pm

FWIW the Texas legal market is hurting pretty bad too. While I'd be shocked if several markets weren't hurting worse, I really can't say whether it's hurting the least or somewhere in the middle.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:34 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

Yeah, but you could go there with half a million (US currency), never work another day in your life, and live like a fucking king for the rest of your days. Just the interest $500K would make in a low risk short term investment (e.g. a CD) would be around 25 times the per capita income of an Indian (in a slightly higher risk long term investment of an index of large cap stocks it would be around 50 times the per capita of an Indian).
Live like a king huh? Have you ever lived there? The parts of India that someone from the US would want to live in are just as expensive as New York or DC. The 25x per capita idea only works if you are living in the lowest level of their society since the amount of poor people vastly outnumbers the amount of rich people and skews the per capita figure. To have a 'king' life there you need to be very rich even in Western terms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:42 am

The California legal market is generally doing poorly.

However, I am in Silicon Valley and the legal economy is now doing well again as there have been no recent, major layoffs and some of the major firms are starting to hire again. Some of the corporate lawyers are doing well with the IPO work (obviously Facebook but several smaller companies as well) and intellectual property is picking up as well as companies are again investing in filing and protecting their patents and trademarks. This is definitely not the roaring market of earlier but I do see continued signs of a nascent expansion and I predict future hiring from the major law firms.

No market is great, but within the depressed California market Silicon Valley is picking up.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:59 am

KEN OUTTA NOWHERE

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Always Credited wrote:KEN OUTTA NOWHERE

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:23 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Not necessarily supporting this answer but parts of India also look like this:

They have FREEWAYS????

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Bronck wrote:

meownation

New

Post by meownation » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:02 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

They have FREEWAYS????
Last edited by meownation on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:10 am

bk187 wrote:
Bronck wrote:
He is right though. The Silicon Valley/Tech Market is in a boom. But I am not sure how that translates into jobs for law students.

Personally, I am hoping to become Ken's legal intern.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 am

meownation wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

They have FREEWAYS????
Shocking that some of the people on this thread are in, or considering, going to law school. Learn a little bit about the world you quags...
Indeed, because a crucial portion of the LSAT that really kills most applicants is "History of Indian Transportation Infrastructure." I'm glad I was ready.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:03 pm

RVP11 wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:Arizona & New Mexico...there are actually a shortage of attorney in proportion to the population of each respective state. This is also evident in the US News & World Report rankings.
How is this evident in the USNWR rankings?

And no. Arizona's economy is not in a good place at all. Neither is its legal market. I have confidence it will pull through, but right now I can't imagine many markets that are hurting more.

Can you please elaborate? It was to my understanding that AZ/NM had a decent (better than average) legal market because of the lack of lawyers compared to the population. That is to say, the market is not oversaturated with lawyers; therefore making it easier to attain legal employment.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

What kind of grades would you guys guess you would need to be competitive for an offer at an SV/SF firm from CCN (if born & raised in the Bay Area). Top third?

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:30 pm

drbarry987 wrote:What kind of grades would you guys guess you would need to be competitive for an offer at an SV/SF firm from CCN (if born & raised in the Bay Area). Top third?
Are you interest in IP? Do you have a tech background? If not, top third sounds about right.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:51 pm

New Mexico is actually a bit short of lawyers. No kidding; it's true. There are State jobs going begging and plenty of private firms are recruiting as well. You don't need to be T14 or law review (though top third of your class is a definite help).

What's the catch? There are two:

Most of the available positions are in rural areas and not necessarily scenic either. "Rural" can mean that the nearest real city is four or five hours' drive. One way.

Salaries are low. Really low. A new lawyer with, say, two or three years of practice experience will make between $40,000 and $50,000. Zero experience pay less. That's true of private practice and with the State. The very few federal slots in the state pay much better but they aren't easy to get. COL is low, true, (except maybe in Santa Fe) but if you owe Sallie Mae $125k, it won't be a very comfortable living.

If anyone is interested, we actually use the "classifieds" section of the Bar Bulletin to recruit. http://www.nmbar.org

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:13 pm

The Denver metro-area is growing very rapidly. I think that's a good pick here.

lobolawyer

Bronze

Post by lobolawyer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:21 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:New Mexico is actually a bit short of lawyers. No kidding; it's true. There are State jobs going begging and plenty of private firms are recruiting as well. You don't need to be T14 or law review (though top third of your class is a definite help).

What's the catch? There are two:

Most of the available positions are in rural areas and not necessarily scenic either. "Rural" can mean that the nearest real city is four or five hours' drive. One way.

Salaries are low. Really low. A new lawyer with, say, two or three years of practice experience will make between $40,000 and $50,000. Zero experience pay less. That's true of private practice and with the State. The very few federal slots in the state pay much better but they aren't easy to get. COL is low, true, (except maybe in Santa Fe) but if you owe Sallie Mae $125k, it won't be a very comfortable living.

If anyone is interested, we actually use the "classifieds" section of the Bar Bulletin to recruit. http://www.nmbar.org
The median pay for 2011 UNM grads (new lawyers, 0 experience) was $53k. After 3+ years of experience, I'm sure it's higher. Also, I can think of 10-12 ABQ firms off the top of my head who start associates at 70k+. That being said, I agree with the rest of your post and doubt we have the strongest market ITE, but I'd be surprised if we weren't in the top 10 or so.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”