1L Summer for Lazy Students........

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer for Lazy Students........

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:52 pm

It really seems that for 1L summer it doesn't really matter what you did, "as long as you did something." I assume that this something does not involve backpacking through Europe. What if you took summer school or did some research project with a professor? What if you worked part-time at a small local firm while enjoying the rest of the summer? I am gung-ho for 2L summer but for this summer I'd like to relax as much as possible. Ramifications of taking summer school classes/working part-time, etc.?

gglr24

Re: 1L Summer for Lazy Students........

Postby gglr24 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:21 pm

Try to quit being lazy, you won't have time to be lazy anymore... The idea is not to just do something, but to do "something legal." I would stay away from summer school. You need some practical experience. If you really are adamant on taking it easy, do part-time law firm work or research assistantship with a professor in addition to taking summer classes. Why don't you try to do a small law firm for like 8-10 weeks full-time?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:35 pm

There are 3L's and deferred associates competing for unpaid work in the current economy, and you want to just want to relax? That, my friend, takes stones!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Renzo wrote:There are 3L's and deferred associates competing for unpaid work in the current economy, and you want to just want to relax? That, my friend, takes stones!

Haha. I go to school in a rural market where my school is the only law school in the state and trust me, the competition for these jobs is nothing like what most of you guys see. I have no aspirations of biglaw and basically want to do personal injury, so........

Edit: lol, most of you probably know who I am anyway, don't really know why I went anonymous here.....

2nd Edit: Another thing is that I would be excited to try something but I really, really hate working for people and kissing butt all day, I can't imagine how that'd feel for no money! Paid jobs for me are likely a 0% possibility, who knows though if I did well grade wise.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:52 pm

gglr24 wrote:Try to quit being lazy, you won't have time to be lazy anymore... The idea is not to just do something, but to do "something legal." I would stay away from summer school. You need some practical experience. If you really are adamant on taking it easy, do part-time law firm work or research assistantship with a professor in addition to taking summer classes. Why don't you try to do a small law firm for like 8-10 weeks full-time?

Does that mean people who transfer from part time to full time after 1L and have to go to summer school are at a big disadvantage at OCI?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:56 pm

If I strike out with my applications with respect to firm jobs, externships, and unpaid gov't internships, I'll try to work as a RA for a professor over the summer and take 2-3 un-curved courses.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:58 pm

I have actually thought about returning to public accounting over the summer to intern in the tax dept ... I came from an audit / forensics background. I plan to pursue joint JD/LLM in Taxation over 6 semesters. Nevertheless, I feel that having worked in public accounting for 5 years, it would be frowned upon to return as an intern!

Return to “Legal Employment”