1L judicial internship state court of appeals okay?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschool7777

1L judicial internship state court of appeals okay?

Postby lawschool7777 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:42 pm

Would it be unwise to intern with a judge from a state court of appeals during 1L summer as opposed to a federal court? Thanks

vamedic03

Re: 1L judicial internship state court of appeals okay?

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:11 am

Last edited by vamedic03 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:49 pm

My school is heavily encouraging 1Ls to apply to state courts for externships over the summer... and not just the court of appeals or Supreme State Courts. I honestly don't see what would be the problem with seeing how a real court works anyway. Few of us are going to spend substantial time in courts of appeals after all.

And it is not like someone is going to say, WOW you externed at the Federal level, I now very much would like to hire you. Neither will they say WOW, you externed at a state court house, you suck--enjoy document review, loser.

CCA

Postby CCA » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:35 pm

I am applying to state courts from trial to supreme level, along with federal courts. I thought it would be a better chance to at least get something, especially since I think I'm applying on the later side.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:49 pm

lawschool7777 wrote:Would it be unwise to intern with a judge from a state court of appeals during 1L summer as opposed to a federal court? Thanks

Not at all! Federal Externships will be increasingly more difficult to come by in this market. I applied to 50+ federal judges on 12/15. If I don't receive any interest or receive an offer, I have another pile of applications to make to various state court judges. Best of Luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:16 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
lawschool7777 wrote:Would it be unwise to intern with a judge from a state court of appeals during 1L summer as opposed to a federal court? Thanks

Not at all! Federal Externships will be increasingly more difficult to come by in this market. I applied to 50+ federal judges on 12/15. If I don't receive any interest or receive an offer, I have another pile of applications to make to various state court judges. Best of Luck!

At what point do you guys think it is getting on the late side for applying to state / local judges? I was thinking about waiting until February if nothing pans out with a federal judge. I was under the impression that shouldn't be too late for non-federal judges right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

At what point do you guys think it is getting on the late side for applying to state / local judges? I was thinking about waiting until February if nothing pans out with a federal judge. I was under the impression that shouldn't be too late for non-federal judges right?

I would start applying now. I emailed out applications about 1.5 weeks ago for both federal and state judges and one PD internship. PD and federal judges offered positions/interviews but state judges haven't responded yet. State judges generally demand fewer interns and seem slower to respond with interviews.

Return to “Legal Employment”