i want V10

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Plutonium
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:42 pm

i want V10

Postby Plutonium » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:12 pm

I want to work V10, I'm entering law school in the fall.

WHAT do I need to do??

So far, I know:

-Grades should be superb

Other than that, I HAVE NO IDEA!!

HELP!

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Be top 5% and Law Review at Harvard OR go to Yale.

gglr24
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:47 am

Re: i want V10

Postby gglr24 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Go buy a rosary

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby superserial » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:19 pm

TYPE LIKE THIS!!!!!!

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby CE2JD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:24 pm

Plutonium wrote:I want to work V10, I'm entering law school in the fall.

WHAT do I need to do??

So far, I know:

-Grades should be superb

Other than that, I HAVE NO IDEA!!

HELP!


You have no chance. Cut your losses and become a garbageman.

User avatar
DavidYurman85
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

Re: i want V10

Postby DavidYurman85 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:27 pm

Could be pretty hard coming from Drexel/Villanova/Temple. But good luck!

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby TTT-LS » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:51 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: i want V10

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:59 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Be top 5% and Law Review at Harvard OR go to Yale.



False. Columbia and Chicago send the highest percent of their grads to V10 firms. Columbia sends around 30%, Chicago around 20%.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby kurama20 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Be top 5% and Law Review at Harvard OR go to Yale.



False. Columbia and Chicago send the highest percent of their grads to V10 firms. Columbia sends around 30%, Chicago around 20%.


Yeah I have to say that was a severe overstatement of how selective the V10 actually is. Except for Wachtell that's definitely not neccesary. Really a lot of the non V10 boutique firms are a lot more selective than say Skadden or Davis Polk. You probably wouldn't even need top 5 percent at GULC to get a V10. Kids' getting top 5 percent at Harvard + Law Review are going on to clerk for Kozini on the 9th or tje judges on the DC circuit, then getting Bristow fellowships and SCOTUS clerkships, then working for firms like Kellogg Huber, Munger, and Williams and Connolly. They're usually not working at Skadden and Debevoise. Going to Columbia or Chicago gives you an especially good shot at the V10.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby TTT-LS » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:47 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Zeppelin
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby The Zeppelin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Take your teeth out and get some knee pads.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby Ragged » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:52 pm

The Zeppelin wrote:Take your teeth out and get some knee pads.


Wha-- oh... :|

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby kurama20 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:57 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
kurama20 wrote:Kids' getting top 5 percent at Harvard + Law Review are going on to clerk for Kozini on the 9th or tje judges on the DC circuit, then getting Bristow fellowships and SCOTUS clerkships, then working for firms like Kellogg Huber, Munger, and Williams and Connolly. They're usually not working at Skadden and Debevoise.

LOL @ top 5% at HLS = auto Kozinski + SCOTUS. Going to need to be higher than that...

Also, LOL at this ridiculous notion that seems to crop here consistently that all the top grads go to high-end lit botiques, as though those are the mecca for the truly brilliant. Though W&C et al hire plenty of top 5% types, it isn't as though all top 5%ers are destined to end up there. Academia, DOJ/SG, appellate lit in DC biglaw, and yes, even Debevoise type firms all get their share of these grads.


Obviously they don't all go to lit boutiques, that's pretty obvious, that didn't need to be stated. There just seems to be this idea that you HAVE to be top 5 percent at Harvard or go to Yale to get a V10, that's not even close to true. The V10 hires many grads with worse credentials than that at lower ranked schools. You don't have to ace 1L at HYS to go to the V10 like many on here think. LOL at this ridiculous notion that all the top grads even want to go to the holy V10, as though those jobs are the mecca for the truly brilliant.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: i want V10

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:09 pm

Plutonium wrote:I want to work V10, I'm entering law school in the fall.

WHAT do I need to do??

So far, I know:

-Grades should be superb

Other than that, I HAVE NO IDEA!!

HELP!

Than you are a vacuous and insecure prestige whore of the worst variety. What if you get in a Kirkland, but they fall out of the Vault 10? Will you quit? Killself?

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby acdisagod » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:11 pm

It's not false. Columbia and Chicago send more to V-10 but thats due to self selection. Harvard or Yale students have a better shot at v10 if thats what they want.

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby superserial » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:13 pm

Renzo wrote:
Plutonium wrote:I want to work V10, I'm entering law school in the fall.

WHAT do I need to do??

So far, I know:

-Grades should be superb

Other than that, I HAVE NO IDEA!!

HELP!

Than you are a vacuous and insecure prestige whore of the worst variety. What if you get in a Kirkland, but they fall out of the Vault 10? Will you quit? Killself?


OP's troll persona doesn't have to worry about this scenario. His other post says he has a 151.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby Ragged » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:12 pm

superserial wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Plutonium wrote:I want to work V10, I'm entering law school in the fall.

WHAT do I need to do??

So far, I know:

-Grades should be superb

Other than that, I HAVE NO IDEA!!

HELP!

Than you are a vacuous and insecure prestige whore of the worst variety. What if you get in a Kirkland, but they fall out of the Vault 10? Will you quit? Killself?


OP's troll persona doesn't have to worry about this scenario. His other post says he has a 151.


He should take Zeppelin's advice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: i want V10

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:40 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Be top 5% and Law Review at Harvard OR go to Yale.



False. Columbia and Chicago send the highest percent of their grads to V10 firms. Columbia sends around 30%, Chicago around 20%.


Yeah I have to say that was a severe overstatement of how selective the V10 actually is. Except for Wachtell that's definitely not neccesary. Really a lot of the non V10 boutique firms are a lot more selective than say Skadden or Davis Polk. You probably wouldn't even need top 5 percent at GULC to get a V10. Kids' getting top 5 percent at Harvard + Law Review are going on to clerk for Kozini on the 9th or tje judges on the DC circuit, then getting Bristow fellowships and SCOTUS clerkships, then working for firms like Kellogg Huber, Munger, and Williams and Connolly. They're usually not working at Skadden and Debevoise. Going to Columbia or Chicago gives you an especially good shot at the V10.


How does one even get top 5% or top 10% at HLS/YLS when it's all H/P? Seems like a ton of people can get mostly H.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby kurama20 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Be top 5% and Law Review at Harvard OR go to Yale.



False. Columbia and Chicago send the highest percent of their grads to V10 firms. Columbia sends around 30%, Chicago around 20%.


Yeah I have to say that was a severe overstatement of how selective the V10 actually is. Except for Wachtell that's definitely not neccesary. Really a lot of the non V10 boutique firms are a lot more selective than say Skadden or Davis Polk. You probably wouldn't even need top 5 percent at GULC to get a V10. Kids' getting top 5 percent at Harvard + Law Review are going on to clerk for Kozini on the 9th or tje judges on the DC circuit, then getting Bristow fellowships and SCOTUS clerkships, then working for firms like Kellogg Huber, Munger, and Williams and Connolly. They're usually not working at Skadden and Debevoise. Going to Columbia or Chicago gives you an especially good shot at the V10.


How does one even get top 5% or top 10% at HLS/YLS when it's all H/P? Seems like a ton of people can get mostly H.


LOL that's another thing that I was about to say when I saw that post. Really almost anyone who graduates magna cum laude at Harvard can get a COA clerkship. The clerkship numbers support this too. About 15 HLS students clerk on the 9th every year alone, another 10 on the DC circuit, and another 10 on the 2nd. If you are "top 5 percent" at HLS and not socially inept you will have the opportunity to do essentially whatever you want except get a SCOTUS clerkship or a Bristow fellowship. Hell you have a good shot at those.

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby BradyToMoss » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:55 am

The "recommended" curve hands out "H" to 37% of students (in reality the number is higher). If H is like most any other school, there must be a solid amount of kids finishing up with "Straight H's".

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: i want V10

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 am

Law Review at GT + JAG is more likely to get you into W&C than just attending Yale.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: i want V10

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 am

kurama20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
How does one even get top 5% or top 10% at HLS/YLS when it's all H/P? Seems like a ton of people can get mostly H.

LOL that's another thing that I was about to say when I saw that post. Really almost anyone who graduates magna cum laude at Harvard can get a COA clerkship. The clerkship numbers support this too. About 15 HLS students clerk on the 9th every year alone, another 10 on the DC circuit, and another 10 on the 2nd. If you are "top 5 percent" at HLS and not socially inept you will have the opportunity to do essentially whatever you want except get a SCOTUS clerkship or a Bristow fellowship. Hell you have a good shot at those.


Sorry to digress, but what is the difference between a Bristow fellowship and the special assistance to the SG in the DOJ Honors program? Seems very similar.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: i want V10

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:47 pm

The op actually does have a good question. Assuming a T14 school, where in the class rank do you need to be to start having shots at the top schools in Nyc and dc?

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: i want V10

Postby awesomepossum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:51 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Be top 5% and Law Review at Harvard OR go to Yale.



It's not QUITE that bad. I'm about top 25% at Michigan and I had a V10 offer....which I turned down for a V15 offer.

I know other folks who aren't anywhere near top 5% at Michigan who had V10 and V5 offers as well.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: i want V10

Postby kurama20 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:58 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Be top 5% and Law Review at Harvard OR go to Yale.



It's not QUITE that bad. I'm about top 25% at Michigan and I had a V10 offer....which I turned down for a V15 offer.

I know other folks who aren't anywhere near top 5% at Michigan who had V10 and V5 offers as well.


Honestly if it was so bad to the point where a top 5 percent HLS grad would be considered "lucky" to get a V10 job, a top 10 degree would truly not be worth it. About the only job a top 5 percent HLS grad should have trouble getting is a SCOTUS clerkship (and they still have a decent shot at that).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.