OCI for part-time to full-time students

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rockthelaw

OCI for part-time to full-time students

Postby rockthelaw » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 am

Just a hypothetical. If you do your 1L part-time at a good school like GULC, GW, or Fordham, finish in the top 10% of your class, and make the switch to full-time by catching up on classes over the summer, will OCI be of any use to you?

avacado111

Re: OCI for part-time to full-time students

Postby avacado111 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:11 am

good school would only be Gtown in that situation, unless you had a full ride to some of the other schools.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:15 am

avacado111 wrote:good school would only be Gtown in that situation, unless you had a full ride to some of the other schools.

**IBTOS**

resilience99

Postby resilience99 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:11 am

tag.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 am

rockthelaw wrote:Just a hypothetical. If you do your 1L part-time at a good school like GULC, GW, or Fordham, finish in the top 10% of your class, and make the switch to full-time by catching up on classes over the summer, will OCI be of any use to you?

Yes, you can do OCI, and you will be judged like any other FT student. I was top 10% from PT, switched to FT, and got something from OCI, and I don't go to Gtown.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:26 am

awesomepossum wrote:
avacado111 wrote:good school would only be Gtown in that situation, unless you had a full ride to some of the other schools.

**IBTOS**

??

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:45 am

At Georgtown at least, they are treated the same as full time straight through students.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:Just a hypothetical. If you do your 1L part-time at a good school like GULC, GW, or Fordham, finish in the top 10% of your class, and make the switch to full-time by catching up on classes over the summer, will OCI be of any use to you?

Yes, you can do OCI, and you will be judged like any other FT student. I was top 10% from PT, switched to FT, and got something from OCI, and I don't go to Gtown.

Depends on the school. At my school, students need 30 credit hours to be eligible for OCI. Part-time students complete 21 credit hours in their first year and there is no way to make up 9 credit hours in time for 2L OCI.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:05 pm

At Fordham at least, pt students that transfer to ft do OCI just like ft students after catching up in the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Huluba wrote:At Fordham at least, pt students that transfer to ft do OCI just like ft students after catching up in the summer.

how do they calculate class rank when you transfer from pt to ft?

Mount Elbrus

Postby Mount Elbrus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Huluba wrote:At Fordham at least, pt students that transfer to ft do OCI just like ft students after catching up in the summer.

At my school, they ranked everyone by graduation year. For the part time students who were on the 4 year plan, you would be ranked against the other part timers at the end of your 1st year. At the end of your 2nd year you were ranked against everyone graduating in your year (part timers completing their 2nd year and full timers completing their 1st year). I would imagine that if you transfered divisions, you would be ranked along side those who had just completed 1L year since you would all be graduating in the same year now.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Mount Elbrus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You get ranked along with full time students. Summer classes do not count towards ranking. So yes, you are getting ranked with less credits. Employees see your summer grades on your transcript but they aren't factored in your ranking when you input bids.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:21 am

At Fordham my experience was that the people who transferred to day with top grades all did very well at OCI, and so did the people with decent grades (top 1/3 or above median with IP etc.) who stayed part time. The people who did not do well at OCI were the ones who transferred to full-time without the top 10% grades because I guess firms didn't appreciate the lighter class load without working if you didn't get top grades.'

In retrospect, if I was doing things again I would spend 2L taking nothing but Law and * classes to maximize my GPA as an evening student ahead of OCI since your 2L year is averaged in as a evening student when your GPA is ranked against the full time 1Ls. I didn't do this but I know a couple of people who did. It probably would have made the whole process less stressful if grades didn't come up in as many interviews.

Return to “Legal Employment”